Search

Exchange rate

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exchange rate

What exchange rates are people getting recently in Italy and here?
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:21 AM
rex

See www.xe.com - - these are the exchange rates between COUNTRIES tht settle trade balances in the billions of dollars and euros - - under the best of circumstances, your actual rate will be 1-2% worse than the published rates.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:50 PM
rex

topping...
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:07 AM

We just ordered Euros for our trip next week. We got a terrible rate 1.36:1, but it was the best we could find at the time. We hadn't expected to pay over 1.31. We checked with several banks (and yes we are customers at all of them) and it takes about 7 days for them to order them for you, so we didn't really have any "buffer" time.

As for why we ordered from a bank, this is my first time to Europe and I needed the comfort of having money in my pocket when we land. Yes, we will use ATM the rest of the time.
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Hi Marci!
It is very difficult for first-timers to Europe to understand just how easy it is get money there. It is just as easy as the USA, maybe even more so.
Getting euro ahead of time is certainly a convenience in that you can exit the plane, go through customs and get baggage, then hop in the taxi or train for downtown.
But there is no need to worry if you arrive there without a single euro in your pocket.
ATMs are everywhere, they work and they have English instructions should you choose the option.
In the very rare instance where ATMs are down, you can go to exchange windows or airport bank and exchange whatever USD you may have on you just to pay for the ride to downtown. Yes, the exchange rate will be disadvantageous at the airport, but it is probably still better than the rate you quoted.
Happy travels!
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:37 AM

Marci77 -

there is never any need to order euros from anyone. If you want a small amount to start with - rather than waiting to change on landing - just change $50 or $100 at the bureau de change in your departure airport - all airports with international flights have them.
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:51 AM
ira

Good advice from NYT.
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:49 AM

I'm always worried that every ATM in the airport entire will be out of order, that I'll be too tired to find an ATM even though I'm alert enough to navigate by subway and bus to my hotel, that there won't be 5 ATM's within 50 meters of my hotel, that the change bureau will be closed, that my hotel won't change $US, and that I'll need a load of cash right away. Should I worry about worrying or just just fret?
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I fly out of JAX (Jacksonville) and there isn't a currency exchange there. ---At least according to the person I spoke with at the airport authority.
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:33 AM

I have had TOO many instances of ATM's either not taking my VISA ATM card or just not working properly that I am a fan of having a few bucks in my pocket upon landing.

When my husband traveled to Brazil on business, we bought him some local currency. His traveling companion couldn't understand our thinking. That same person DEFINITELY understood when his card was eaten by the ATM at the airport!
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:41 AM
rex

<<I fly out of JAX (Jacksonville) and there isn't a currency exchange there>>

That's a well-stated point. Sure, the flight from JAX (or SDF or DAY or CMH or countless others) will connect to a larger international airport. But on well-designed itineraries, you may well walk right from one gate to another and board, and never time nor occasion to walk out to more central areas where currency exchange is located.

Besides, if you're willing to let them rip you off for $10 to change 50 at an airport, you might as well get the same deal through the mail.
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Whatever gateway airport you have to connect through to get to Europe -- ATL, ORD, JFK, etc. -- will have a rip-off currency exchange there somewhere.

I stopped off at the foreign currency desk at the main Bank of America branch here in Charlotte, NC, a few days ago to buy a few euros. (This office of BOA has euros on hand and you can buy them right there, without having to pre-order them). BOA charged me E1=$1.33, when the interbank exchange rate was about E1=$1.28. I bought E125 just so that I'd have enough cash on hand for when I arrive in Milan -- just a starter set of euros. I look at it as containing Murphy's Law as much as possible. So BOA made $8.75 on the spread off me. BFD. It's one less thing to worry about when I land.