Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome--everything closed on Sunday? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-everything-closed-on-sunday-518017/)

flags Apr 3rd, 2005 05:10 AM

Rome--everything closed on Sunday?

Hi Everyone,

We are leaving in a week and a half for Rome. I heard from a friend who was there years ago that everything is closed on Sundays. Is this still the case. We get into Rome on Saturday night and won't have any time to do shopping.

LoveItaly Apr 3rd, 2005 05:27 AM

Hi flags, I have not been to Rome on a Sunday in quite awhile but a few others have asked this question. I asked my SIL who was born and raised in Rome and he told me that there will be stores open but probably not the small family owned shops.

BTW, while strolling around Rome on Sunday if you want a nice serene activity visit the Borghese Park for a bit.

And have a wonderful trip.

flags Apr 3rd, 2005 05:44 AM

Thanks LoveItaly,

I can't wait to go, we have never been there before, so we are really looking forward to spening our 5 days in Rome.
BRW...is 5 days enough to see all you need to see?

Lois_L Apr 3rd, 2005 06:02 AM

We spent a week there last month, and just scratched the surface, in terms of seeing sights and learning about Rome. There are still excursions from the city to nearby points of interest that we didn't get to do. Because you can get burned out going from one artistic masterpiece or historical monument to another, there are a number of important sites we're saving for the next trip. Also, 7 nights means only 7 dinners, which is too few in this mecca of good food.

LoveItaly Apr 3rd, 2005 06:02 AM

Hi flags, you must be getting so excited! Rome is a fantastic city.

Regarding five days. It is a lot more then a lot of travellers have and I believe that you will be able to see a lot. Rome is a fantastic city to walk in and so I would encourage you to do that as much as you can.

Walking gives you the opportunity to see and enjoy things that you would otherwise miss.

And do, before you get tired, take time to sit at an outside cafe from time to time for a drink or snack and people watching. I think you will find if you do that you will enjoy your visit so much more. People that I have known that go nonstop for hours on end in their quest to see "everything" are usually tired, grumps and overwhelmed by the end of the third day. And part of the Rome experience is "la vita dolce". If you do get tired an hour siesta after lunch (when things slow down a bit) is a nice way to get your second wind so that you can enjoy your late afternoon and evening in Rome which is always wonderful. Most Romans don't go to restaurants until 9:00pm which is probably later then you are use to but if you go around 8:30pm you can get a table and then have a leisurly dinner as restaurants consider the table "yours" and do not rush you as most seem to do in the US. A nice stroll after your dinner is a great way to end the evening.

Flags, I think a person could spend a lifetime in Rome and not see everything but you should be able to visit a lot of spots.

One idea that I read on another thread might help you organize your days so you are not backpacking. A poster buys a laminated map of the city she visits (Barnes and Nobles have them).
She buys small colored circles. Say red for restaurants, green for museums, blue for churches etc. She sticks them on the map. This way she can coordinate her sightseeing days without backtracking. And when you are finished with the trip the little circles peel right off. I thought that was a very good idea. Something that might be a big help to you as sometimes visitors get hungry after visiting sites for example and then don't know where to eat in the area they are in etc.

BTW, if you do not have a guide book I wanted to mention my Roman SIL gave me the Dorling Kindersley (DK) Guide book to Rome. He feels it is the best overall book for visitors to Rome. It is not to big and is lightweight. A nice keepsake after your trip too.

Have a wonderful trip. I will look forward to your trip report. Enjoy bella Roma!

LoveItaly Apr 3rd, 2005 06:06 AM

Hi Lois, isn't that the truth, LOL! Oh the food. One of the joys of being in Italy.

BTW, it sounds like you didn't drive yourself crazy trying to do "everything" so to speak. That was smart. It can get overwhelming.

And usually once a person visits Rome they make sure they return to see more. And it is always fun to have new sites and sights to discover.

kismetchimera Apr 3rd, 2005 07:01 AM

I believe that La Rinascente is now open in Sunday..

La Rinascente

Address Via del Corso 189

Location Piazza Colonna

Transportation Bus: 117

Phone 06-679-7691

Frommer's Review

This upscale department store offers clothing, hosiery, perfume, cosmetics, and other goods. It also has its own line of clothing (Ellerre) for men, women, and children. This is the largest of the Italian department-store chains.