Rome and then? for 3 days with our lazy daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope this post isn't too dense and I beg your tolerance of my geographical ignorance.

We will be in Rome in the first week of October for three days for a concert our 15-year-old daughter will play in. After, she will likely be tired from rehearsals and staying up too late with friends, and I already took her to every possible site in Rome last year when we were there for 8 days of non-stop insane gruezi style touring. She is not too keen on busy cities, cathedrals or endless museums, and I am fine with not seeing any more of Rome this time.

In a rare twist my sweet husband suggested we fly to Sardinia for a couple days after the concert and veg out a bit. I wonder if this is too far, if there is someplace else lovely and relaxing on the water closer to Rome, and if anyone has done such a thing and knows a nice hotel/resort.

We are in Zurich so no jetlag and it's close - about an hour or so flight. We would likely leave Rome early Sunday and head back to Zurich late Tuesday.

My husband enjoys good food and service and is not very good at navigating in foreign territories in a rental car. We need to keep it simple IYKWIM.

Thanks for any advice or ideas you might have.

gruezi
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about heading down to the Amalfi coast or Capri?
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sue,

I think my daughter would love Capri - can you fly there from Rome? Last time I went we took a boat. So this is where my geography problem is coming in.

My husband and I were on the AC last year and I think it is too much driving for this trip but a flight to Capri would be very nice.

Do you have a hotel rec?

g.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:47 AM

I would head just down the coast to Sperlonga or Gaeta.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM

I haven't ever done that, but if you are flying, there might be easier places to get home from. There are local airlines to Sardinia, but probably not from Sardinia to Zurich.

How about Malta. Ryanair flies there from Pisa on Tu/Th and Fri, and Germanwings flies from Malta to Zurich. It's only about an hour and a half to Malta from Rome. I've just read Malta is really nice.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
LJ

Italian beach resorts on the mainland are not very welcoming by October (Italians are SO conservative about when its OK to swim). You can get the occasional nice day...the further south you go, the better. You could try a flight to Brindisi (further south on the Adriatic)and a Puglian beach resort: they are full of tourists from other European countries in the early fall and still lively.

But if my husband suggested Sardinia, I'd go...never been and it is pricey but it seems like October would be an ideal time for Sardinian beaches.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for these suggestions. I will have some time this weekend to do more research and put together a bit of a plan.

gruezi