Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome Apartment - which one of these two?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -
Going to Rome for a month in early fall with my husband and our daughter who will be 15 months and we've narrowed down our apartment rentals to the two below. We want to be connected to, but not on top of, the tourist areas. Enjoy walking, sightseeing, going to the park, happy hour and dining out. We'd like some outdoor space as the baby will go to bed early-ish and want to be able to sit outside. Also, our parents will be visiting for three days, so we need to have space for all.

Option 1 - Travestere
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4468822
We like this one for the proximity to the tram, the neighborhood and the price is right.

Option 2 - Aurelia
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2015008
We like this one for the awesome outdoor space. It is about $1000 more for the month, so that's a drag and I think we're bound to taking the bus to/from tourist areas. But that outdoor space...

Would appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance!!
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 08:36 AM

My only concern: the Aurelia does not show a photo of the second bedroom and refers to it only as a "small bedroom." Will you or your parents fit in this small bedroom? I would want to know for sure before making a decision.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

ellenem: it's actually photo #9. Not sure on the bed size. Will ask the owner. Good call.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 09:08 AM

Just realized--the first bedroom you see that overlooks the living room seems to be the smaller bedroom--the one with the patchwoork quilt--looks like a twin bed to me in a kid's room.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 09:34 AM

I was curious enough to play with google maps on these. The first apartment looks much better for hosting another couple as well as for shops and restaurants.

I would probably enjoy strolling baby through that neighborhood. There do seem to be green spaces nearby.

The second:

The second appears (and someone more familiar than I should chime in) much more isolated from daily life, but would certainly be quieter. Transportation would be a concern. How nearby are buses, metro, etc?

Actually if there is direct bus service, the second is much closer to the center of Rome and its attractions.

But the single bed would weigh against the outdoor space, for me. And that sofa doesn't look like it could sleep anyone.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 09:26 PM

That first apartment is not in trastevere. It is not in a convenient or good area. It is slightly better connected than the second one, but it is not wht you'd associate with trastevere.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 11:30 PM

Hello. I just spent two months in Rome in a 4-5th floor walk up but in a great area. I suggest that you keep looking and here is what I suggest you think about.

Do you want an apartment that encourages you to stay in, or one that encourages you to go out?

I found that all those stairs (I'm somewhat handicapped) kept me from running in and out as often as I otherwise might have. BUT the location made it so easy to see so many sights. (Campo d Fiori area) And as I spoke to everyone, said good morning and good evening always before asking or ordering anything, I was soon part of the neighborhood and had a "home" there.

You really don't need that much space -- I did France with a 2 year old -- when she needed space we went out!

THis is just my opinionated opinion of course, but you're spending all this money to be in ROME, not to be in a comfy apartment.

The one thing you MUST have is A/C! And a small fridge and some kind of thing to heat basic food. All I had was two burners for a month and discovered ways to reheat almost anything using it, but it's too expensive to eat out every meal. (Oh and Andrea's cooking class is superb if you can get a reservation, of course you can't take the baby! I lived on his recipes for weeks!)

IMnsHO, take the time to look at a map and see what you are really going to want to see. Then find a place within walking distance. And remember you can negotiate prices for a month stay!!

But don't stay far out and don't stay far from a bus stop.

Again, just my opinion, but opinion based on two months in Rome!

(If you would like some other thoughts feel free to ask, but I'm traveling so don't get on regularly)

STILL HOPING FOR TROPEA ANSWER PEOPLE??

ENjoy ROme -- it is wonderful, wonderful and wonderful.

Don't miss the small churches (check out 50 hidden gems from amazon) with no lines and gorgeous stuff and plenty of room for baby,

it will be a high point of your life!

TF
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it!