Rome and luggage storage

Old May 16th, 2017, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome and luggage storage

Finally my lifetime dream is coming true and I am traveling to Italy this summer! I start in Milan for 3 nights to see a friend and then I travel on to Rome where I am renting an apartment. For my apartment check in time is 2pm and check out is by 11am but my train is getting in early and I would like to leave my bags some place while I eat something and go see something until my apartment is ready. I already asked the property manager but it is booked the night before I come so they need time to clean the apartment and it will be hard to check in much earlier than 2.

There is also no place to simply store items in the building that the housekeeper has a key to. I see that both the central train stations in Milan and in Rome have places that watch luggage for you so if I need to use it if maybe my friend is late I can probably do that in Milan but in Rome I am not near the Central Station or Metro at all but I see there are different companies and some even arrange taxis and everything.

Does anyone have a preferred luggage storage company in Rome that wouldn't be hard to access from the Trastevere neighborhood? This is where I am renting.

Or if I use one of these agencies that can bring your bags when you want them and arrange taxis how much is the cost difference usually with these and regular taxis and how reliable?

I am assuming the station has taxi rows like most I've been to but am I correct?

I see a company named Bon Bags that has excellent Google reviews and looks very easy to use and am wondering if anyone has personal experience? I am confused because Google has good reviews from the past year but Trip Advisor has nothing from this year or for awhile and the comments that were there, many were made by people who only had 1 or 2 posts.

A company called Bibbo was suggested online somewhere and they seem to have many services but am not sure if it is easy to leave my things in Monti while I am in Trastevere? Is Monti so close to the main station in the first place?

Left Luggage is another company I see and they have many services and bike rentals so I am curious but am having trouble finding reviews.

Then I see a company with locations all over called Stow Your Bags and something about automated lockers in Trastevere and the reviews I see look good but does anyone have personal experience with them? Also is it easy to get to from the main station again?

I am sorry for so many questions and looked through the forum for awhile for information on this topic but I am always thankful for everyone's personal experiences and advice! If there is anything anyone wants to add about potential luggage storage in Milan besides the main station or advice I should have about it I am also thankful just in case something gets held up meeting my friend.
Old May 16th, 2017, 04:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Where is your apartment? You will be arriving Rome's Termini train station (the main station) so I don't understand why you can't simply store your bag there and retrieve it later.
Old May 16th, 2017, 04:21 AM

Another option is to take a later train from Milan such that it arrives in Rome after your apartment becomes available.
Old May 16th, 2017, 05:08 PM
J62

There's a baggage storage near Campo di Fiori.

A quick internet search for that one, and I found this in Trastevere.
http://www.stowyourbags.com/en/shop/...tevere-center/
Old May 16th, 2017, 05:10 PM
J62

sorry - you already found stowyourbags. The one I recall near campo di fiori was not lockers but rather a staffed luggage place.
Old May 16th, 2017, 11:08 PM

As kybourbon wrote, why not store the bags at Termini.
If you don't want to walk, you can easily take the Metro from there to Spagna (2 stops). And back to Termini when you are done walking and had your lunch to go to your apartment by taxi (or take bus H, in case your apartment is close to Viale di Trastevere).
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:43 PM

Personally I have used the Stow Your Bags in the center of Rome with staff a few years back with my daughter and we just used the self service one in Milan on our recent trip. The service was excellent in the one with staff and both locations I've seen personally were very secure.

In Milan it's only lockers and no hassle which was also great and they were insured too.

I have not used their other Rome locations myself but she has been to their self service Trastevere one in the past year with her husband and says it basically works the way Milan does and we were pleased with that setup too. The fact it's insured and there are no lines, you control your own locker, it's very close to the station, and the low low prices were fantastic for us.

So since she says there is one in Trastevere that is like Milan I would definitely advise you to use it. They are a company that arranges private car transfers for airports too but if you're on trains this is probably not useful.

It's easy to get to Trastevere from Termini using public transportation but you'll see taxis lined up outside too-just make sure that the taxis are real and licensed because many people just pick people up with no authorization from the city to make a quick buck and they're not all fair. Security at Termini is now better about this than it was some years ago though.

Still, if you're not overpacking, I say just take the public transit because it's so cheap and easy.

The link J62 posted is the one for the location in the neighborhood you rented in. In comparison to the station I remember the location with staff being about the same price with much more service, but as you can see, the self service locations are much cheaper and better for hourly use. Hopefully you won't have to store anything in Milan and your friend is on time but good to know you have options there too.

Why am I so against using station bag drops? I've had too many things stolen/attempted thefts from my luggage throughout my life in Italy (decades) and it's stressful to argue for your items, compensation, etc, even when you speak the language. Then there are the often endless lines that are so long you may miss a train, pass out, or have flashbacks to waiting in line at a welfare office if you've ever had that experience. There's plenty of luggage misplacement, disorganization, and if you're looking for the worst customer service in the country, look no further than any large train station and their luggage room.

The later train from Milan idea is also a good one if you don't want to worry about locking your bags up somewhere, but since there's a safe option in your neighborhood I'd say keep the early train to Rome because you're already in Milan for a few days and with Rome waiting for you, who needs to spend more time in Milan?

Sorry, not trying to offend anyone, these are just the wholly truthful opinions of an old man who's spent at least a 3rd of my life in Italy. I also want to say I have not used the other companies and I don't think she has either, we used the train stations for years when stuck and then she found this option and she's not the kind of person who abandons a thing that works for her so she brainwashed me into following. I'm happy she did!

I am sure you'll fall in love with Rome and Trastevere is one of the best neighborhoods to do that.
Old May 19th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone again for all the detailed advice and links. It is good to know that both stations have options and that I can get a taxi there if I need one in Rome but since there is a bus H this definitely sounds like the way to go. I travel light so my taxi question is only for if I'm exhausted to death. I think I will arrive and buy a sim card and then take the H to Trastevere and use the Stow Your Bags lockers unless miracles happen and the other people check out early. It's hard to believe it's so cheap per hour but also insured but this is makes it very attractive and the fact people have positive experiences with them.
Highclasshomeless, you make me laugh saying that train station storage is like welfare lines and your "who needs to spend more time in Milan?" What do you have against Milan? Thank you for your honesty though! Glad to hear nice things about the neighborhood I am staying in! I am staying near Santa Maria in Trastevere but it is an easy walk to the tram I think when I look at the map.
Since there is a place to safely store my things not far from my rental it doesn't really make sense to leave my bags at the station and then go back for them later? I will probably also be too tired to really enjoy site seeing so better to go back and see the things in the station area on a day when I am awake. I will probably just want to relax a bit and eat, nap in a park if I need to, or see some simple things that don't cost any money so if I need to revisit them again when awake I haven't lost anything.

I guess now that I have an idea what to do with my things and can do it around where I stay I am ready to hear people's suggestions for time killing in Trastevere without spending too much or nice parks or places to just shut my eyes if I need to until I can check in?