Search

rome airport to positano -- at night?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rome airport to positano -- at night?

Hi --

We arrive at the airport in rome at 7pm. we are going to try not to check bags, and hope we can get to positano that evening. last time, we took the train to salerno and then the boat to positano, which was great, but that is clearly not an option this time.

Please comment / advise on the following options:
(traveling june 11th)

1. renting a car at the airport and driving ourselves.

2. taking train into rome and then a train to naples. (lots of evening options on trenitalia website) and then have a driver take us from naples train station to positano. how much would this cost (the driver)?

are there any other options??

thanks so much.
i really want to wake up IN positano...

dina

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM

I couldn't imagine doing that drive in a jet lagged condition let alone at night in a jet lagged condition. Even without luggage, I would estimate it will take until at LEASt 8 pm to get the car and drive away from FCO. If all goes well, you hit Naples around 10pm and then have about an hour of dark, winding, narrow Amalfi Drive ahead of you. Like I said, I couldn't do it. If you do the train/driver option you'd get into Termini around 8. Catch the superfast train at 8:44 and arrive in Naples at 10:05. Meet your driver and be in Positano at 11, same as you would have if you drove yourself. I'd go the train/driver route.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
Based on 6 replies I received this week from various private transfer people, the bids for taking 2 people from Rome/FCO to Naples during the day in mid May ranged from 300E to 450E. If you're interested in exploring the private driver option, you might send out a similar email to get a specific quote for your situation.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM
ira

Hi dina,

DO NOT DRIVE.

A limo from Naples train station to Positano is about 110E, but there might be a night rate differential.

We were pleased with Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it

Also consider Francesco. http://www.francescomarrapese.com/

Your third option would be the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento, the SITA bus to Positano and a walk down the hill into town.

I would hire a limo from Naples.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
ira

OOPS,

4th option:

Train to Salerno, SITA bus to Positano via Amalfi.

You still end up at the top of the hill, though.

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Neither. With #1, you will be exhausted and the roads--once into the Amalfi area are dangerous. You need all of your wits about you. Choice #2--Even once you get into Naples, you will have to arange for a driver or taxi. Trentalia schedules may "say" one thing, but on the day you arrive, connections can go awry. Pleae consider spending your first night at a lovely Rome hotel, having a capuccino and THEN leaving for the Amalfi coast. June is soooo lovely in Roma.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM

You want to wake up in Positano, but if you try that drive jet-lagged at night you may never wake up again!
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM

If you have driven in that area before, then I don't think driving is such a bad idea. But if you haven't driven there, or in Italy at all, then don't.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM

IMHO we've driven that area several times and it's not particularly dangerous

But, getting off a plane jet lagged we never drive more than 1 to 1.5 hours - and always in the daylight. I wouldn;t attempt that long a drive after dark in a long jet-lagged condition. Just too scary.

I would stay in Rome.

If you really want to go that night, take the train to Naples and have a car pick you up there.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM

I agree - there's no need to push yourself silly on your first night. Having made that trek too, I think that Grinsia's suggestion is the fastest/easiest.

Have some limoncello for us!
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

ok, the driving ourselves was clearly not a good idea. even though we've driven all over Italy many times, i forgot how tired we would be AND how dangerous that coast is!

the train, and then a driver would be the best thing.

ira, thanks for the recommendations.

and i will definitely have limoncello for all of you!! thanks!!

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:21 AM

Public transport to Positano is not an option at that time of night, Ira.

Steve
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Dina: The quotes for drivers from Naples AIRPORT to Amalfi ranged from 80 to 100 Euro last spring. Driving time to Positano may be longer--I am not sure (we drove via Furore).

I would gather quotes from a number of drivers; I found price differences of almost 100 euro when pricing a day trip to Paestum.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM

The drive INTO Positano is magnificent...in the daytime. Why rush..and miss the best part
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM

I agree that the drive into Positano should not be missed. Spend your first night in Rome, then down to Positano in the morning. Lucky you!
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

yes, well actually, there is a hurry, as italy is just a stopover on our vacation this summer -- 3 nights only into Rome. We figured we'd stay in Rome, since we love it, but then i got this idea to go down to positano instead, and have tried to work it out.

We've been to rome several times and to positano once before (having arrived during the day).
it's not worth it for us (time and expense in traveling down there) to arrive in poistano the next day and then only have 2 nights and 1 full day there.

which is why i'm trying to get there the first night.

btw, i have gotten 2 quotes for the drive from naples to positano --100 and 120 euros. (from your guys, ira)

thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM

we hired a driver and car to go from Rome airport to Positano. We had 5 people to share the cost and negotiated a lower price as we got the driver and car to take us back to Rome. Worth eevry EURO
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:10 PM

I would hire a driver to pick me up at FCO and drive me to Positano, in fact I have done that a few times. If you don't mind the expense it is relaxing and the best way after a long flight.

The driver can communicate to the hotel or wherever you are staying by his cell phone and keep them informed of your arrival to Positano.

If you really want to wake up in Positano and not be overly stressed after your arrival, it is the best idea. Did you ask the drivers you have already contacted? If you make a deal to use them for a day trip or for the return, it should be a good price.

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 03:57 AM

I agree with SeaUrchin, especially now that I understand your time limitations.

I would recommend contacting drivers in addition to the two you've spoken with.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM

One more thought--why not spend your Italy nights in a lovely area where you haven't been before? One that's not so far away from FCO? Surely, there must be many charming places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -