Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome airport transfers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-airport-transfers-811076/)

Celia Oct 20th, 2009 11:00 AM

Rome airport transfers

I'm looking at two companies for transfer from the airport to our rental apartment in Rome on November 1. Rome Cabs seems popular, but costs 45 Euros. AirPortShuttle costs 36 Euros. Rome Cabs promises to wait for you forever if your flight is late; the other only promises to wait an hour and a half. Given the possibility of a late plane, I'd be willing to pay a bit more to guarantee they'll be there when we arrive. Neither web site is very informative about which if any credit cards they accept.

Does anyone have experience with either of these companies, or perhaps another one? I'd appreciate advice.

Thanks, Celia

kybourbon Oct 20th, 2009 12:02 PM

Another option is a taxi which is a set fee of 40€ for four people including luggage. You just need to make sure you get an official Rome taxi, not a city of Fiumicino (they can charge 60€) or a rogue taxi.
http://www.adr.it/portal/portal/adr/...vo_in_taxi_FCO

justshootme Oct 20th, 2009 03:28 PM

I've used Rome Cabs, but not from the airport, I've used from the city to port and from the port to the airport. They were reliable and the vehicles they sent were clean and could accomodate all passengers and baggage. We paid cash to the driver.

If you are flying to FCO you can arrange a taxi for a flat fee once you arrive, just be careful if you plan on doing this, most of the time everything is alright,. However, a friend of mine had the bad luck of visiting Rome during a transit strike (not sure which transit system was on strike) and it was next to impossible to get a taxi. She was stuck at the airport for several hours, before she could find some transport.

Graziella5b Oct 20th, 2009 04:44 PM

I used an autoleggio sent by the hotel. Which was great. However my advise is always have a plan B. In this case because I was going to the Trastevere, I found out exactly how to get there using the train that stops in Trastevere station. I did not need it but it is nice to know that something should happen you are not helpless.

John Oct 20th, 2009 07:44 PM

I used Rome Cabs from FCO to our hotel last week. On time, english speaking drivers, clean comfortable car waiting for us with a bottle of free cold water for each of us. Used them from FCO to the hotel, from the hotel to our port and from our port to hotel. They will wait for your late flight until you arrive.
Excellent service. They DO NOT accept charge cards. Cash only.

Flame123 Oct 20th, 2009 08:09 PM

RomeCabs definitely all the way. Courteous, reliable, clean, on time. I have used them several times, always return to them. Taking a taxi in Rome is quite a "chance" in my opinion. I have been scammed more than once, and I have sworn off them. It is truly a shame that this is what "greets" visitors to a new or foreign country. Save money where you can, don't save on this. Worth every Euro for peace of mind.

Celia Oct 21st, 2009 10:07 AM

Thank you all. I will go with Rome Cabs. I want to book for both pickup from the airport and return to it, so I don't want to trust to being able to find a taxi very early in the morning on departure day.

I wish they took credit cards, but you can't have everything, I guess.

Thanks, folks.

Cedar240 Oct 21st, 2009 10:48 AM

I had just heard some disturbing news...If you call for a taxi, the time starts when they are notified not when they arrive to your location..so ask, I had a taxi in rome take us the long way around to go to a club. Our return taxi took us directly to the hotel. The first taxi charged us 4 times more then the last taxi charged..Also, ask the owners of your apartment what they would recommend, they may to be able to get you a great price..

jagangjee Oct 21st, 2009 04:45 PM

We just returned from our trip to Italy and I will say the biggest concern that I had was if our private driver would be there once we got to Roma. We went with Rome Cabs and you can rest assure that they will be there!! We landing over an hour early and they were there. After booking they will provide you with mobile phone numbers and emails to keep communications going in the event something changes with your flight. Pick up was very professional, the Mercedes was nice and clean....as we were going into the city our driver gave us a nice tour on our way to our hotel of many of the sights in the city, which was very nice of him. We too paid 45 euro, but I think if you book roundtrip in advance they should be able to give you a better rate. You can't go wrong with Rome Cabs!