Rome airport taxi scam

Oct 1st, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Rome airport taxi scam

A word of warning to visitors arriving at Rome airport (Leonardo Da Vinci--Fiumicino). We have traveled to Rome frequently and have often taken taxis from the airport to the center of the city. The fare is metered and there is a supplement for baggage. In mid-September we arrived and took a registered white Rome taxi from the official rank. After the inital couple of minutes getting seat-belts on, etc. we noticed that the driver had not started the meter. When we questioned this, he told us that there was now a fixed 75 Euro charge. This is absolutely NOT the case. He argued that this was advertized in the airport terminal (it is not) and there was nothing on the official tariff sheet to indicate that this was the case. There was a lot of argument and discussion, and at our insistance, he put the meter on after-- I said he should take us to a police station. Be warned, and don't let a dishonest cab driver spoil your arrival in this wonderful city.
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:22 AM
P_M

Thanks for the notice. I had problems in Athens with dishonest cab drivers. The fares are posted on signs at the airport, but when one cabbie tried to overcharge me, I asked for a receipt and told him I'm calling the police. The fare then dropped like a stone.
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:23 AM
P_M

I almost forgot--get your luggage out of the trunk before you start arguing.
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:34 AM

P_M, now I'm confused. Are you saying you start the argument before you leave the airport and remove your luggage rather that starting on the journey? In the case above, the subject apparently never came up until they left the airport. Or are you saying don't have the "argument" until you arrive at the destination and get your stuff out of the trunk? If he's already explained what he's charging you, isn't it odd that you wouldn't question that until you arrived? Otherwise, I see stopping along the highway and getting the luggage out. None of these three scenes seem quite logical.
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:40 AM

I suspect that in P_M's case, since the fares are posted at the airport, the taxi driver only mentioned the fare he was (over-)charging when they got to P_M's destination.
Oct 1st, 2004, 09:43 AM
P_M

Once we reached the destination and I was getting out of the cab, he came up with a reason to charge a lot more than he was supposed to. After removing my bag from the trunk, I refused to pay what he was asking, and you know the rest. Sorry for the confusion.
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM
ira

Hi Beverley,

Thanks for the heads up about making sure the driver starts the meter.
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:43 AM

Actually, I guess that was clear P_M, I was trying to make your statement apply to beverleylondon's example.
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM

Taxi driver larceny is the rule pretty much throughout Europe, not just in Rome. The exceptions I have found are in London, and possibly in the Netherlands (though I know a bit of the language and I know my town so I can't be zapped).

On the Continent always ask the driver what he will charge before you get in or let him touch your bags. Then write the price on a piece of paper and show it to him. Ask for his agreement. Even in Aachen, Germany, after doing this, the driver tried to sock me.

Prices may depend on the time of day, day of the week, number of passengers, and number of suitcases. Get the whole story before you get in the cab, not when you are getting out.

Watch the meter, unless you have a fixed price deal for a long ride between cities, in which case the meter is not running.

Oct 1st, 2004, 06:24 PM

You not only have to watch the meter in some countries but also the A/B switch and the number. A/B in some countries refers to daytime or night rate (later is higher) In some countries they also have a number for the number of passengers. SO if you are alone and get into a cab in the morning, make sure the meter does not have a B and/or a 2 or 3 on it otherwise it will be ticking a tad faster than it should! Baggage is always extra per bag.