Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portugal, Ireland and a River Cruise, Or.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning for this trip is in the infantry stages and I am going to need a LOT of help.

Some background:
We have enough air miles to fly anywhere in the world but couldn't decide where we should go and it all seemed overwhelming so have sat on this for a couple of years. I am ready to take the plunge and start the process. We have heard good things about Portugal, always have wanted to see Ireland (both of our ancestors are from there). Also very intrigued by the Europe River Cruises.

My hubby has no interest in helping to plan the trip and is happy to go wherever, just point him in the right direction. So, I am looking for guidance from the knowledgable Fodorites here.

I had thought 2 weeks in each of Portugal and Ireland then a 2 week trip on a River Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest but now I am wondering if we might be better do do about 3 or so weeks in Ireland, then the River cruise and a few days in Budapest before flying home, leaving Portugal for another trip..

We are looking at going next August, but that is not carved in stone, depending on recommendations for the best time to go, June thru Sept or Oct.

So where do I start? How do we plan our itinerary, do we use public transportation or rent a car? I don't think we want to go on a tour and follow like sheep the whole time but not against taking tours here and there.

So, I could go on and on with questions but thought I'd start with this much and see where to go from there.

Thanks for reading!
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Still hoping someone is going to take pity on me and help me figure out where to begin in planning our trip. Where to start?? Suggested itineraries?

I have always received such wonderful advice on this forum.
We have travelled extensively in Canada and the U.S. (we are RVing Snowbirders) and been to Australia & NZ but Europe is a whole new world to us and I find it overwhelming.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 09:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Does your trip jave to take place in August, the month when Europeans travel on their summer holidays?
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 10:52 AM

Interesting options. I'd be inclined to choose 3 weeks in Ireland, river cruise, and some time at the end in Budapest but I would also add some time in the beginning to see Amsterdam and things in that area. Probably 2.5 weeks in Ireland if you add some time in the Netherlands.

From your choices I'd say you're a leisurely traveler and 2.5 to 3 weeks in Ireland will give you lots of time to explore and meander. You'd want a car in Ireland but not in Budapest as it's a city and cars are an inconvenience in cities. If Ireland includes Dublin then see that city first or last without a car.

I hate hot weather so I'd be more inclined to choose June or September.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the above plan. It is very easy to do day trips from Amsterdam to Haarlem, Delft, The Hague.
You would only need to rent a car in Ireland; you'll get used to driving on the other side of the road. Keep in mind that most European car rentals are manual shift. Automatics are less available and much more expensive. Look at www.autoeurope.com for rentals, a US based auto rental broker.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. No, it doesn't have to be July or August so good point. I wasn't sure how the weather would be there in Oct so that is why I was going for an earlier start. We are planning on probably 6-7 weeks but that is not carved in stone.

You are right, we are leisurely travels so I am thinking just Ireland and the River Cruise might be the way to go. Good point on allowing a few days in Amsterdam, hadn't thought of that. Didn't know that auto shift would be more expensive so thanks for that info.

Hubby did drive in Australia and we survived so I am sure he can brush up on his 'wrong side' driving skills. Now if I can remember not to get in the drivers side I'll be doing good.

As for touring Ireland would you suggest, just the north or south or the entire circle trip with 3 weeks to tour?

Happy to get any other ideas and tips.