Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome: density of shoe shops, cake and champagne and cocktails?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm taking a friend to Rome, it's a birthday thing, start of October and the itinerary is in the title. I've been looking up shopping streets and nice piazzas to cover the above, now I'm asking for specific recommendations, as we have under 3 days.
We also have to fit in a bit of sight-seeing, we are staying in San Giovanni.
First time in Rome.

1.Can anyone recommend a posh, upscale place with cakes and champagne and or cocktails. I am thinking Piazza Nuova or somewhere in the Trastevere. grandeur would be great.

2. Any particular streets with an abnormally high density of shoe shops (high street-mid range-designer prices).
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:18 AM

I can't help you - but your trip sounds like my kind of birthday treat!! Good luck.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Both Ciampini locations might work for the cocktails etc. One is in Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina and the other near the top of the Spanish Steps on Viale Trinita dei Monti. While the latter one has great views over Rome from a charming terrace dining area, the first one is good for people watching as it is right off the Corso. It is also near lots of shoe stores which are located between the Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina and the Pantheon. Neither place is very "grand" but are very nice and the food and cocktails good. For very grand cocktails I'd go to the Hotel du Russie's patio bar.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Hi there -

Sounds like a fabulous trip! In Rome, a lot of good shopping can be had in the area around the Spanish Steps - Via del Corso, Via Condotti for the real high end shopper (think Prada, Gucci, YSL, etc). We usually wander the surrounding side streets in that area and have seen some lovely shops.

My husband and I ended up buying some nice shoes from a store called Sore. Good quality and reasonably priced. I would describe the shoes as updated classics - not over the top trendy. Located on the same piazza as the Trevi Fountain. Face the fountain and Sore is directly behind you!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

hey thanks so far, ciampini up the spanish steps looks like a good one, maybe not in the new shoes tho

Cake-drink thing I had a look at russies, i think i was picturing something a little stuffier and more lavish- classic as opposed to trendy.

Thanks for the shoe shop tip off.. a shoe shop called "sore" haha.

please keep stuff coming.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Could you elaborate a bit on the cake/drink idea? To me, I see having cakes or pastries with coffee and cocktails or champagne with appetizers and such. Are you planning to drink cocktails the same time as the cake? You might want to try, besides Ciampini which could serve both, Rosati or Canova on Piazza di Popolo. Both have all kinds of drinks and lots of great pastries. The lobby of the St. Regis Hotel also serves tea I believe, so you could have cake and coffee or tea there and the barman could bring stronger drinks to you. That is a very lavish and traditional place, one of the most opulent in Rome.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

Grinisa thank you the st regis is hitting the nail on the head! exactly what i was looking for.
I know cake and coffee etc. but we are a bit boozey and fancy cake with cocktails, or cake with champagne, for her birthday.
cake with champagne is quite acceptable i think! Hopefully the st.regis have a nice selection of cakes and bartenders
I also quite like the look of Rosati for people-watching. I'm going to pin these places down on the map.

Now any more shoe suggestions? thanks
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 05:48 PM

Me thinks you might pop the question cryptic man over cakes, champagne and cocktails while she's blowing out the candles? If you do it'd make a great story to tell the kids and if you don't well she's a fool to let you get away!!!! So romantic!!!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:09 AM

I found a very nice shoe store called Grillis on the Via del Corso. Can't give you the exact address but if you Google Grillis it might come up with the address. The shoes are contemporary but not trendy.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:35 AM

That sounds like a great trip. The side streets of the Via Condotti and other streets near the Spanish Steps, as someone else mentioned, have some surprisingly reasonable shops.
We liked having lunch at the hotel Inghilterra, opposite the Fendi shop. Great people-watching.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for the shoe info.
molly, i'm female, and taking my best friend shoe shopping in rome. if there's any romance it'll be with some italian guys who dont deserve us