Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome and Amalfi Coast with a 6 month old...are we nuts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much deliberation, we have decided to go to Italy in May with our baby. Thank you to those who responded and gave us the courage to give it a try! Do you think we should stick to Rome for one week, or go to Rome for a bit and then Sorrento (as a home base for the AC)? Is it too difficult to travel around AC with a baby? Would it be smarter to stick to bigger cities? For example, Rome then Venice? We have potentially 11 days...but are not sure if that would be too long to be away with a little one. Thoughts?
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 05:16 PM

No -you'renot crazy. Att hat age kids are pretty insert. As long as they have food and time to nap0 and parents paying attention to them, they re happy anywhere.

But - I really think you need to either rent an apartment or get a larger hotel room with at aleast a mini-fridge - so you can deal with formula and baby food. Also - you need to consider what kind of carrier yuo want (Rome streets are often cobblestones and the AC is fairly vertical - so a stroller may be more trouble than it's worth).
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 05:19 PM

The little one won't know if he/she's "away" for 11 days or 11 months or whether he/she's in a big city or not. I can't speak to the AC, as I never took my babies there, but I took a 5-month-old to Italy for 6 weeks, including a week in Rome, and have no regrets and many fond memories.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Good points. I think an apartment with a place where we can rrelax and have a glass of wine ( while the baby sleeps in another room) would be smart. Do you think that changing locations would be too difficult? It seems like a shame to go all the way to Italy and skip AC if we really want to go there as well...
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM

I think that you could stay in Sorrento but take a good look at hotel locations so that you won't be doing too much vertical hiking to the ferries, etc.

Another option is Amalfi town which is more flat, and has good ferry connections.

You could train from Rome to Salerno, then easily ferry to Amalfi.

These are just ideas, but I get so many great ideas and suggestions from this board for things I often had not thought of. I hope they get you thinking of ways to optimize your trip with baby.

I don't think moving is a horrible idea. You seem to have enough time for a second location, and if the AC is what you want, I say go for it.

I always plan my trips around what I am anxious to see or experience, and you are lucky to know what you want to do. You can't go wrong pursuing your travel desires.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to take a baby to Italy, but I would pick a location easier to get in and out of than the Amalfi coast because I am sort of a maximal worry wart about emergencies and wouldn't like my options on the Amalfi if in the middle of the night I wanted a hospital.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 09:48 PM

Actually, I wouldn't like them in the middle of the day, when the one road in and out of the Amalfi is usually a traffic jam.