Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome - Budget Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-budget-hotel-708846/)

Potteran May 29th, 2007 09:46 AM

Rome - Budget Hotel

Help! With so many websites and hotel listings is very hard to choose a hotel in Rome. We will be visiting Rome for the first time in October 2007 and would like a budget hotel for 3 people for 6 days. Our requirements are that it be safe and clean and should be close to a lot sights. One of the travelers is an older citizen (74) who is very active, but still we don't want her to be going up to many flights, so I guess we also need an elevetaor at the hotel.
Thanks

tammylouky May 29th, 2007 10:07 AM

I'll be staying at the Hotel Panda (triple room with AC for under 150 Euros) June 4-7, 2007, I can let you know after I return. Reviews overall seemed fine.

WillTravel May 29th, 2007 10:14 AM

I don't think the Hotel Panda has an elevator.

You might want to consider the Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri convent, which is very central and has an elevator. But book quickly if you want that.

Cora_Bezanson May 29th, 2007 10:26 AM

If you don't mind a shared washroom the beehive is one of my favoritve places in europe. The place is a very good deal super clean, and from what I remember only has 5 steps at the enterence, and then a few more to go to the lougne which has free internet. It's a couple blocks from the train station and is a very safe area, convient to everything. This place is in many guide books and was just recommend in Travel + Lesiure magazine. While there are no ensuites waiting for a bathroom was never a problem they were always empty even when the place was full!!!

sidandspennysmom May 29th, 2007 10:58 AM

we just got back and this is where we stayed.

http://www.inparione.com/english_site/struttura.htm

it was close to everything and clean.

cls2paris May 29th, 2007 11:10 AM

I liked the Hotel Julia. It seems to fit your needs.

WillTravel May 29th, 2007 11:19 AM

I like Hotel Julia too, but it might surpass the budget requirement. Domus Julia, next door, might also be considered.

cls2paris May 29th, 2007 12:12 PM

Forgot about that WT, thanks!
Potteran, it might help to know what you mean by "budget hotel". What's your price range?

LJ May 29th, 2007 12:17 PM

The Hotel Sonya might fit your needs: their is an elevator and private ensuite baths. My girlfreinds and I were quite comfortable there in a Triple: they have "specials" for around a 100 Euro.

Potteran May 29th, 2007 12:26 PM

To cls2paris

By budget, I mean around $100 per day for a room.

thanks

Potteran May 29th, 2007 12:26 PM

To tammylouky
That would be very nice.
Thanks

WillTravel May 29th, 2007 12:47 PM

That budget is only about 75 Euros per night - which means that even the convent will likely be too much, and maybe even hostel dorm beds, given you need 3 beds.

daveesl May 29th, 2007 01:12 PM

Actually, I think the dorm rooms in the Beehive are like 20 euros per person per night.

dave

Hausmann May 29th, 2007 01:24 PM

We will be in Rome in mid November. We reserved Hotel Parlemento for 105 Euros per night--never stayed there and am hoping for the best. Reviews all seem positive.

Potteran May 29th, 2007 01:50 PM

All, I guess that my budget could double to $200 per day.

Potteran May 30th, 2007 07:06 AM

For daveesl
Do you think an ederly person will be confortable at the Beehive? I have never not stayed at a hostel before so I don't know what to expect. Please let me know.

thanks

centralmainer May 30th, 2007 07:29 AM

Check out www.scotthouse.com -- nice web site but also carefully look at the reviews on TripAdvisor.com and then you must decide for yourself. I have not stayed there, but I have booked it for a trip in December and for my daughter and son in August.

Potteran May 30th, 2007 07:42 AM

Has anyone stayed a B&B called Cimini Guestroom?

thanks

Cora_Bezanson May 30th, 2007 10:48 AM

Just another note about the beehive, its clean, nice and great location! Its not really a hostel more like a budget hotel with one dorm room. The dorm room sleeps 8 people but is big and spacious. They mostly have double rooms for 70 euro a night and they will add an additional bed to the room for 3 people for an extra cost. You can see pictures on trip advisor and the beehive website at www.the-beehive.com. The american couple that runs the place is really nice and helpful and I highly recommend this place!

daveesl May 30th, 2007 10:52 AM

While there is a good chance that much younger folks would be in the dorm area, it could be great for an older person too. Bring a little youthful exhuberance.

dave