Rome "CLOSED" on Sundays?

Mar 6th, 2001, 05:24 PM
cynthia

Rome "CLOSED" on Sundays?

I'm planning 2.5 days in Rome at the tail end of my trip this Spring, but from the looks of it, everything (museums, Vatican area, etc.) are closed on Sunday afternoons and all day Monday. Anyone have any information to share? Thanks!!

Mar 6th, 2001, 05:44 PM
kathy

Rome was not built over night. I would definately plan another trip - 2 days will not even give you time to get a flavor of this magnificent city. This past summer, i went for 10 days and I only wish I had 10 more. Enjoy your journey.

Mar 6th, 2001, 05:47 PM
cynthia

Kathy,

Did you have any problems on Saturday afternoons, Sundays, or Mondays with places being closed? This is what I'm reading, and I'm getting nervous. I know it's not enough time, but our trip was originally to the Amalfi Coast, and we decided to work in a few days in Rome. Any info you have would be great! Thanks!

Mar 6th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Patrick

What I love most about Rome on Sunday is that much of the city is closed to traffic. You can walk down the Corso and all the way to the colliseum without any cars or traffic. The colliseum and the forum are certainly open on Sunday and it is a great time to visit those sites. I find that Rome is in sort of a party mood on Sundays and I love it. I really don't know about the Vatican and museums, but use Sunday as a day to get out like the Italian families do and just enjoy the city.

Mar 7th, 2001, 06:32 AM
howard

Patrick is absolutely correct about Sundays in Rome. It's a joy to walk around the old city area of the Forum and the Colosseum with no traffic to compete with.
Sunday is indeed a family day in all of Italy. So, another great activity is just to sit in sidewalk cafe in Piazza Navona or elsewhere and enjoy the street scene!

Mar 7th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Ed

Open days and hours change more frequently in Rome than anywhere else I know, so some of these may be inaccurate. All in all, you can probably find enough here to stay busy on those two days.

Open Sunday:
St. Peter's, Colosseum until 1300, Pantheon until 1300, San Pietro in Vincoli, San Paolo, San Giovanni, Santa Maria Maggiore, Nero's Golden House (Domus Aurea), Borghese Gallery, Palazzo Doria Pamphilj, National Gallery of Art until 1230, Etruscan Museum until 1330, Natinal Museum of the Baths until 1330, Museum of Roman Civilization unitl 1300, Ara Pacis, Ostia Antica.

Open Mondays:
St. Peter's, Vatican Museums, Roman Forum, Palatine, Colosseum, Pantheon, Castel San Angelo, San Pietro in Vincoli, San Paolo, San Giovanni, S. M. Maggiore, Domus Aurea, Pamphilj Gallery, Catacombs.

Mar 7th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Ed

Open days and hours change more frequently in Rome than anywhere else I know, so some of these may be inaccurate. All in all, you can probably find enough here to stay busy on those two days.

Open Sunday:
St. Peter's, Colosseum until 1300, Pantheon until 1300, San Pietro in Vincoli, San Paolo, San Giovanni, Santa Maria Maggiore, Nero's Golden House (Domus Aurea), Borghese Gallery, Palazzo Doria Pamphilj, National Gallery of Art until 1230, Etruscan Museum until 1330, Natinal Museum of the Baths until 1330, Museum of Roman Civilization unitl 1300, Ara Pacis, Ostia Antica.

Open Mondays:
St. Peter's, Vatican Museums, Roman Forum, Palatine, Colosseum, Pantheon, Castel San Angelo, San Pietro in Vincoli, San Paolo, San Giovanni, S. M. Maggiore, Domus Aurea, Pamphilj Gallery, Catacombs.

Mar 7th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Len

What about shopping? Are all the stores near the Spanish Steps open on Sunday?

Mar 7th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Doug Weller

Don't know about other areas, but all the shops at Termini (the main station) were open still at around 7 Sunday night, and it looked as though shops in other areas were open.

Doug

Mar 7th, 2001, 08:02 PM
steve

My only time in Rome (31 years ago), the Forum was closed on Tuesdays and some places in the Vatican were only open during the mornings. Plan as much as you can in advance but also check first thing when you get there