Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome daytrip option - looking for something different (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-daytrip-option-looking-for-something-different-860071/)

tcreath Sep 20th, 2010 10:31 AM

Rome daytrip option - looking for something different

Hello everyone! My husband and I will be traveling back to Rome in April of next year with another couple. We have already been to Rome 3 times; they have never been. My husband and I would like to go off on our own for a daytrip out of the city for one day. We've been to Ostia Antica, Pompeii, Florence, Orvieto, basically most of the "typical" Rome daytrip options We spent a week in Umbria a few years ago, and stopping in Lago di Bracciano on the way there. We are looking for something a bit different, perhaps less traveled.

I have bookmarked a couple of websites on the Castelli Romani towns (Frascati, etc) as they look interesting. Are these towns accessible by public transportation or would/should we need to rent a car for the day? Any other options? Maybe directly East or Southeast of Rome? I'm hoping to do something that wouldn't take more than an hour or two from Rome via train or car. We are open to suggestions. We like hilltowns, quaint villages, wineries, beautiful scenery, history. Basically we would be looking for a relaxing, hopefully picturesque day.

Thanks!
Tracy

PalenQ Sep 20th, 2010 10:40 AM

have bookmarked a couple of websites on the Castelli Romani towns (Frascati, etc) as they look interesting. Are these towns accessible by public transportation or would/should we need to rent a car for the day>

easily accessible via public transports - esp by train that links all main Castelli Romani towns and Frascati to Rome Termini - and the big volcanic crater lake near the line's terminus is a nice destination - kind of likeLake Bracciano - Lake Albino i think is its name - and the town where Pope has summer residence was one of the nicest.

For history try Annuzio (sp?) where Allies made a big invasion of Italy in WW2 - huge military cemetery there in a pleasant enough seaside resort.

But if you have not doen Tivoli's Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa nearby and easily accessible both by bus then those are IMO the finest possible short in day trip from Rome

I also took a train to Viterbo recently and that is a really dreamy hill town.

Henry Sep 20th, 2010 10:46 AM

Tracy,
Try Spoleto http://www.umbriaonline.com/english/spoleto.phtml

Tiggy22 Sep 20th, 2010 11:55 AM

Go to Bomarzo - just outside of Viterbo and see the Parco dei Mostri (Park of the Monsters). The Condottierro Pier Francesco Orsini, in his immense grief, commissioned the sculpture garden in memorium of his deceased wife, Giulia Farnese. It has since served as inspiration to artis such as Niki de Saint Phalle and Dali and Jean Cocteau. I visited there last spring and it was just amazing.

http://www.parcodeimostri.com/

This is a little off the beaten path - but definitely worth it.

bookchick Sep 20th, 2010 12:53 PM

Bomarzo is okay if you have good weather. I can't imagine traipsing through that park if it's raining. Seems to me your options are Frascati (it's up high, so you have a nice view), Tivoli, and Bomarzo. I've been to and enjoyed all three.

Buon Viaggio,
BC

tcreath Sep 20th, 2010 03:34 PM

Thank you all! You've given me quite a bit to research. I was kind of at a loss as to what to even start researching.

Thanks again!!
Tracy

PalenQ Sep 21st, 2010 10:29 AM

Castel Gondolfo is where Pope has summer digs and to me it was the best of the Castelli Romani i took a train to - nice views over the lake far below and in good weather can trek or take a mini-bus down there.

Trains to Frascati and Castelli Romani leave from Termini station and at least a few years back were the old old fashioned trains out of the 60s- old and slow and oft sporting a livery of graffiti.

LBev769375 Sep 21st, 2010 04:23 PM

Rent a car or hire a private driver for a full day trip to the hill towns south of Rome. The third sunday of April, 2009, we hired a driver through Rome Cabs for a tour of the Gardens of Ninfa, the medieval hilltop castle town of Sermoneta, and lunch in Norma, with a stop for photos of lake Albano. The Gardens of Ninfa are off the beaten path, and off the public transportation trail and as a result these stunning gardens are seldom seen by tourists outside the regional area. This is true of the the hill top towns of Sermoneta and Norma as well. While not inexpensive for a private driver ($450 + tip), this was one of the most treasured days we have spent in many trips to Italy and the memories and photos are priceless. I,m sure others on this board can recommend drivers and other stops, but if you go this route, be sure to include an early morning tour of the Gardens of Ninfa. Regardless, have a great trip and a gelato for me.

Dayle Sep 27th, 2010 06:02 AM

tracy,

My day trip to Tivoli was a highlight of my last trip. I did it by public trans - metro & bus. Took a little over an hour. Hadrian's Villa was very interesting, uncrowded as it's a large area, and relaxing, pretty too. The Villa d'Este was a real treat. Just loved all the fountains!

Buon viaggio!

StCirq Sep 27th, 2010 06:56 AM

We did a day similar to what Bev describes, but we had our own car, not a driver. Went to Anzio (not Annuzio), Sperlonga, Gaeta, thend inland to Ninfa and the old hill towns. One of the most memorable travel days ever.

bobthenavigator Sep 27th, 2010 06:57 AM

Tivoli !

franco Oct 3rd, 2010 09:26 AM

...and if you go to Tivoli with a car (which is not necessary for Tivoli alone, though), try to get an early start in order to include Palestrina, which is one of the best sights in the vicinity of Rome, and totally overlooked by tourism. Another option (no possibility to combine that one with Tivoli) would be Cerveteri, one of the most important Etruscan sights all over Italy.