Rome airport to downtown Florence

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:17 AM
annie

Rome airport to downtown Florence

I have airplane tickets into Rome airport and now, am going to meet a friend at her hotel in Florence. I understand that I need to take two trains - one from the airport to Termini, then the Eurostar from Termini to Florence. My questions are:

1. Is it easy to find the train station at the Rome airport? Is it in the airport or will I need to take a cab to Termini?

2. For the train between Rome airport and Termini, do I need to buy tickets in advance? I hear there are vending machines from which you can buy tickets. Are they easy to use?

3. Can I buy just one combined ticket that will work for both the ride to Termini and the ride into Florence?
Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:49 AM
Alex

I did exactly what you're planning to do about a year and a half ago. It was easy to follow signs from the Rome airport to the trains to Termini, all in the same building (though I hope you have wheeled luggage). Once I got to Termini. it was a little more confusing because there are so many diffrent train options--some take one hour, some 2, some 3 depending on how many stops along the way,. I suggest you look at the train schedules and fares online(http://www.fs-on-line.com/) because you want to have an approximate idea of which trains go when. If for example you end up missing the train that only takes one hour, you might actually be better off taking the slower more local trains
rather than waiting for the next rapid train. Of course, the slower trains are cheaper, as is 2nd class rather than first. There are vending machines that sell the tickets (and I'm pretty sure that English was one of the choices) but when I was there, the lines for the machines were much longer than the lines for attended ticket booths. If your Italian is as minimal as mine,memorize AND write out what you're looking for (1st or 2nd class, one way or R/T, "Roma to Firenze" --all in Italian, of course)
to ask and give to the ticket booth attendant.
I don't recall seeing any kind of combined tickets for the 2 legs of the trip.
Good luck!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:24 PM
GAC

You need two separate tickets: one from Roma Aeroporto to Roma Termini (rated only first class, departures every half-hour, 32 minute ride), and another from Roma Termini to Firenze S. M. Novella (first or second class, Eurostar, or otherwise). I suggest taking the Eurostar, which leaves hourly and takes only 95 minutes. You can purchase your ticket and secure your seat reservation (to Florence) simultaneous with purchasing the ticket (unreserved seating) to Roma Termini at the airport.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:52 PM
annie

Thanks very much Alex and GAC for the info! I'm a little less nervous about this airplane-train-train trip now.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:13 PM
Sherry

If it would make you a little more comfortable, you can print up a schedule from the Trentitalia website for the train from Roma to Firenze.
Print the page containing the times that you will possibly take the train from the Termini. You can show this page to the cashier at the Rome aiport ticket booth.
They are very nice and will sell you both tickets. Do not forget to validate the airport to Roma ticket at the track in the machine before boarding.
Validate the Florence ticket in a similar machine when you locate the track for the train you must take at the Termini.
The cashier will also ask you which class of ticket you would like. You must board that class of car at the Rome Termini.
First or second class is a personal choice, but I would take the Eurostar to Florence as GAC suggests.
I think second class is about $35.00, one way.