Reload this Page >

Rome-Amalfi day trip

Search

Rome-Amalfi day trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Laura

Rome-Amalfi day trip

Would love to have some directions on how to *best (w/o much hassle, too much $$), get from Naples train station to Pompeii, then Amalfi coastal areas (w/Ravello), then back to Naples train station to go back to Rome.<BR>I really need this info...Leaving next week.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:22 PM
John

Hi Laura,<BR><BR>A very, very, very, very, very full day.<BR><BR>A train or bus to Pompeii. The Amalfi coast is not serviced by trains only buses.<BR><BR>Having said that, adjusting your plan might be the best plan. Sorry.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Howard

If I understand you correctly, you want to do Pompeii and the Amalfi coast in one day, starting and ending in Rome. Forget it. Between taking public transportation and seeing Pompeii in itself will take pretty much the whole day.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Laura

Crazy as it is, we're going for it... ALL in 1 day....Plan is: ES train Rome-Naples arrives 10:30am, private car picks us up at train station, takes us to Pompeii (can only spend couple hrs I guess), then to Positano (lunch), Ravello (any other *if time), then back to Naples for 8:30 ES to Rome. Sorrentolimo.com is charging 300Euros for 10hrs.<BR><BR>I know it sounds crazy, but *can it be done...just to at least visit the area?<BR>Better than not at all....maybe....?<BR><BR>Laura

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:24 PM
John

Hi Laura,<BR><BR>Hmmmmmmm, the lunch in Positano will be a very late lunch. Suggest you do lunch near Pompeii and perhaps have an early dinner in Positano.<BR><BR>In fact you may want to consider substituting Herculaneum for Pompeii (as it is much more compact with similar site interests)<BR><BR>Still think this day is a bit much, but have fun.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Laura

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. If we stop for a quick bite after Pompeii (my friend really has her mind set on it), any suggestions?<BR><BR>Laura <BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Laura

To get a better idea of what this day is going to be like......If we're picked up at Naples TS at 10:30, would Pompeii be the closest 1st stop? And how long does it take to drive there from TS? Then, going to Positano and Ravello, which would be the 1st stop, and how long does it taken to drive from Pompeii? <BR><BR>I really appreciate this info!<BR>-Laura-<BR><BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:09 PM
gladys

I just came back from Naples Pompeii , Hercolano and the Amalfi coast and to pretend to do just Pompeii in one day is crazy there is a lot to see . Unless you just want to say you been there. Herculalaneum is smaller and better preserved, Oplonti is really nice.The road to the Amalfi coast has many many curves is very nice you need a few hours to enjoy the place, we rented a van and a driver I liked Sorrento it has many nice shops with things I didnt see elsewhere we where based in Naples

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Laura

We already have our train tix, so our block of time (10:30-8:30) is set. I'm now wondering...if we passed on Pompeii altogether on this trip, and went on to the Amalfi area, would *that make for a more pleasant/realistically achieveable day? Just trying to make this work. A day is all we've got.<BR> <BR><BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Steve James

Laura - It's certainly an ambitious day!<BR>To make it more enjoyable and less of a rush I think you'd need to leave Rome earlier. You certainly wouldn't make Positano in time for lunch (it's about an hour's drive) unless you're at Pompei by 09.00 or soon after. <BR><BR>If I were doing it I'd use ferries rather than a driver - more fun and much cheaper. And I'd probably do it the other way round. e.g.<BR><BR>- Early morning EUROSTAR (06.10) to SALERNO (rather than Naples)<BR>- Ferry to Amalfi <BR>- Bus to Ravello<BR>- Lunch at Amalfi <BR>- Ferry to Positano from Amalfi<BR>- Bus+Circumvesuviana (or taxi) from Positano to Pompei<BR>- Train back to Rome from Naples.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:06 AM
John

Hi Laura,<BR><BR>Yes you would have a much nicer day if you either:<BR><BR>1. Did Pompeii and returned to Rome<BR>or<BR>2. Did Amalfi Coast (Positano / Ravello) and returned to Rome.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Laura

Boy, I can't tell ya how much I appreciate/needed this feedback! I only wish I would've asked sooner, bfr buying our train tix. I must have spent 50 hrs tryin' to figure this out! <BR><BR>I realized that ES/Circumvst/bus was probably going to make this DAY crazy, so I gave up on that. But I thought ferries weren't running yet (in April), so I turned to the more exp. pvt drvr option to try to get it done.<BR><BR>We're at Naples TS at 10:30. *Is there a nearby ferry that will take us to Amalfi area? That sounds perfect to strt from there, if possible, and just do Pompeii at the end *if there's time.<BR><BR><BR>If ferry is running now, can someone give me current ferry info (for Apr20). From Naples TS, how+where would we catch the ferry? If *this works, I'll just arrange for the car at ferry dropoff.<BR><BR>If not the ferry, I'm going to try to talk friend into doing Pompeii next time.<BR><BR>Once again, thank you all sooooo very much!<BR>-Laura-

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 12:08 PM
jahoulih

Laura, you can still use your train tickets even if you go at different times; you'll just have to pay 3 Euros per to change the reservations--much less than the 300 Euro driver!. Here's how I'd do it:<BR><BR>Eurostar Rome to Naples 6:10-7:56<BR>Circumvesuviana to Pompei Scavi 8:11-8:36<BR>Circumvesuviana to Sorrento 11:17-11:47<BR>Lunch in Sorrento<BR>Bus to Amalfi 15:05-15:30<BR>Hydrofoil to Salerno 18:00-18:35<BR>Eurostar to Rome 19:40-22:15<BR><BR>Here's a site for hydrofoil schedules: http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...hetti/navi.asp

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 12:11 PM
jahoulih

Oops - the bus time is 14:05-15:30.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 12:32 PM
jahoulih

A few more points:<BR><BR>If you want to stop for lunch in Positano instead of Sorrento, take the 12:35 bus from Sorrento, reach Positano at 13:10, and catch the bus there at 14:40 for Amalfi at 15:30.<BR><BR>If you want to see Ravello, get the bus at Amalfi at 16:30 for Ravello at 16:55; return bus leaves at 17:50 for Amalfi at 18:15. There's another boat from Amalfi for Salerno at 18:40, which should get you there in time for your train. (You'll need to buy a train ticket for Salerno to Naples, but your Naples to Rome ticket will still be good. There's also a slightly later train, leaving Salerno at 20:18 and arriving in Rome at 22:50. Again, you'd just need a new ticket for the Salerno-to-Naples portion and a new seat reservation.)

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Kay

Ravello and the view from Villa Cimbrone is a favorite of mine, but you could save some time, if you skipped that.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Geoff

Laura,<BR><BR>Particularly for the 300Euro cost I think you would be much better to take Circumvesuviana or a ferry. I don't believe the ferries run to Amalfi from Naples at that time of year, they go generally to either Capri or Sorrento.<BR>The problems with the ferries is they run only so often so even though it's not as time consuming as you've mentioned, you might have to wait to get the next one. On the other hand Circumvesuvianna runs very often as a commuter train. It's not that bad and will save you loads of money. If you want a driver you might pick one up in Sorrento.<BR><BR>While doing just Amalfi would be a good way to not be so hectic, there is another idea for a compromise. How about doing Pompeii, or maybe Herculano (smaller and closer to Naples) and then stopping in Sorrento instead of continuing to Amalfi. The trip to Amalfi you describe is about 2 hours in just travel time from Sorrento. There are nice places in Sorrento that give you some idea of the coastal area. You should be able to be much more leisurely and yet seem some of the area as well as Pompeii.<BR><BR>Another idea - if you do choose to only do Amalfi/Rovello/etc. take your friend to Ostia since you'll be in Rome. It offers a way to see Roman ruins if you can't get to Pompeii.<BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Laura

I've printed out the information and suggestions you've *all been so kind to provide, and have e-mailed it to my travel companion. <BR><BR>I'm so grateful for a place like this!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Steve James

Laura - Jahoulih has come up with an excellent schedule! I'd only make one change if you want to see Ravello:<BR><BR>There's a boat from Positano to Amalfi leaving Positano at 14.40, arriving Amalfi at 15.05.<BR><BR>This would allow you to catch Amalfi-Ravello bus leaving Amalfi at 15.30, arriving Ravello at 16.00.<BR><BR>You could then catch the return Ravello-Amalfi bus leaving Ravello at 16.55. You would then be in time for the 18.00 boat from Amalfi to Salerno, which arrives at Piazza della Concordia near the station.<BR><BR>The later boat which Jahoulih mentions lands at Molo Manfredi, which is some distance from the station. The 18.00 boat is a more convenient option.<BR><BR>That's going to be a very full day out! Have fun!<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>