Rome & Madrid OR Rome & Amalfi Coast

Apr 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Rome & Madrid OR Rome & Amalfi Coast

I'm planning to go to Rome for three days in October to surprise my Italian-American grandmother for her 90th birthday. After that my husband and I have about 4 more days for exploring. One option is to fly to Madrid. I have never been, but my husband has. Another option is to stay in Sorrento and visit Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, and Capri. Neither of us have been south of Rome. Aside from Pompeii, I'm not sure there's a whole lot to see and do. Any recommendations?
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:03 PM

I would highly recommend heading to the Amalfi Coast. My husband and I spent a week in Positano last Oct/Nov and loved every moment. I believe you can catch the circumversuviana (subway) from Sorrento - or just a short bus ride to the train and then to Pompeii. But do not miss Capri, Amalfi, Positano and then higher into the mountains to Ravello. It is like heaven.
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:30 AM

Hi Lowly - 'Aside from Pompeii, I'm not sure there's a whole lot to see and do.'

Well - for me there's enough to easily fill a week

Here are a few for starters:

Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, Capri, Pompeii, Ercolano, Vesuvius, Sorrento, Paestum, Naples, Ischia, Montepertuso/Nocelle, 'Path of the Gods' (- hike), Solfatara, Caserta, Cassino ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:16 AM
ira

Hi Lb,

>Aside from Pompeii, I'm not sure there's a whole lot to see and do.<

See the Naples/AC part of my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Apr 18th, 2007, 07:04 AM

With only 4 days, I'd probably stick with Italy. However, if you are interested in Spain, why Madrid? Seville or Barcelona are far more interesting Spanish cities.
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM

I'm very interested in Steve James' response to this post. I just posted a question here about train times and mentioned staying in Amalfi and going to a lot of the places that Steve listed in his suggestion. One of the people who responded thought it was a bad idea to try to go to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Caserta, Abbe Montecassino, Paestum, etc. from the Sorrentine peninsula. I realize they're not "next door" -- but are we nuts to try to do this? We have a fearless driver in our group; we don't mind public transportation; and we'd like to stay in a villa with a deck/nice view/privacy, etc.
If Steve reads this, I'd be interested in his opinion, along with any others. We're pretty flexible about where we stay and when we go.
Thanks a lot.
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Zootsi,

We were both recently in Barcelona and loved it.

Everyone else,
What do you do in the cities along the Amalfi Coast?
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Ira,

Thanks for directing me to your detailed holiday. I am now interested in visiting Paestrum.
Apr 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Definitely stick with the Amalfi coast. Besides Pompeii, the archeological museum in Naples, all of the cute small towns along the coast there's the Isle of Capri - defiitely worth an overnight. If you go just for the day all you see are tourists packing shops (although not SO bad in October) but if you stay overnight you can visit Anacapri, the villa of Jovis and explor much more of the island (as well as the blue grotto if you like).

Separately, if you want to see Spain I agree nt to do Madrid - which is a quite modern city filled with highrises (it reminds me of Chicago more than anything else). I would do defiitely do something much more typical of Spain - and it's unique place in the history of europe -preferably Seville and other cities in the area.
Apr 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM
ira

Hi G,

>One of the people who responded thought it was a bad idea to try to go to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Caserta, Abbe Montecassino, Paestum, etc. from the Sorrentine peninsula...

I don't see why not. Just not all on the same day.

Apr 19th, 2007, 04:06 AM

Hi Gail - All the places I mentioned are viable day-trips. If you have a driver, better stilll ...

Otherwise they are all feasible by public transport or organised bus excursions.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Gee, Ira. You're a real wet blanket. I thought I'd just hop into my Hummer and zip up and down the coast, hitting the highlights.
Thanks to you and Steve for the reassurance.
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Some of them combine quite well, I think.

- Caserta and Monte Cassino are in the same direction and you could do them together.

- Similarly Paestum and Salerno.

- Vesuvius can be combined with Pompeii or Ercolano.

Hope this helps ...

Steve