rome crowds in early september

Mar 7th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

rome crowds in early september

I keep reading about the oppressive heat and crowds in Rome in August. I don't assume there will be much difference in the weather between late August and early September when we will be in Rome, but what about the crowds? Is there a cutoff where the crowds diminish significantly or not?
Mar 7th, 2017, 05:23 AM

Rome is a major city and as such, it always has visitors and is crowded (like New York City). I've experienced heat waves in Rome several times in Sept, but this past year, it wasn't very hot when I was there.
Mar 7th, 2017, 06:34 AM

My daughter was there in late Sept. a couple of years ago, and the crowds were unbearable, esp in places like the Sistie Chapel. You'll just have to cope.
Mar 7th, 2017, 06:47 AM

Waay too many Med. cruises are starting and ending from the port of Rome these days, swelling the already crowded city to IMO, max. capacity during the summer months and spilling over to the spring and fall as well. If you visit during those times, do as much planning and pre-purchasing entries as possible. There are some areas to stay in that will be a bit less crowded but for the most part, it's a bit of a scrum.
Mar 7th, 2017, 08:50 AM

It is what it is. You say 'will be in Rome'. That to me means you are committed to a specific time. So unless you are considering changing that, asking if it will be crowded is kinda pointless.

You may want to read this link: http://www.romewise.com/best-time-to..._to_visit_rome

which says late August is actually less crowded than September. September is the beginning of high season!

Really, the best you can ever expect when visiting Rome is crowded rather than very crowded.
Mar 7th, 2017, 08:58 AM

September and October are among the busiest months in Rome. It's impossible to predict the heat.

I would try to visit as few "top-ten" sights as possible and concentrate on the hidden gems. Even at the busiest times of year, there are many pleasantly uncrowded museums, archaeological sites, and Renaissance palaces. The tour buses and cruise ship tours never go to these places, so you can have a wonderful time if you seek them out. For the very crowded places, try to go as early as possible, because the tours tend to arrive after 9 AM. The Vatican Museums (apart from being insanely crowded) is also very hot. If you can't get an early entrance, try to visit on Friday evening. Or skip it altogether for this trip, and save it for the next trip, maybe in February.
Mar 7th, 2017, 09:02 AM

No, there's no predictable cut-off. It's crowded as hell until people decide or have to go home.

You want no crowds and no heat? Go in February or March.
Mar 7th, 2017, 01:58 PM

Late September was hot and crowded when we were there. Last year we went in mid Oct,and it was much better as far as temperature and , though there were crowds, not as bad as previous trip in Sept.
Mar 7th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insights. I was really close to booking but then I decided to post this question. I have received such helpful advise from this site which has helped me plan some great trips. This may be our one and only trip to Italy so we don't want to miss top 10 spots. We are both semi retired and have lots of flexibility on dates. We will be spending the 1st half of our trip in Ravello on AC and that is the only time the property we want to stay is available through september, but I am re thinking my dates. It may be worth it to wait until next May, but will that be just as crowded? I don't expect it not to be crowded, but as Dogeared said, crowded rather than very crowded.
Mar 8th, 2017, 01:54 AM

May is also very crowded, but maybe not quite as crowded as September. I can't find any statistics that include day trippers, but for people who spend at least one night, October is the busiest month, followed by September and then May.

If you want the best possibility of decent weather with few crowds, I would suggest March. Easter rarely falls in March, but if it does, don't go in the week following Easter. November, after the All Saint's holiday and the following weekend, is also a good time.

Unfortunately, these aren't good periods for the Amalfi Coast. If you want to include both the Amalfi Coast and Rome in one trip, I would choose May. Go as early as possible in the month, but avoid May 1st and the following weekend. Start in Rome and end on the Amalfi Coast.
Mar 8th, 2017, 05:45 AM

Hi Viewgirl!

Here are my two cents:

In september, Ravello, and the Amalfi Coast are usually almost full but not
Overcrowded.
Maybe SITA buses are full also. Are you sure of staying in Ravello? Beautiful, but kind of isolated.

In september, Rome ismusually full....but crowded or overcrowded, obviously the Big Few, Saint Peter, Vatican Museums, may be the Colosseum(inside), Via del Corso at 7 pm.

But the weather usually is fine( no one can be sure!)

Restaurants are not crowded, made yours reservations and thats all!
Some of the mos beautiful churches and even Basilicas are EMPTY all year round.
Assume you will have to plan two or three things in advance and ENJOY!
Mar 8th, 2017, 05:47 AM

Viewgirl:

Before you or any other fodorites ask, YES! We have been in Rome in september....three times!
Mar 10th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. It will definitely help me plan this trip.
Mar 11th, 2017, 04:19 AM

I think you should just go when is best for you. You are just not going to find Rome without crowds. I've been multiple times in July and then tried March two years ago. It was WORSE. I asked some locals (people working in my hotel, shops) and they said you get tourists all year but in the summer the Romans go to the beach or the country so the city is actually LESS crowded in July and August. I have also been in November and it was pretty damn crowded then to. But it's still 'worth' it. Early morning is really the key. Then go back to the hotel mid day when crowds and heat are less.

BTW, I was also on the Amalfi Coast on that March trip and did not like it as much as I did in July. In the off season they were doing lots of construction/repairs to things, many shops and restaurants were closed and when it rained (which it did) there is not much to do. Although I did have a couple of absolutely gorgeous weather days. I think September will be crowded in both places but is probably as good as any other time to go.
Mar 11th, 2017, 05:19 AM

Look at it this way, it can always be worse. My wife and a work colleague booked a visit to Rome some years ago. The day before their arrival, the Pope died.

You have no idea what crowded is until you experience what happens then.

Search this Thread