Rome: best neighborhood to stay in?

Feb 17th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Rome: best neighborhood to stay in?

I'm a single female who will have a 3-day stopover there in August on my way back from Africa. I have usually stayed in places that were near the forum, but have found that to be a little too isolated. I would prefer an area where there are plenty of restaurants etc. within walking distance. I don't know Rome well at all, but the area around Piazza Navona seems like it might be like that. Any ideas?
Feb 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

I might add that I am looking for less of a touristy feel, since I have gotten that before, and more of an authentic feel - so an area with restaurants that Romans would actually set foot in
Feb 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Last time I'll reply to my own post - just wanted to add that I am hoping to snag a room in one of the convents, and appear to have two options in my price range:

1. straight north from Piazza Navona on the Tiber

2. 5-6 blocks up Via Panisperna from Piazza Venezia

Thanks!
Feb 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Option 1 puts you in a neighborhood not often described in the guides but which we found in our wanders to be much of what you are looking for. I thought that it was like Trastevere without the grafitti and the swarms. Very quiet and seemed very local. I would love to hear more about this zone around and north of S. Antonio dei Portoghesi and the Torre della Scimmia (Monkey Tower). Never seen a name for this neighborhood.
Feb 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

I am also very into the idea of staying on the river...but I wonder if it might be a little too deserted at night? This is why I wish I wrote trip reports when I was younger I know I've probably walked around all these neighborhoods but can't remember much.

I still think somewhere right between Piazza Navona and the Trevi fountain would be best, but it seems like better value can be had around the Spanish Steps. I remember that being more of a shopping district...