Rome B&B's Trip Advisor reviews

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our grandson to Europe in March and looked for B&B's around Normandy, Rome and Venice for our lodging. I often go to Trip Advisor to help in my search, looking through their B&B listing.

I booked our nights for Rome at B&B IlColle degli Ulivi which is actually in Zagarolo, a 30 minute train trip from Rome. It was rated #1 for a very long time, and has glowing reviews. A 30 min. train trip is no problem and we were well aware this B&B wasn't in the center of Rome.

The problem is, Trip Advisor has decided to remove the B&B's which aren't located in Rome proper from their listings. This is a huge disservice to those of us who prefer quiet or less expensive lodging while visiting a large city.

I'm not sure how many cities they're treating this way now, but I think it's going to be much more difficult for us to find this type of accommodation in the future.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this problem?
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:35 AM

The B&B is still there on TripAdvisor, just not listed under Rome:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...olo_Lazio.html

That seems reasonable to me, because it isn't actually in Rome. Someone who has done research and wants to stay in an outlying area can look up those outlying areas by name. I suspect TripAdvisor had experienced some complaints by people who didn't realize that they had actually booked lodging outside of Rome.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

The problem I have though, being in the U.S. is that I have no idea what outlying areas are around a city like Rome. I would never find that B&B if it's not listed under Rome. It was very clear when you go to the B&B's website, that it's not located inside the city center.

I feel that there are so many B&B's that we'll never be aware of now around the larger cities of Europe, unless they're added back in or there is a list of places "on the outskirts of...."
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:56 AM

My personal opinion is that, avoiding Zagarolo and choosing between one of my two suggestions you will win.
Do you know the land North-East from Rome ? Its name is Sabina and it is wonderful, really.
So, there are two small towns less far than 1 hour from Rome and very pretty and quiet: Montorio Romano and Nerola.
In a small hamlet of Montorio Romano, named Santa Maria, there is a very nice agritourism whose name is LA RIPA (www.laripa.com)with a very good restaurant.
In a small hamlet of Nerola, named Silvestri, there is a delicious and charming agritourism whose name is IL BAGOLARO (bagolaro is a wild tree). The patron is a young man; David is his name.
Very good the restaurant but, over all, you will taste and buy his excellent olive oil. Oh, my God !
You will enjoy, I'm sure.

Ciao.

Vincenzo

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Here's a link that spells out the problem:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...o.html#9764858

I know this is a huge problem for this property, but it is also a problem for all the other properties included in this new policy.

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM
MaureenB

A 30-minute train ride in and out of Rome doesn't sound ideal. Especially with a grandson along, I'd personally reconsider that idea. There are so many choices in Rome, why not stay in the city?

I don't know what your budget is, but a reasonably priced and very nice place where we stayed in Rome is the Domus Julia. It is the apartment-style annex to the Hotel Julia, near the Barberini Palace and the Spanish Steps. A nice breakfast spread is included, in the hotel's lovely breakfast room. You also have the use of a full kitchen and dining room in your apartment suite, too. They have rooms that would accomodate three people, I believe.

In Venice, we stayed at a lovely little hotel, the Hotel Riva*, which sits at the confluence of two small canals where the singing gondoliers travel. It's charming, clean, simple. Our room was on the first floor, at the corner, and had a twin bed in a tiny alcove, plus a double bed. A simple breakfast is also included. There's no elevator, so ask for the first floor.
>-

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM

I believe there was a discussion about this B&B here awhile back. Isn't it located a pretty good car ride away from the Zagarolo station? Don't they say that you have to get the B&B shuttle or a ride to the station and back? I looked at the website and all they say is "in Zagarolo" with no map or distance to the train station. I could be wrong...

Even so, I think it is a huge mistake. There are plenty of places within the large city of Rome that are on the edges, and have direct subway connections. Why go so very far away?

I notice they suggest you eat there, and the only recommended restaurant is in Frascati.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:12 AM
LJ

I could not help noticing that the price for a double listed on the Trip Advisor website for Il Colle degli Ulivi is 70 Euro which is coincidentally identical to the price for a double at my particular favourite the Hotel Sonya. The big difference? not quietness. My favourite is very quiet, too. No, my favourite is in the centre of Rome, thus saving you the expense and hassle of a two-way trip at the beginning and end of every day.

I like B&B's, for travel in the UK with a car. But for Italy? especially Rome? I don't get the compelling reason for taking yourself so far away from this ancient, magnificent and (dare I say it?) SAFE city centre?
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Il Colle degli Ulivi is, for some reason, a darling at TripAdvisor, and the owner is very much up in arms about not being listed under "Rome."

I find the B&B's Web site less than forthcoming. The actual address is only given on, of all pages, the one called "Chef's Suggestion"!

*If* you manage to locate the address and *if* you then go to a Web site like www.visual.paginegialle.it, then you discover that the B&B is, at a guess, a kilometer away from the train station in Zagarolo.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM

I would think you'd really want to stay in the center of Rome. So much better than the hassle of a 30-minute ride each way (that will get old quick!). Rome is wonderful in the evening, and you'll miss a lot of that as well. Do a couple of searches here, one for Rome B&B's and one for Rome Budget Hotels and you'll get lots of suggestions.

It seems to me that your complaints about Trip Advisor should be made to someone on that sight. There's nothing anyone here can do about it.