Rome at night must-sees

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Jeff

Rome at night must-sees

Will be in Rome 5 nights in July and looking for interesting things to do in the evening and night. Please include restaurant recs in the moderate range. Not looking for wild nightlife or discos, but more or less tourist spots that are must-sees in the p.m.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Chris

The Eiffel Tower. To me, much more impressive at night, especially to get the view from the top -- during the day, everything looks SOOOO small, but at night the city just sparkles.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Chris

Well, just disregard that last post. I've got vacation brain.

ROME you say? The colosium and the forum. They are beautifully lit at night.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Paul

We stayed at Pensione La Tonnarella a few years ago. It's about 2 km outside of Sorrento, but nearly every room has a balcony or terrace facing out to the water. We thoroughly enjoyed staying there, and would do so again. Room #2 has a very large terrace with chairs & table which looks right out onto the Bay of Naples & Mt. Vesuvius.

Their web site is: http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/3194/

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Paul

Sorry..posted to the wrong thread...

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Beth

We did a tour of Rome at night by open air bus. It was fabulous to see all the sights lit up at night. However, I believe in July it doesn't get dark until around 9p.m. so it may not be as bright. Can anyone confirm?

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 06:18 PM
e

Eat somewhere in the Testavere section and go to Trevi Fountain. Both great at night.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Jeff

Anyone?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Anna

The last time I was in Rome, we did an evening walk through the city described in Rick Steve's Italy guidebook. It started in Trastevere and went to the Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona, Trevi fountain, and ended at the Spanish Steps. It was a highlight of the time we spent in Rome.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Joy

Just back from Rome this past weekend. We went on an evening stroll type of tour of Rome with a tour company called Through Eternity. I believe the tour was called "Rome at Twilight". It was about 2 1/2 hours long and cost us 35,ooo lire a piece ( so about 70.000 lire or approximately $35 US dollars for the two of us. ) It started at the fountain at the base of the Spanish Steps, and included the Trevi fountain, the Temple of Hadrian, the Pantheon (incredible), the Piazza Navona and Capitoline Hill. We ended up at the Roman Forum where you could look down upon the forum which is illuminated at night and is very pretty to view. I'm sure there are other tour groups that offer good tours as well, but we enjoyed this one so much we went on two other tours by the same company in Rome during our stay (one of which was a free tour of the Roman Forum- this was how we found this tour company.) I learned a lot (and got a lot of exercise- good shoes are essential.) They also brought us to a gelato place where, if you wanted, you could purchase gelato. The beginning of the tour was in daylight, but by the end it was dark. Also, the hotel you are staying at can also probably either arrange a tour for you or provide information on other tour groups from which you could choose. We just happened upon these folks when we went to the Roman Forum and took their free tour (obviously their style of marketing their services worked in our case.) Hope this is helpful and that you enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:40 AM
jhm

Spanish Steps is quite the hangout, although if you read other posts, many people think that it's sketchy at night/too many drunk kids w/guitars.

One of my favorite moments in Rome was on the Via Della In'ammorata -- up on top of a hill, overlooking Rome, sipping cappuccinos. The Trevi Fountain is also lovely at night, as is the Piazza Navona.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 03:49 PM
nancy

Piazza Navona!
has many places to sit and watch people.
also, lots of "street" performances happen there at night.
Fountains look lovely all lit up.

Campo de Fiori is always really filled at night and is interesting to walk around at night.
If you go there, go a street over and check out the Palazzo Farnese at night.
Our apt. over looked that and it, and the fountain are very pretty at night.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:18 PM
bruce

We stayed near the Pantheon when we were in rome this spring. Very very nice at night. Decent cafe's to have a drink at in the Piazza has an impressive fountain. We spent a lot of time people watching there. There is a very good Trattoria about a block and a half south and eastward (toward Piazza Navonna) from the Pantheon. Find it by the green neon sign that says "Trattoria" and the menu posted on the corner of the tiny alley that leads to it. You may have to wander a bit to find it, but wow (sorry no name or street) we were the only english speakers there. Piazza Navona was nice but touristy with out much good food -- as was Campo Di fiori which was packed with people and fun but still not the greatest in food. Forum -- definately, then walk to Colosseum (creepy at night so go early). You will be foot sore at this point. Hailing a cab can be hard as they only stop at taxi stands or on a particular part of a Piazza (difficult for us to figure out the system). Simply walking at night is an experience. Pick a direction, e.g., Piazza Navonna to Pantheon or from there to Spanish steps (a good mile and a half or so) Stop for food, stop at a coffee bar - for cafe italiano or campari soda, maybe a grappa when you are tired, and just soak up the city.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Judy

Hi Jeff, we were very fortuante to have my cousin and her Roman husband drive us around Rome at nite. Rome was even more amazing at nite! The Forum at nite was spectacular!
Plus almost every nite, we walked to the Piazza Navonna and sat at a cafe and watched the "people" show, my very favorite entertainment(right, Nancy?).
Beautiful city! Judy

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 07:11 AM
scurry

The Trevi Fountain lit up at night is one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen. I was totally unprepared for it's size, majesty and location. You just turn the corner & boom -- there it is.

However, on our latest trip in May, the fountain was not lit up on a Saturday night at 10:00 p.m. & did not look anywhere near as spectacular.

We asked a policeman what time the lights come on & he told us that they don't light it anymore. I am hoping we missed something in the translation & they simply don't light it up until the summer months, etc.

Does anybody know? Has anyone been there recently & has it been lit?

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Power

Scurry:
Maybe Calif. Gov. Gray Davis was in charge of electricty for Rome?
Ciao