Amalfi Coast best central area to stay for four days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming from Naples, not driving, and looking for suggestions on best way to get to the Amalfi coast and a central area to stay for sightseeing using public transportation.

Thanks
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to include our trip is the second week of September.
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 11:34 PM

We recently visited the Amalfi coast for the first time, staying in Positano. Although I preferred Positano to Amalfi, I think Amalfi would make a better base for day trips, allowing you to easily visit Positano and other towns along the coast, Ravello, Salerno, Capri, and the towns slightly inland. We found that often we had to go to Amalfi in order to take a bus out to another destination.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on what sights you want to see. If you will have already seen Pompeii and Herculaneum and spent a little time in Naples, then your day tripping is probably those places that dreamon lists. However, you don't say how long you've got in the area or which sights you'd like to go to.

If Naples was only a port of entry into Italy and you won't have spent time there, then the answers will differ depending on you preferences.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

We've been to Naples and Pompeii so we are concentrating on coast. We have five full days. We fly out of Rome day six.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Correction out of Rome day seven
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In that case I'd centre on either Positano or Amalfi. Even though the traffic will have eased a little along the road in mid September, it'll still be busy. There are no trains and it's either a car (taxi or private car) or bus. Amalfi is more central if you want to see up and down the coast, but for me Positano is the best place to stay. Yes it's touristy during the day, but so what? If you're going to be out seeing other places you won't encounter it and when you come back for the evening, it's a great place to be and spectacularly scenic, much more so than Amalfi.

If you're going this September, you'll need to book now, as the place gets booked up way in advance.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 02:52 AM

I live in Napoli And
The best way to reach the towns of Amalfi is to follow the so-called Way of the Sea. Ferries regularly connect Amalfi to Naples and Salerno. Tourist ticket is mandatory for non-residents, which provides access to all the towns of Amalfi is the name (UNICO costiera).
There are also some taxis integrated with the hotel (not all) but you can always take a taxi for you.
I hope I was helpful.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 03:28 AM
WWK

Positano is much more scenic and charming than Amalfi. I agree that the best way to travel is by boat from Naples. The SITA bus is often packed and unreliable.

I also agree that you need to book ASAP. September is still the busy seasoon. If you post a budget, we can help with recommendations.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, we did decide to stay in Amalfi and do day trips from there. Your help was very much appreciated.