New UK Trip Glitch - Wheelchair/Crutches

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Five weeks before our European rail journey, I tripped and fractured my kneecap, had surgery and will be using crutches & collapsible wheelchair for trip in 3 weeks starting 3 nights London, 2 nights York and 2 nights Edinburgh. Such disappointment (!) but cancelling or postponing our trip is not an option so we will scale back our expectations. We have visited London briefly before. Called British Airways about seat need and assistance. Will reserve car service (Janis' previous suggestion perhaps) to pick us up at Heathrow and bring to Lime Tree B&B in West End near Sloan & Victoria stops. Hoping encouraging Fodorites can make suggestions on up-to-date accessibility links or suggested routes. I assume cabs best; preferred bus/metro stops for accessibility appreciated. Hoping to visit National Gallery/Portrait, V&A, Westminster Abbey, sit on On/Off Sightseeing Bus. Perhaps Hampton Court visit is a reach now. In York, staying a B&B near Minster. In Edinburgh, Jurys Inn and hoping to just get an intro to Royal Mile/Castle. Purchased train tickets Kings Cross London to York on East Anglia; tickets from York to Edinburgh on East Coast Rail months ago, have not yet inquired about accessibility. All suggestions most welcome.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM

The london underground is particularly inhospitable to people with crutches. I'd stick with cabs in London proper.
For York, it is flat but I would guess walking around may be difficult.

Sorry you can't postpone the trip I would not want to go to the UK on crutches.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.visitbritain.com/en/Trans...bled-needs.htm

is useful
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:25 AM

<i>For York, it is flat</i>

Edinburgh is definitely not flat - you won't like it with crutches, unpowered wheelchairs aren't nice either

So why is postponing or cancelling not an option?
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM

Very sorry about your accident.

I want to ask about the wheelchair--is it one with the very small wheels which you can't turn yourself? Those are virtually impossible to maneuver on anything other than a smooth surface and the person pushing you will have a hell of a time and won't be able to carry anything other than a shoulder bag and even that will be awkward.

I'm sorry to sound so negative but "been there, done that." You would be better off renting a standard wheelchair or motorscooter. Apologies and well done if you do have a standard chair.

Good luck!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:55 AM

The Lime Tree Hotel is a lovely B&B in a historic building. There is no lift. Hopefully, you have a room on a lower floor.

Best of luck!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:30 PM

>>So why is postponing or cancelling not an option?<<

Just what I was wondering - no travel insurance...? Seriously, you cannot over-state the problems this is going to cause you in Edinburgh in particular.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM

York might be flat but it will also be very busy and many of the streets are narrow.
I had a knee operation recently and can sympathise, but I have to say I would be looking to postpone or cancel.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - so sorry. What a bummer. Afraid you won't get a lot of good news re York and <u>Especially</u> Edinburgh.

Do you mean a wheel chair (Large back wheels) or a folding transport chair (smaller back wheels)? If it is a transport chair it won't be easy in London, will be almost useless in York and TOTALLY useless in Edinburgh. If it is a proper wheel chair, you will have an easier time in London - even the buses will be OK, But not easy in York and Edinburgh - forget it. The location of your hotel alone is tough.

Walking in Edinburgh and on the royal mile is not the easiest for the normally ambulatory - impossible on crutches, and practically so in a chair.

Do you have trip insurance? If so - cancel everything and reschedule. If not, then unfortunately - I'd change your plans and stick to London.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:22 PM

Missing punctuation: should have been >>But not easy in York, and for Edinburgh - forget it.<<
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:42 PM

The tube doesn't have a lot of stations with step-free access, but those that do are helpfully listed:-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-guide-map.pdf
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for advice thus far. If I don't go on this trip, I will send my husband and grown daughter and live vicariously through their adventures; however, I planned this (crazy--see below) trip and with their offered help, I am still considering it (maybe just part) -- my healing rate and time will tell. All the accessibility links were very helpful. I have been reading about bus access, black cabs (London/Edinburgh), step free stations, all helpful. I realize York & Edinburgh harder, but I would be content with a simple bus tour in each location with them and they go off and they explore the alleyways. Yes, non-refundable t
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
York should be easy (but avoid cobblestone areas) but Edinburgh is going to be terrible, could you swop it for say Cambridge or Oxford both of which are flat.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Part 2. Yes, sad to say all non-refundable air, rail (advance/cheap)to each location and then flight to Paris from Edinburgh. I was aware of the risk--didn't think it would happen--would purchase insurance next time--better yet, go ONE country. (By the way, you haven't heard that I had planned an additional 3 nights in Paris, 2 in Bruges, 3 in Amsterdam before returning to Paris then U.S! (I can hear your collective groans...)It was going to be a rail journey for my husband and I before we got too old to do it. So you see, a bit of a challenge now and lessons learned. I will reassess...again, thanks for all the advice.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 03:34 PM

>> I have been reading about bus access, black cabs (London/Edinburgh), step free stations, all helpful. I realize York & Edinburgh harder, but I would be content with a simple bus tour in each location with them and they go off and they explore the alleyways.<<

I think you really don't understand the issues w/ Edinburgh (and to a lesser extent, York). It isn't just the maybe sitting on a bus and then letting them go off on their own. I can think of almost nothing you could tour/see in the old town (except taking a cab to the National Museum of Scotland which is partially a modern bldg and has elevators.)

You could not visit the Castle - even just crossing the esplanade to get to the entrance is a slog. In late April I did actually see one elderly lady being pushed in a wheel chair through the castle (by BOTH of her beefy teenage grandsons because it needed both of them to get up the hill.) She was literally yelling out because of the pain of the cobbles and she was terrified the chair would tip over on the steep walkway.

Seeing anything on the Royal Mile would be just about impossible - except for maybe taking a cab to St Giles Cathedral. That one very small section is level and there is access into the Cathedral itself.

Grass market - nope

Holyrood -- possible but not that easy - quite a long way from the street to the entrance. Definitely not Holyrood Abbey.

Botanic Gardens - a very small section

Shopping on Princes Street - difficult

Even your hotel is on a steep road.

It really is a shame -- but you honestly wouldn't be 'visiting/seeing' Edinburgh at all.

Now -- IF you want to change things entirely and skip Edinburgh . . . You could book country B&Bs w/ either ground floor or handicap rooms and do car trips viewing the magnificent scenery. That would be more doable than trying to see much in Edinburgh. You wouldn't be able to tour many castles or do any hiking, but you could see a lot of pretty countryside.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, janisj. I do get that now. Wish I didn't have that flight out of Edinburgh. If you know of any particular country B&Bs near Edinburgh or York, feel free to let me know, but I will start the research myself. I obviously have to be more flexible about giving up my previous plans.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Strongly suggest you reassess all lodging. You must have places with an elevator - and without steps from the street to the front door - not easy in alot o fthee places. You won;t want to climb several flights of stairs with crutches.

And you need to check web sites of all sights to London to see how much is accessible - and which entrances you might most easily use. I remember flights of stairs practically everywhere getting into and around museums - but perhaps there are hidden elevators.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 04:58 PM

Yes - there are lifts in the museums -- London really isn't that much of a problem. Things wouldn't be overly easy - but lots of things are doable. Even the Eye is roll on/roll off.

As for the flight out of EDI - that part is OK. There are lots of wonderful places w/i a reasonable drive. I am dashing out for the evening but will look for some specific recommendations. But if B&Bs have ground floor rooms they usually mention it prominently on their websites. You aren't the only traveler w/ mobility issues.

This site can get you started http://www.visitscotland.com/en-us/a...ion/accessible
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 09:03 PM

A huge amount of energy and money has been put into London's bus system, partly to provide the city-wide transport system for people with mobility problems the Tube can't be and cabs are far too expensive to be.

AFAIK, that's not true of HOHO buses. But London's plain vanilla bus system is now largely designed for accessibility, gob-smackingly ubiquitous and extraordinarily easy to navigate - though it takes a bit of prior homework to understand how. Start at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...lity/1167.aspx, but forget about the Tube and don't assume cabs have to be the solution.

Virtually all attractions in London are now almost fully accessible. Your problem is that it's also prudent to do the homework before getting to them: it's often easier to find the lift on the web site than on the ground in a crowded museum you've not been to before.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 01:17 AM

Be aware that the "disabled entrance" is often a side entrance and sometimes isn't accessible without help. Lifts may be broken, so just the indication that a location is accessible doesn't mean that it is in reality, to you at that moment. Also determine how much assistance you need going to the bathroom. Restaurants and pubs will generally be less accessible to you.

Also, from experience: not every bus driver is inclined to go through the rigmarole of lowering the ramp and getting you on if you're in a wheelchair, and be prepared to fight for you designated spot in the bus amidst the prams that need to go there too.

http://www.londonvideos.org/london/l...described.html

check out http://www.disabilitytravel.com/grps...ers_london.htm for accessible site seeing in London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -