Rome airport to Tiburtina Station to catch bus to Siena

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2010, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I've just joined and am about to embark from Australia to Italy. Can someone please advise on how to get from Rome's Fiumincino airport to Tiburtina Station to catch the bus to Siena. Any tips or advice much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Elvtee.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Take the local train FM1 (not the Leonardo Express) from the airport to Tiburtina. Cost is 8€. It departs every 15 minutes.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 08:04 PM

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

Enter Fiumicino aeroporto and Roma Tiburtina. You must enter a date within 7 days for prices to show.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kybourbon. Is there much difference in buying the train ticket at the airport and prepurchasing on the internet?
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM

Trenitalia does not process US credit cards, but I don't know if they will process yours. There is no point to buy this ticket in advance as it's a slow R train which doesn't have seat reservations (like a commuter train). It doesn't sell out. Just purchase your ticket at the airport. For R trains you must stamp your ticket before boarding (yellow machine trackside). For all other types of trains in Italy, your tickets will come with a reserved seat and don't need to be validated.

You can buy your Sena bus tickets online.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Kybourbon. Any advice on getting to the train at Fiumincino airport from the arrivals hall and how long the journey takes from the airport to Tiburtina station. This would help me decide what time to book the bus for Siena when buying ticket online. Thanks heaps
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM

http://www.roninrome.com/%20transpor...station-at-fco

If you will have checked luggage, you need to allow time to retrieve your luggage and walk to the FCO train station. Travel time from FCO to Tiburtina is 45 minutes. Allow some time to find your bus location at Tiburtina as some private bus lines can be quite a walk from the station. Ask Sena where their bus stop is located.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kybourbon for the info and the link. The Aus Government site warns about increased incidences of thefts on trains in Italy so will need to be as organised and cool-looking as possible.

Do you know anything about Norway? I posted a question about going there mid to late October and about possible tours but got no response.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:32 PM

It's been a few years since I did this, and kybourbon is giving great info,so I'll just add some of my off-hand impressions:

I remember it was a fair walk to the train station in FCO. I don't remember it as being confusing or anything. Once there, there were a ton of little ticket agency booths selling tickets for the Leonardo Express, which is (as noted by kybourbon) NOT the train you want. Iirc, only one or two agents sold the tickets for the slow train to Tiburtina, but as soon as you told any agent that you really did want to go to Tiburtina and not take the Leonardo Express to Termini, they'd point you to whoever was selling the right tickets.

The train ride itself was fine. I had assumed any pickpockets would target tourists on the Leonardo Express, so I had my guard down, and nothing happened. (I think someone else from my conference did get pickpocketed on the Tiburtina train, if I remember correctly, though. I think it was the look-like-a-tourist-and-ask-for-help-with-a-map trick.)

Once at Tiburtina, you have to exit the station and cross a big street/parking lot to get to the bus station. There are a ton of different bus lines, each with their own ticket office, so give yourself time to find the right ticket office and bus bay, and don't be shy about asking for directions.

The immediate viscinity of the bus station wasn't particularly scenic or anything, but there were some little shops and such, so if you have time to kill before you bus, it wasn't a fantastic place to be, but you could buy some food and drinks.

Both times I've done this, I was going to L'Aquila, and the busses were punctual, clean, efficient, and altogther a perfectly fine experience. I'd guess the busses to Siena would be fine, too.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

SelfPropelledTripod, thanks for the useful, scene-setting info to add to the earlier good comments.
Ciao!
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kybourbon is absolutely correct.

To add slightly, buy your bus ticket online as it is significantly cheaper (http://www.sena.it/index_e.htm)I seem to remember the site gives several stops in Siena, if so, choose Piazza Gramsci - it is where nearly everybody gets off anyway.