Rome and Hotel Fontana

Search

Rome and Hotel Fontana

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome and Hotel Fontana

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Fontana in Rome and if so, what are your thoughts? The Santa Maria is booked.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM

I haven't stayed there.. just noting that it is located across from Trevi fountain, so could be quite a noisy location... my comment will at least serve to 'raise' your post so someone might see it and answer...
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:19 AM

When we were looking at hotels for our trip last summer, the reviews posted for this hotel did mention the noise factor and we made other plans. When we got to Rome and saw the crowds at the fountain, I was really glad we did. We stayed in two places, the Hotel Locarno and the Hotel San Francesco - I would stay at either one again.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:08 PM

I have booked to stay at the Fontana in May. I am a bit dubious about the noise factor but the views are meant to be amazing. I am hoping that by the time we go to bed most of the other tourists will have gone to!

I checked out the Santa Maria but I want to be east of the river.

I have researched a few other hotels but kept going back to the Fontan because it looked so nice.

It is always so hard to recommend a hotel as one man's meat etc. etc.....
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:22 AM

larrainebp, I was wondering if you were back from Italy. I would love to know what you thought of the Fontana Hotel in Rome. If anyone else has stayed there, I would love to hear what you have to say.

I have booked the Fontana Hotel for our last night in Italy during the second week of August. It looks very romantic. We will be all over Italy, but immediately before our last night at La Fontana, we will have spent close to a week in the countryside of Lazio visiting family. So we will arrive in Rome well fed and well rested! I chose the Fontana for the location, but also on our last night, hubby and I just want to hang out and savour our remaining time, and of course throw our coins in the fountain!
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:16 PM

italiangirl - I changed our booking as I was a bit concerned about the noise at the Fontana. We stayed at the Hotel Barberini which I would recommend, especially room 305. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the position was good, just a few minutes walk from the Trevi fountain and about 10 minutes to the Spanish Steps. The Fontana hotel also looked a bit run down and was quite dark inside, the staff were not particularly friendly either.

I would also recommend a restaurant for dinner called Ciampini. The food is superb. If you walk up the Spanish Steps and turn left keep walking and it is on your left. It will be necessary to book though as it gets very busy.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:57 AM

larrainebp, thanks for your reply and the input about the hotel. I am all caught up in the romantic notion of staying by the Trevi Fountain on our last night and tossing in our coins. We don't mind the noise factor as it's only one night and we can always sleep on the plane. So far, the staff have been very nice and helpful to me in all my correspondence. Another hotel (favoured by posters here) has not even replied to my emails and it's been two weeks. Oh well, perhaps I'll take a chance on the Fontana. Thanks for the restaurant recommendation too!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:56 AM
lynzy

I recently stayed at the Fontana Hotel and was absolutely pleased with our decision! Unfortunately, this hotel gets a bad wrap because many think that the noise level will be too high and speak from first-hand experience, the noise factor was a non-issue. Yes, it can get very crowded around the fountain, but never did the noise bother us. The hotel is so charming and quaint. You could practically jump in the fountain from the fourth floor breakfast room! Before we left on our vacation, I will admit that I was somewhat hesitant about our choice to stay at the Fontana. The reviews on TripAdvisor were not very good and had me thinking did we make the right choice. However, since returning and having a fabulous time, I've made it my business to make sure that everyone knows that this hotel is absolutely charming! Please read my review at: http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html. Enjoy!