Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Fine Dining (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-fine-dining-131579/)

Kate Webster Jun 21st, 2001 06:44 PM

Rome Fine Dining

My Husband & I will visit Rome in 11/2001 to celebrate our 10 yr. anniversary. We are "foodies" to the core...and while I know that there are a ton of really great restaurants in Rome, I was wondering if anyone had info on any really fine-dining types of restaurants in Rome for one very special night. We usually use the Zagats guide...but I couldn't find one for Rome. Thanks, Kate

elaine Jun 22nd, 2001 06:00 AM

Kate <BR>I'm planning my own trip to Rome and I am also interested in fine restaurants. <BR>I'll pass along these restaurant resources, in addition to suggesting your doing a search on Rome restaurants on this message board, and also checking the Rants and Raves for Rome restaurants on this Fodors website. <BR> <BR>travelocity.com <BR>timeout.com <BR>twenj.com <BR>scalareale.org <BR>lowestfare.com <BR>winespectator.com <BR>cnn.com <BR>igougo.com <BR>concierge.com <BR>frommers.com <BR> <BR>I've been collecting recommendations into my new file on Rome which I'll be happy to send you if you email me <BR>

Rex Jun 22nd, 2001 08:13 AM

A true "foodie's" delight: Vivendo in the spectacular (newly multi-billion lire renovated) St. Regis Grand hotel on Piazza della Repubblica. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

claire Jun 22nd, 2001 08:25 AM

You might also look at Fred Plotkin's marvelous book, Gourmet Guide to Italy. Though it was paublished in 1996, if you find some interesting entries, you could then e-mail Plotkin and/or ask others for updates on those places. Good luck!

Paula Jun 22nd, 2001 04:13 PM

I was in Rome recently visiting my husband who is on 6 mos. deployment :( and we wanted to find a restaurant for a particularily special night. We chose Il Convivio. It was fabulous!

wendy Jun 23rd, 2001 08:17 AM

I had the pleasure of meeting Fred Plotkin in NYC last year, and I used his book for a two month foodie trip through Italy....there were a lot of great suggestions, but as he said, things change so fast, if I found I didn't like something, he wanted me to be sure to let him know. I found that the more I explored on my own, I enjoyed finding my own little places, but his book was a fantastic guide!<BR><BR>In Rome, I loved Tre Scalini on the Piazza Navona, and the chocolate dessert (I just drew a blank on the name of it...anyone?) is HEAVENLY!<BR><BR>However, if you REALLY want to splurge, La Pergola, in the Hilton on via Cadlolo not only has incredible views, but the food, ah! mammma mia, I am STILL dreaming of the pheasant breast stuffed with wild mushrooms and cheese.... expensive but worth it!

linda Jun 23rd, 2001 08:56 AM

Kate,<BR>WE just returned from Italy 6-16-01 and had a celebration for our daughter's 15th birthday at La Terrazza at the top of the Eden Hotel. The food was fabulous (with all the elegant flourishes)as was the service( very gracious and and after inquring about the wine they steamed the label and presented it to me after dinner) and the view( we enjoyed sunset as it was summer but the nighttime city lights are magical). Our concierge made the reservation and I had told him it is was her birthday. To our surprise they made an entire cake for our table, chocolate and quite delicious. It was our most elegant meal in three weeks of traveling. Enjoy.

elayne Jun 23rd, 2001 09:18 AM

I am leaving for Rome tomorrow and was highly recommended to Agata E Romeo. My friends said not to miss.<BR>Elayne

Kate Webster Jun 27th, 2001 07:41 PM

Thanks to all who replied to this post. I'll keep researching &amp; posting any information that I find. <BR><BR>Also, a fellow foodie friend was in Rome about 5 years ago &amp; said that her favorite restaurant was Vecchia Roma near the old Jewish section of the city.<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR>Kate

Karen Jun 28th, 2001 02:38 AM

During our week in Rome, last week, we used several different guides as well as past experience to choose restaurants. The most reliable guide was Gambero Rosso. It's an Italian restaurant guide. They have a website, and you can order their Rome guide in English from Amazon. We had dinner at Vecchia Roma (beautiful setting and good food) and Sabatini in Trastevere (also very good, and fun) among others. But use Gambero Rosso. Their highest designation is three forks--the only three-fork restaurant we sampled was Da Arnolfo in Colle Val d'Elsa, and that was truly special! I would trust their ratings more than Michelin or the other guides we used.

JOdu Jun 28th, 2001 03:48 AM

Vecchia Roma gets my vote also. It is our favirite roman restaurant, lovely at night to sit outside under white umbrellas, try the antipasta di Mare, all kinds of shellfish we never see here in US, winkles, ladyfinger clams, octupus, squid, etc super.<BR><BR>wendy -the choc. ice cream thing - is tartufo,,yummmmmmmmm

Julie Jun 28th, 2001 11:58 AM

Have to agree with Linda, I loved La Terraza which was on the top of the Hotel Eden. Their address/phone info is: Via Ludovisi (near Via Veneto) 06-478-121. It was a real treat!

Rhonda Jun 28th, 2001 12:14 PM

I am sorry to report Sabatini is no longer on the "A" list. We ate there last month and had a truly awful meal. It used to be so good, oh well.

sally Jun 28th, 2001 01:10 PM

I second Il Convivio. A bit hard to find, but well-worth the effort. The atmosphere was not what I would think it would be atop the Eden or the Hassler, but the food was first rate.

Diane Jun 28th, 2001 07:21 PM

A few mentioned Veccia Roma, where isit near? I'd love to try it, going in September.. Thanks.

JOdy Jun 29th, 2001 02:36 AM

I could lead you there with my eyes shut but since I don't know the names of all the streets , its at the top of a hill above the jewish quarter, on Via della Tribuna di Campitelli, right at the start ofpiazza campitelli You can go up thru the quarter or from the Tiber side walk around Teatro Marcellus and up the hill.. great directions , huh. I'm sure if you asked your hotel and gave them the address they could point you in the right direction!<BR>The phone number I have is rather old and may have changed but it is 686 4604

topper Jun 30th, 2001 01:52 PM

Topping for diane

Ruth Jul 1st, 2001 05:54 AM

Since a couple people mentioned Fred Plotkin's book, I want to ask if anyone has eaten at a restaurant he raved about, Il Pellicano, in Rome. We're going back in November and may seek it out. Also, we ate at one of Mario Battali's restaurants on a trip to NYC this last week and asked if anyone had any recommendations for Rome. The Italian staff member our waiter asked recommended using the Gambero Rosso (which I had bought from Amazon) and said it was very reliable.

Kate Jul 3rd, 2001 08:09 AM

Just briefly checked out the Gambero Rosso web site (has an English version.) I saw a reference to one of their books, "Ristoranti d'Italia 2000." It had a a listing of "Tre Forchette 2000" which listed their top picks in Italy. There was one mention of a restaurant in Rome: La Pergola on the Via A. Cadlolo tel: 0635 091. <BR> <BR>There is also a section that briefly discusses Rome: cool places to eat, shop, etc. I plan to take a closer look! <BR> <BR>Kate

Mike Jul 4th, 2001 01:58 AM

You can take a look at La Pergola at www.hilton.com - also recommended by Faith Willinger. <BR> <BR>Note that the chef is German!