Rome B & B's

Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Rome B & B's

We are two couples traveling to Rome for three nights in May and are looking for B & B recommendations. That is by people who have actually stayed where they are suggesting and not a web site that lists hundreds of units. We would like a place that is within walking distance of most attractions. We have never been to Rome or stayed in a B & B.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
MaureenB

I just posted on your Venice B&B question, so I won't repeat the first paragraph of planning questions.

I can recommend the Domus Julia, where we stayed. It is the apartment annex to the Hotel Julia, so you have the benefits of both styles of lodging. For your two couples, it would be nice, because you would each have a private room and bath, but would share a common kitchen and dining room. We had a twin room, with a very nice new bathroom. We entered through the common rooms, but never used them.

Also, breakfast is included at the Hotel, which is just next door. They have a very pretty breakfast room and it is a better spread than many places in Italy offer.

It's not an elegant hotel, but it is charming and very clean and reasonable. It's near the Barberini Palace and Spanish Steps. We walked to the Trevi, the Pantheon, Piazza Navonna from there. Took the underground to the Vatican.

Also, if you search for my Rome trip report, I mention two or three other hotels which looked very nice, if more expensive.
>-

Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM

Look at www.tripadvisor.com. It posts reviews by travelers for B&Bs as well as hotels. (Look for the tab at the top of the listings.) You can look up the addresses on a map of Rome at a site like www.mappy.com. Not so good for B&Bs but with hotels mapped is www.venere.com.

If budget is your reason for seeking out B&Bs, convents are an inexpensive alternative.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM

Last year when we visited Rome, we stayed at Residenza Canali ai Coronari, which is located about 1/2 block from Piazaa Navona on a quiet street filled with antique stores. It was a great location. We could easily walk to (and did) Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, the Vatican, Campo de 'Fiori, the Trevi Fountain, Trastevere (a little further), the Spanish Steps (a little further) and the Forum area (also a little further).

I'm sure there's some difference between a residenza and a B&B, but in this case, not much. The residenza has 12 rooms, I think. We stayed on the top floor (beware, no elevator, which we didn't mind) in a large room that has a large terrace. We ended up not using it much, as we did our wine-drinking and relaxing at cafes in Piazza Novona and the piazza where the Panthon is located. The staff was very helpful and kind. There is a small sitting area and a small breakfast area. Most people liked the food. We, liking smaller meals and cappuccino, skipped breakfast at the Residenza and instead ate breakfast at (you guessed) a cafe/bar that looked out on Piazza Navona.

I would definitely recommend this place (if it isn't already booked).
Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM

What is your per night budget? Any particular things on your wish-list like a balcony etc..?
Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM

Have you considered how cheap an apartment might be? Rome is full of places to buy foods for breakfast or you could have it at a local cafe and you're likely to want restaurant rather than hotel food in the evening anyway. An appartment provides much more space and ammenities and split between 2 couples is a bargain. One agency I just used was Romecityapartments.com but there are dozens offering good deals.Campo di Fiori, Piazza Navona or Jewish Quarter make for the best locations to walk to everything.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think there are a large number of B&Bs in the center of Rome. Very small family-run hotels are more common. I was going to suggest Residenza Canali as well, then saw that Lexma90 had already recommended it. I stayed there with my mom for four nights in June and we really enjoyed it. Our twin room was 185 Euro (cash rate). I think it is tough to beat the Canali's combination of good quality and fantastic location in that price range. You can find my full review on Trip Advisor.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:30 AM

Navona Garden Suites is really nice. It's not budget, but as the name suggest it's in the perfect location. I think the term B&B has expanded a bit. It runs from places where people rent out rooms and supply moring coffee and donuts, to inns, to smaller hotels. No matter, IMHO the best place for any "B&B" in Rome is in the Piazza Navona area. You get the feel of living like a Roman for a few days, and it's easy to walk just about anywhere.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:50 AM

According to Tripadvisor, there are more than 400 B&Bs in Rome. When I compare the hotel list with the B&B list, I'm not sure of the distinction(s) between the categories. I would make your selection based on budget and location and consider both B&Bs and hotels.

Anyway, a few years ago, we met up with friends in Rome who were staying at the Nicolas Inn near the Colosseum. They liked it a lot, in fact they raved about it long after their trip. I checked Tripadvisor, and the Nicolas Inn is considered a B&B and is currently #4.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM

I highly recommend Arco delle Lauro in the TRastevere. It is at walking distance of most attractions. A lovely place and has a huge plus, the owner is a charming person and extremely helpful with the right information.Look into tripadvisor.com and you can read what other people says.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:55 PM

We just returned from Rome several weeks ago and stayed in the Fellini B&B (I think they now call it the Fellini Inn, but it's still a B&B). We stayed there three years ago and think it's even better now. They have more rooms and their breakfast is much nicer. Plus they have a management office next door that is open almost 24 hours with a very helpful staff that speaks English.

They are located just down the street from Hotel Julia. We found it central to most things. It's only a few blocks to the Trevi Fountain and Piazza Barberini where there's a metro stop and a taxi stand. It's also easy walking to most of the major sites.