Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome and Venice: How is the weather in early November?

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Rome and Venice from 10/30 thru 11/3. I've seen the "usual temp ranges" on the internet. Will a "light" jacket be enough for the evenings? And will we have to worry about us being there during the "rainy" season? I've also heard about the tide "coming in" in Venice in early November and needing an extra pair of dry shoes, is this true? Just trying to be prepared! Thanks for your tips!
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:45 PM

I can't predict temperatures or the likelihood of rain, but the moon will be full on November 5th. The "acqua alta" is caused by a combination of high tide, wind, high barometric pressure and rain. It's always best to be prepared.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:25 AM

When we were in Rome around those dates you mentioned, in 2003, the weather was cool, even chilly. We wore light jackets or sweaters, sometimes I wore a scarf at night. On our return trip in 2005, during the same time of year, it was so warm we ended up buying more short-sleeved t-shirts while we were there.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:36 AM

We were in Rome and Venice last November. We didn't have any rain, and we were able to eat outside for dinner in Rome just a light sweater. It was warm during the day in Venice and light jacket weather in the evening.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:59 AM
rex

The weather will be autumnal, which encompasses a wide range of possibilities (except snow). Statistical data are usually mor helpful than anecdotal recollections. See www.worldclimate.com or www.weatherbase.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:01 AM

Conversely to Chebird, when I was in Rome during the dates you mention in 2004 it was unseasonably warm--the weather was hot and humid.

The key: Bring thin layers, with options of both short- and long-sleeved shirts that could work with your lightweight jacket. If its cooler, match the long sleeves with the jacket. Warmer? Short sleeves may be enough during the day, with jacket added in the cooler evening. If it's really cool, you could even wear the short- and long-sleeved together with the jacket.