Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ROME:Bid on Priceline and got the "Golden Tulip Ambra Palace" did I make a mistake? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-bid-on-priceline-and-got-the-golden-tulip-ambra-palace-did-i-make-a-mistake-258917/)

donna Sep 17th, 2002 08:17 PM

ROME:Bid on Priceline and got the "Golden Tulip Ambra Palace" did I make a mistake?

I bid on Priceline for a four * hotel in central Rome (which I realize covers a wide area)and got my bid for the "Golden Tulip Ambra Palace" Via Principe Amedeo 257,if anyone has stayed there or knows the area I would appreciate your comments.

Betsy Sep 17th, 2002 08:22 PM

Donna, go to www.google.com and type in the name of your hotel. That should bring up its website. Let us know what you think. What rate were you quoted?

donna Sep 17th, 2002 08:45 PM

Besty, I did do a search on Google( my favorite search engine) and found hotel's website with map but wasn't familiar with the location. I bid $100 so I figured I'd be safe if I got a 4* in cental area, hopefully that will turns out to be a fairly good location.<BR>Oct 20th is still considered high season and rates are still pretty steep.<BR>I had RSVP at Hotel Grand Palace @ $220<BR>so I guess it will be worth a little extra walking for the savings. I love the adventure of bidding on Priceline and have had GREAT results in the past, so say a little prayer for me, 'cause if its BAD my husband will be unhappy with me. (but guess what, that to shall pass)

Walter Sep 18th, 2002 12:11 PM

Donna: There was just a recent post about this hotel but I don't think it has been put in the achives yet, I couldn't bring it up.<BR> Two posters were on the opposite sides of the fence reguarding location but I believe both liked the hotel. At $100/night for a double in a 4* is no doubt an excellent deal:).<BR> But I have to agree with one of the posters, the area is alittle seedy. I wouldn't call it dangerous though.<BR> If you run across any of my past posts about hotels ~Termini, I've always said the area is fine. I've stayed ~40+ days on 5 trips just a stones-throw away from the station on the southside. But the area (southeast of Termini) in and around the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II over to Via Giovanni Giolitti (the street that runs alongside the train station) is the seedy section the guidebooks mention. <BR> The Piazza does seem to attract alcoholics/druggies esp at night and I'm certain that the local businessman who installed a condom machine bolted to a wall on the sidewalk across from the piazza made a wise business investment:).<BR> You hotel is located between Via Mamiani & Via Ricasoli on Via Principe Amedeo.<BR> I really wouldn't worry to much about the area, you'll be fine:). Just don't expect it to be romantic. Regards, Walter<BR>

Nycer Sep 18th, 2002 12:53 PM

I just got back from Rome. My friends stayed in the same hotel you mentioned. They also bid for it on Priceline and got a great rate. She said her room was really nice and the hotel itself was fine, but the area was a bit seedy. I don't think that was too much of a problem, but one thing she did mention was that they had to take cabs everywhere because the location was very much out of the way of most of the sights. We stayed in the Piazza Navona area and were within walking distance to almost all the sites. Just a consideration.

donna Sep 18th, 2002 01:40 PM

Thanks guys for all the feedback, I think we will be OK, the hotel looks fine and I found a list of walking distance to major sites most were doable and if not or if to "seedy" looking area to feel comfy walking we'll just get a taxi. We normanlly leave the hotel mid morning and don't return until after dinner so don't see much of a problem, this trip we'll only be there for a few days anyway. <BR>Thanks again!

bec Sep 18th, 2002 01:47 PM

I just got back from Rome on Sept 1 and I too stayed at the Ambra Palace. I think I payed $109.00 a night. The area is pretty seedy. Alot of Indian wholesale stores right on that block. (Via Principe Amedeo). It is near the train station and very far from all the sites such as shopping, the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. We had to take cabs and the subway almost everywhere. The hotel itself is actually beautiful and the hospitality was great. It's kind of hard to believe it's in the neighborhood it is.

Anna Sep 18th, 2002 04:01 PM

We stayed at this hotel a year ago and hated it. There were mice in the hotel and one got into our room. We spent one whole night trying to catch it! It was disgusting! Called the desk clerk and he wouldn't do anything about it. we finally killed it and left it outside the door wrapped in a towel since nobody would come to get it. The next morning thankfully it had been removed. It might sound like a silly thing , but that incident soured us on the whole hotel experience. We began questioning the cleanliness of everything. I couldn't wait to check out of the place.

jenny Sep 18th, 2002 05:06 PM

Yuck! I hope Donna can back out! I certainly would!

donna Sep 18th, 2002 09:12 PM

Oh my Gosh,what do I do, can't cancell with Priceline only option is lose my $200 and re-book somewhere else. If my husband happens to read Anna"s post his vote would be (without a doubt) to lose the $200. AsI've mentioned several times on this post I love adventure but my ideal of adventure is not chasing mice around a hotel room. O'K guys let's take a vote, what should I do. We can handle the location but not the mice, do you think it was an isolated case since I've had nothing but postive response on the hotel so far, do you think I'm overreacting to one negative post on the hotel. Help me decide please.<BR>Thanks

Anon Sep 18th, 2002 09:51 PM

I'd say not to panic about the mouse thing. Rome is an old city, with narrow alleyways and lots of restaurants. Mice are inevitable, as they are in NYC, Boston, etc., etc. It has nothing to do with cleanliness within the buildings.<BR><BR>I'm sure the hotels and restaraunts all do preventative pest control, but if an errant mouse gets in from the trash area (which could also happen at the Ritz) there is only so much they can do.<BR><BR>Trust me. I used to work at a very high end restaurant and the place was spotless. The pest control guys came regularly. But one hot night the kitchen door was open to the alley and an uninvited "guest" snuck in.... We all watched him running through the dining room, praying that the houseful of patrons would not notice. Fortunately, they didn't. Whew! The pest crew were back with a vengance first thing in the morning.

donna Sep 18th, 2002 09:55 PM

One other thought, could the hotel have corrected the mice problem since Anna stayed there a year ago 'cause I've had posts from people who stayed recently and thought the hotel was wonderful. How creditable are poster's who refuse to post their E-Mail address?

donna Sep 18th, 2002 10:00 PM

Thanks Anon maybe I can go to sleep now and make a decision tomorrow. Any other thoughts would be appreciated from everyone

xxxxx Sep 18th, 2002 10:35 PM

What would worry me with regard to the mouse that was caught and placed in a towel outside the room - did the staff who removed it realise it was there BEFORE the towel was placed in the washing machine or whatever!!

Pam t Sep 19th, 2002 03:11 AM

What the heck Stay at the hotel

xxx Sep 19th, 2002 06:26 AM

Since you're staying for a few days only, just put up with it. Don't go back and spend another few hundred dollars and take another chance on being disappointed again. The mouse incident could have been a one time thing as the hotel itself seems to be very nice. And although the Temrini area is not the best, console yourself that that's the only drawback. It would have been worse if the hotel was pretty bad also.

Nancy Sep 19th, 2002 06:52 AM

Dear Donna,<BR><BR>Ask for the highest floor possible :)<BR><BR>And don't get up in the middle of the night --- only kidding.<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR>

danilo Sep 19th, 2002 09:25 AM

Donna:<BR>I too stayed at the Ambra Palace this past August with my wife. It basically is located between Little India and a smaller version of Chinatown. The best part of it, aside from the friendly staff, big clean room, beautiful hotel, is that it is located just around the corner from the subway station. Although, the area is somewhat seedy as mentioned earlier, my wife and i did not have any problems. As for the subway, think 1980's NY subways, but even more graffiti, with no air condition. Again, we had no problems, and it was the quickest way to get to the main tourist spots, such as Vatican City, Colosseum, Spanish Steps, etc. It's really easy once you give it a try. Just make sure you buy your ticket outside, there's a coffee shop around the corner the sells tickets (much easier than using the ticket booth in the subway station. Also, you can use that same ticket (if you buy the day passes---much more convenient)to ride the buses. You don't really need to take cabs, unless it's really late at night (subway stops running past 12 am). So just stay at the hotel, it deserves it's 4 stars.

donna Sep 19th, 2002 11:01 AM

Thanks Danilo and everyone for your help.<BR>I've decided to go with original plan and stay at the Golden Tulip Ambra.<BR>I'll do a post when I return.

Donna Oct 25th, 2002 01:32 PM

Well, we just returned from Italy and this is an update on my experience about the hotel I booked on Priceline.com. Golden Tulip Ambra Palace was absolutely wonderful. I'm so grateful for Danilo, Walter and all of the Fodorites who responded to my post and provided me with USEFUL and positive info. As for the mice story believe me it was a &quot;STORY &quot; I can't even imagine a mice running around and even harder to believe the staff didn't respond to help, the staff could not of been more helpful, in fact we decided to go to Rome a day early and even though they were booked they found us a french single for the night until our room was available the following day. They even transported our luggage to our new room while we were out the next day.<BR>Ambra Palace is deserving of a 4* and would be a 5* if the location was closer in. The area is a little seedy but we never felt uncomfortable and we walked in the area and used the subway to Spanish Steps which was only 2 stops away.<BR>I promise you it's the best hotel that I have stayed at in Rome and I've been there 4 times. I'll post a full trip report ASA I catch up.<BR>Thanks again everyone for your help on planning our trip.