Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome and Venice itinerary - are they too far apart to visit in one week? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-and-venice-itinerary-are-they-too-far-apart-to-visit-in-one-week-265954/)

Heather Oct 14th, 2002 07:45 PM

Rome and Venice itinerary - are they too far apart to visit in one week?

Does it make sense to fly to Rome take a train to Venice for two days then take the train back to Rome for another few days? I think the train is about 6 hours to Venice and I don't want to waste time but really want to see Venice while I'm there. I've never been to Italy so can someone please help me figure this out? <BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>Heather

Rex Oct 14th, 2002 08:00 PM

Nothing inherently wrong with such a plan. the train is 4 and a half hours, actually, and you can enjoy a nice (even if overpriced) meal with white table cloth service in the dining car, if you choose to travel first class.<BR><BR>But why return to rome?<BR><BR>You can probably find a good air fare for "open jaw" air travel, flying into Rome and back home from Venice.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

alan Oct 14th, 2002 08:05 PM

Would highly recommend that you take in Venice. As a matter of fact, I would do one day/night in Venice and one day/night in Florence. Take the Eurostar trains-they are the fastest and most comfortable. For example, you could leave Rome first thing in the morning and be in Florence by 11AM.<BR>Spend the day/night there, take the train to Venice the next day. Overnight and take the late train back to Rome the following evening. www.trenitalia.it is the web site for the Italian railway. You can make train reservations in Rome at the AMEX office by the Spanish Steps. Much faster/easier than getting them at the station.<BR><BR>Venice and Florence are WELL worth seeing. You will regret it if you do not take the opportunity!

Belinda Oct 14th, 2002 08:10 PM

One fun thing about taking trains in Italy is that you are seeing more of Italy! If all you see is Rome and Venice you're missing all the countryside inbetween.

Deb Oct 14th, 2002 08:26 PM

Ideally you could change your flight to depart from Venice so you don't have to make the trip back from Rome. My first trip to Italy was to the Amalfi coast and then a quick flight to Venice. I only had one day in Venice but I loved it so much that I went back 3 months later. Realize that you probably will go back to Italy again, but if you can get in more than just Rome I think you will be happy you made the effort.

Rex Oct 14th, 2002 08:38 PM

Nothing inherently wrong with such a plan. the train is 4 and a half hours, actually, and you can enjoy a nice (even if overpriced) meal with white table cloth service in the dining car, if you choose to travel first class.<BR><BR>But why return to rome?<BR><BR>You can probably find a good air fare for "open jaw" air travel, flying into Rome and back home from Venice.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Jack Oct 16th, 2002 07:55 AM

Hello there.<BR>If you want to find cheap, good value for money accommodation in Venice then pls send me an email.<BR>Have a nice day.<BR>Jack

todd Oct 16th, 2002 08:12 AM

If you haven't bought your airfare, then try to do as others suggested and purchase an 'open jaws' ticket --- flying into one city and out from another. Should you already have a roundtrip ticket to/from Rome, then it's still feasible to take the Eurostar train to Venice for couple day visit. I've seen much more hectic & busy itineraries being considered by others than that.<BR><BR>To check train schedules, go to:<BR>www.trenitalia.com<BR>

Heather Oct 17th, 2002 09:22 AM

Thanks so much to everyone! My ticket is in and out of Rome and I can't change it. I'll definitely take the Eurostar. If anyone has any hotel recommendations in either city for in the $100 to $150 range please let me know!

Shannon Oct 17th, 2002 10:10 AM

If you're staying overnight in Florence, why don't you try Mario's (E-mail: [email protected]). It's $100 a night including breakfast. If you pay cash, you get a 10% discount. It's a few blocks from the train station, and it's first rate. They rooms are comfortable and immaculate, with antique furnishings, and they have a beautiful garden. They treat everyone so nicely and willing to help you with anything. Good luck!

SA Oct 17th, 2002 11:08 AM

There is a BEst Western right out the back of San Marco Sq. that is wonderful & has a premium location. I'm not sure of the prices but check out Best Western.com. I agree w/one of the prior posts, In order of preference I would say Venice then Florence then Rome. Nothing compares to Venice however.

up Oct 23rd, 2002 05:39 PM

topping<BR>

david Oct 23rd, 2002 06:00 PM

stayed at hotel Riva several yrs ago. very nice, inexpensive, at intersection of 3 small canals. several minutes from san marco.<BR>depending on your flight out of rome, you could take an early am train from venice right to the airport; or perhaps there is a light night (1midnight) train out that will get you to rome for a morning flight? <BR>2 nights in venice an dd5 in rome is quite doable and as been said the train ride is scenic and relaxing.<BR>have fun