Search

Paris Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Recommendations

Hey everyone,

I am headed to Paris for a month and was wondering if you all had some suggestions for things to do while there. I have been before, but briefly. If you have any favorites I would love to heat about them.

Thanks!!!
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:04 AM

FLUNCH - cafeteria chain all over France and popular with French themselves - unlimited down home French foods for very cheap price (meat is limited) - several in Paris.

http://europeforvisitors.com/paris/articles/flunch.htm
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I need to know!
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:37 AM

The Promenade Plantee is a very beautiful walk. Total distance is about 5 K but you can enter or exit at different locations if you are not up to the total distance.
When you are there the plants and flowers should be beautiful
It is an absolutely gorgeous walk with benches to sit on to read , rest or picnic
I did the walk yesterday and loved it.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:41 AM

I second the idea of mixing it up for the month. I spent a month (twice) and did just that. Day trip to Rouen, Chartres, Giverny to name a few. Don't stay in town the whole time. Go to the outer lying suburbs, La Defense, St Denis, etc. see some exhibitions , do a search to see what's on.

Visit the big department stores, Bon Marche for the food hall,amazing, Galleries La Fayette for the dome, stand in the perfume department and look up for the best view. Go to the Deportation Memorial on I'lle St. Louis., walk the Plante Promenade near Bastille for a really long walk go right to the end and catch the metro back. See the Albert Khan gardens, Japanese in style, there is usually an exhibition on there of some description. Make sure you go to the Marmotten Museum, excuse all spelling errors can't be bothered to get up and check!! Jacquemart Andre Museum and the Nissim Camondo Museum are musts. The restaurant at the Jacquemart is worth a visit.

Go to Montmartre but don't just walk to the Sacre Coeur and Place de Tertre, make sure you really walk around, the museum there is very interesting, see rue Lepic and rue Abessess, rue Caulaincourt for the real Montmartre. Check out the vineyard and the old watering holes.

Do lots of research and come back and ask some detail questions, you will get help.

Okay that is me done,
Schnauzer
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:48 AM

FLUNCH, a cheap chain restaurant, is the last thing I'd think of to recommend to someone visiting Paris. It's like telling someone coming to America for the first time to make sure to head to Red Lobster.

Get some good guidebooks and read through them to get an idea of what interests you. Paris is a treasure, full of monuments and museums and parks and gorgeous architecture and iconic places. You're going for a full month, so start reading and absorbing! But also don't overlook one of the great pleasures of Paris, just strolling and observing and sitting at a café nursing a drink and watching the parade of people pass by.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:41 AM

It's a cheap place, maybe Denny's and I wouldn't recommend it except I think it's okay for someone who is there a month for lunch, if they just want something cheap and not some haute cuisine. Sometimes going local to places regular people go isn't so bad for a change, it's an experience.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
ira

Hey Pal,

>FLUNCH...<

Naughty, naughty.