Notices

Rome-Berlin-Paris 15 days

Sep 5th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Rome-Berlin-Paris 15 days

My husband and I are traveling to Europe for 15 days. We arrive on December 15 in Rome. We fly out of Paris on December 30. We decided on Rome to Berlin to Paris. We haven't decided how long we will spend in each city. I'd like your opinions on this and any tips or points of interest we should hit in each city. This is our first Europe trip. We are in our mid 20's and love to be active. We also love history and art. Thanks in advance!
Sep 5th, 2016, 07:50 PM
kja

Please consult some good guidebooks, either by buying a few or consulting a few at your local library. You will learn things you would never even have known to ask! And no matter how many people suggest ways to allocate your time, only YOU can decide what works for you. So hit those books and enjoy what I'm sure will be a delightful first trip to Europe!
Sep 6th, 2016, 09:23 AM

I have not been to Berlin, so am of no use there. I love Rome and especially Paris.

Guidebooks will help and go with the understanding that you will not "see it all" and that's OK. It will give you a great reason to go back.

In Rome, you might try now to see if you can book a Scavi tour directly with The Vatican (only if you are not claustrophobic). If you get a response follow the directions exactly and promptly...each group only takes 12 people and you must complete payment promptly or lose the spot(s). I would not have known about this tour without Fodors.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/in...090216_en.html

I also encourage you to visit the Borghese gallery...amazing sculptures!

My TR link is below. Also, look for TRs from lowcountryislander for great info on Rome!

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-hits-back.cfm

In Paris, my favorites are Sainte Chapelle (especially on a sunny day), St Denis, Musee Marmottan, L'Orangerie. All less crowded than the Louvre. We so enjoyed climbing the Notre Dame Towers and seeing gargoyles up close! Get there 30 minutes before it opens to avoid waiting in line for too long! Also, consider a food tour with Paris by Mouth...another favorite of ours. I have several TRs from Paris, click my name to find them if you are interested.

Good luck and enjoy!
Sep 6th, 2016, 12:13 PM

Berlin will be cold and dark because of very short days but filled with music, lights, entertainment for the season. Because of its huge size Berlin unlike Rome and Paris is not, to me, a walking city. The public transportation system is excellent. Guidebook study is important. Have you checked out the Berlin forum?

Search this Thread