Rome,Firenza,Tuscany, Venice--How to Dress

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time my husband and I traveled to Italy was in the summer. I know some things can't be helped, but I don't want to look like a typical "tourist". In the summer, I always wore casual dresses and skirts.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 05:03 AM

You did not say when you are traveling.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM

There are a lot of threads on this forum on how to dress when traveling and I simply do not understand the obsession. When I travel I take what I already own; clothes that I wear at home when I am not a tourist.

When traveling I've seen tourists wear all sorts of clothing so I'm at a loss as to what the "typical" tourist wears. If you're visiting a "tourist" site then everyone will know you are a tourist, why does it matter what you wear. What is wrong with what you wore the last time - casual dresses and skirts.

The only rule I know of in Italy is that you must cover your shoulders and knees when visiting churches.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

We are traveling in late September/October.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:17 AM

I'm with adrienne on this one.

I suppose that what some people think of as "typical" tourists are the kind who seem to go slightly insane when on holiday and dress in clothes whose covering ability is in inverse proportion to their wearers' bulk.
I remember being in a cafe in Venice and seeing the waiters in hoots of laughter as a group of such tourists walked by.
Those are the ones you notice, but the vast majority of tourists dress perfectly normally and can only be identified by their guidebooks and cameras.
Don't forget that many tourists in places like Rome and Venice are actually Italian themselves.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:33 AM

In late September/October Venice will be cool and windy around the water areas and much warmer on the interior streets. I would wear slacks with tee shirts/turtle necks and sweaters/jackets that you can remove when it is warm. Bring a water repellent wind breaker with hood so you don't have to carry an umbrella. Something that's really good in cool/cold weather and not bulky to pack or carry is a fleece vest to go under a jacket.

Choose one neutral color (black/navy) for your slacks/sweater/jacket and coordinate. Bring some colorful scarves to brighten your mood when the skies are gray.

You're entering the rainy season so your footwear should be water repellent and sturdy to grip wet cobbles. Lace up walking shoes are best.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Forgot to add that Rome will be a lot warmer than Venice as it is not on the coast. You will need some short-sleeved shirts for warm days.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM

When we were in Italy at that time a few years back it was still pretty warm but the locals were all dressing like it was already fall. They seem to follow a calendar more than the weather for deciding what to wear--sweaters and jackets even though it was still almost 80 degrees, for example! So bring Fall clothes and you should be fine.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, for your input. I was stymied as to the weather--it helps to know what to prepare for.