Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome and South itinerary help, please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-and-south-itinerary-help-please-231454/)

tuscanlifeedit Jan 6th, 2008 02:55 PM

Rome and South itinerary help, please

Hi

We have tickets arriving in Rome May 2, departing May 15. That's 13 full days and nights, which is a long time for us to be away, but we haven't taken more than a week at a time in a few years.

I want to visit my ancestral home of Matera, in Lucania, Basilicata. I've been working and reworking this itinerary for months. But I finally booked a room in Rome, where we have spent a good deal of time in the past, in Trastevere, at the Arco del Lauro B&B. DH wants to explore more of Trastevere, and that is fine with me. Last time in Rome, although it was March, we felt very crowded staying near Piazza Navona. Decided against an apartment this time.

Here's what I am thinking, and I would love feedback.

May 2, 3, 4 and 5 in Rome.

May 6 and 7 in Ravello. Been to Positano and want something different. We have not been to Ravello.

On May 8, pick up a car in Salerno, drive to Paestum, and then to Matera. A long day.

May 8, 9, and 10 in Matera, with a car.

May 11... drive to Salerno and drop off car.

Now, I still want to go to Naples at the very end of the trip, leaving us May 11, 12, 13 and 14.

I've been on a day trip to Capri, but DH has not. Should we do Capri for two nights? Then Naples two nights, with early train or plane to Rome on the 15th. Alitalia (dreaded name) has a good connecting flight for us that morning).

I wasn't planning on stopping in Potenza, but had thought about an overnight on the Cilento peninsula for our Paestum visit. However, I don't like a lot of overnights.

We could skip Capri, and do the Cilento peninsula.

Any help out there?

Any recs for hotels, 150 euro tops, with AC? We need Naples, Matera and Ravello recommendations for sure.

Thanks.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 7th, 2008 05:35 AM

Ah, I posted this on Sunday night and it quickly fell to the bottom, on this fast moving board.

I'm bringing it up with hope of getting some help. Thanks.

carl170 Jan 7th, 2008 07:14 AM

We stayed in an amazing hotel in Matera in one of the convered cave dwellings. The Hotel Sassi. It's a bit tricky to drive to because of the way the old city is built. Matera is literally carved in to the sides of a hill. Here is the web site http://www.hotelsassi.it It should be within your budget. We were there in winter, so I'm not sure it has AC, but I think it does.

In Naples, I've stayed on the Mergellina waterfront, but that may not be in your budget. Further up the hill, the hotel Britannique (also has a parking area) was nice, but that's also 190E.

Ravello will be even more expensive: http://www.palazzosasso.com If you want something different from Positano, we really liked Amalfi. This is a larger town, more historic and slightly less touristy. There are more reasonable places to stay there.

Matera will be a long drive, but it is worth the trip.

kja Jan 7th, 2008 08:09 AM

Hi, tuscanlifeedit -

I think your trip sounds wonderful!

I trust you know that you can see Paestum from Salerno by train, and that you can travel between Salerno and Matera by bus. BTW, the cathedral in Salerno is wonderful; you might consider making time to visit it.

If you are interested in seeing Naples, 4 days is not necessarily too long. Whether to spend one or two nights of that time in Capri or the Cilento instead of staying in Naples depends on what you want to see and do.

Hope that helps!

mowrites Jan 7th, 2008 08:18 AM

I would highly recommend spending the two nights in Capri. You might want to look in Anacapri for a place to stay because I think that it might be a little less expensive than in Capri central. Unless you have family or a real need to go to Naples, I'm not sure that it would be worth it.

Ravello is a beautiful, small town. We stayed in the Hotel Graal for a wedding in October 2006, which was just a few minutes' walk into the center of town. I just checked availability and a room there for your dates is 170 euros. Amalfi is nice and may be cheaper, but it is a much busier waterfront town.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 7th, 2008 09:10 AM

Thanks for all the tips.

Some comments and questions:

We have visited Positano and Amalfi but are really hoping for quiet Ravello for a couple of days. I've found some less expensive pensione type places that we can afford, but there is very little information about these places.

Naples: We have spent a lot of time in Italy, but not so much south of Rome, and I do want to pay a visit to Naples. We really want to see the Archealogical museum, and the Capodimonte art museum.

Matera: as I said, that is where my family is from, and I really want to go. I also want to make a long trip from there to a village called Corleto Perticara. My maternal grandmother is from there.

Oh, Capri: I've been on day trip but that's it. DH has never been. Capri vs. Cilento: I'm thinking Cilento for the access to Paestum and to shorten the drive into deep Basilicata. Supposed to be pretty, and certainly off the beaten track.

I just can't get this trip to come together easily. It is long for us; maybe that's the problem. But for the biz class award tickets, these were the best dates I could get.

Steve_James Jan 8th, 2008 06:04 AM

Hi Tuscan - You could stay in both Capri and Cilento.

Unless they resolve the garbage crisis in Naples you might want to rethink your plans to stay there.

You could easily day-trip to Naples from Capri to see the museums ...

Steve

tuscanlifeedit Jan 8th, 2008 01:03 PM

Hi Steve

That is an interesting suggestion: to day trip from Capri. I've never been to Naples, but maybe a daytrip would be enough... I'm really confused on that.

The garbage crisis: Lordy, I hope they do something about that by May!

So Steve (and others): what do you think of

4 nights Rome
2 nights Cilento (for Paestum and relaxing)
3 nights Matera
3 nights Capri (day trip to Naples and/or Ravello?)

We have a final night that needs work, but it might be an airport stay. I'm working on getting my tickets changed, but if that doesn't happen, we have a 6:45 am flight out of Rome.

I hate to give up on Ravello, but there isn't much there that I can find that we can afford and has AC as well as decent reviews.

4 stops are my maximum, that is for sure. I could cut a day in Rome, but the first day is a bit of a wash, as I don't see us getting to our room until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and I know I will be tired.

Dayle Jan 8th, 2008 01:21 PM

Hi tuscanlifeedit,

I like the sound of your southern Italy trip. 2 days in Ravello would be very nice, but the 3 days in Cilento of the second itinerary might do the trick - more off the beaten path too!

I was thinking along the same lines as Steve James, I would not want to stay in Naples (and I liked Naples) unless the garbage problem is solved! Daytripping from Capri is definitely doable. Capri residents commute to work every day.

Buon viaggio!

Jilly2159 Jan 9th, 2008 09:04 AM

Hello,

I am staying in Ravello this June for my honeymoon. We found a lovely B&B called Punta Civita - the inkeeper is fabulous. we will be there for 7 nights and then are headingover to Capri for 4 nights.

You should look into it.

Steve_James Jan 10th, 2008 01:23 AM

Hi Tuscan - Have you tried the Ravello APT website? There must be something there in your price range ...

http://www.ravellotime.it/it/ospitalita/bab.asp

http://www.ravellotime.it/downloads/tariffe.pdf

You don't need to worry about AC either - Ravello is a few degrees cooler than down on the coast. It's not even an issue in May :)

Steve

kja Jan 10th, 2008 03:13 PM

Last May, I actually wanted a light jacket during the evenings in Ravello. . . .

mweiner Jan 14th, 2008 08:23 AM

It is really better to get a private driver or taxi to take you from Ravello to Paestum as we did. You can use Wagner Tours in Ravello to set it up- they hired a professor to take us through Paestrum. He was excellent and not too expensive. It was a very memorable excursion and worth every penny!

tuscanlifeedit Jan 14th, 2008 04:29 PM

I would love to get a driver, but we are doing this trip on the ultra cheap.

It is good to know that May might not be too hot. I will check out all the B&B recs for Ravello.

For me, AC is important. I run hot, and I'm not in the very best of health. If I get too warm, I can become quite ill.

I know that it seems a little extreme, but if you saw me sick after becoming warm, you would understand. If temps happen to be warm, I would be sunk.

So I'm going to check the recs out and come back with my updated itinerary.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 14th, 2008 04:32 PM

Ah, Punta Civita looks quite nice. However, is it actually in Ravello?

My goal is, if we hit the AC at all, to stay in Ravello. I had understood from reviews that Punta Civita is not actually in Ravello. Am I mistaken?

tuscanlifeedit Jan 14th, 2008 04:54 PM

Ok, putting air conditioning aside, I am still not sure that I can comfortably negotiate the various spots in Ravello that are in our price range. Which has been lowered; ouch.

Updated itinerary, as of today:

May 2: arrive Rome, stay 4 nights.

May 6: fast train to Salerno, and on to Paestum, stay 1 night.

May 7: drive to Matera, stay 3 nights. Day trip to Corleto Perticara, and a festa that might fit our itinerary.

May 10: drive back to Salerno, and afternoon ferry to Capri. Stay 3 nights. Maybe a daytrip to Amalfi/Ravello.

May 13: ferry to Naples. Stay at least 1 night, maybe 2.

Biggest question at the moment: Ravello or Capri?

Jilly2159 Jan 14th, 2008 05:43 PM

I am not sure if Punta Civita is in the heart of Ravello- but from the research I have done so far- it seems to be a small village. You may want to write to Roberto (innkeeper) he is the most charming, helpful person- he is what sold us since his personal touch seems to permeate into every area of his business. We booked the Romantica room- seems like the best bargin around. It looks beautiful and the views even more so. Good luck.

Steve_James Jan 15th, 2008 01:03 AM

Hi Tuscan - The Punta Civita website says 2km from the sea - so definitely not in Ravello itself.

Ravello or Capri? I'd choose Capri ...

I see a couple of logistical problems with your present itinerary.

1. There is NO afternoon ferry to Capri from Salerno. There are normally only 2/3 departures daily in May - all before 09.00 :( .

2. Day-tripping to Amalfi/Ravello from Capri is inconvenient (- you would have to ferry to Sorrento -then use public transport or ferry/hydrofoil to Amalfi from there) - as Capri-Amalfi services are in the late afternoon, NOT morning.

Here's the typical spring timetable:
http://www.comune.salerno.it/allegati/4734.pdf

As you can see, the timetable is designed for day-tripping TO Capri FROM Amalfi - not vice versa :(

So you might need to change plans. If you still want to head to Capri you could -

- drive the Amalfi Coast Salerno-Sorrento and drop the car there - then ferry from Sorrento, OR

- return to Naples - and ferry/hydrofoil to Capri from there, OR

- change the order of your itinerary, maybe?

Hope this helps ...

Steve

tuscanlifeedit Jan 29th, 2008 07:26 PM

SteveJames

I wonder if you might still be following this?

I could possibly switch a day in order to get to Salerno in the early morning for a ferry to Capri; I've committed to Capri since writing earlier.

I am totally unsure of where to watch for ferry schedules from Salerno > Capri > Naples. I have some sites bookmarked but they are confusing and/or not listing times for May.

I could do

Rome > a fast train to get me as close to Matera as possible. Any suggestions?

Then, Matera > Salerno for an overnight, which would allow for a visit to Paestum, and also the Duomo in Salerno as mentioned above, and then the early ferry to Capri. If only I could see a schedule.

From Capri > Naples by ferry and stay one or hopefully, two nights.

Thoughts? I am close to booking Matera but it would be great if I knew that I needed to change the order of the Paestum/Salerno night to one after Matera/before Capri. Oh, sigh...

Steve_James Jan 29th, 2008 09:23 PM

Hi Tuscan - The Salerno-Capri spring timetable will be posted on the following two sites.

The spring timetable will be posted when the service restarts - probably in March/Easter.

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html
(- not yet posted)

http://www.comune.salerno.it/allegati/4734.pdf
(- currently shows last autumn's timetable.

The spring timetable is normally the same -
i.e deps at: 08.10, 08.20 and 08.50
N.B from Molo Manfredi NOT Piazza della Concordia)

Steve