Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Airport Shuttle - reliable? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-airport-shuttle-reliable-1006080/)

Lnwyd Feb 17th, 2014 11:22 AM

Rome Airport Shuttle - reliable?

We'll (2 senior adults) be spending 2 weeks in Rome April 1-14, staying in an apartment in Trastevere. Our rental company can arrange a car, but it will be 55 euros (plus tip I assume). I see some Fodors folk are using romeairportshuttle.com. They advertise 45 euros one way, 85 euros it you book round trip ahead of time.

Has anyone used this service recently?

Questions: Is the romeairportshuttle price fair? How much of a tip is expected? Do they take you to your exact destination? And are they RELIABLE?

We could, I suppose take the train from the airport to the Rome train station but we'll be shlepping luggage and we'll still need to get from their to the apartment. We welcome advice.

Thanks for your help.

bvlenci Feb 17th, 2014 12:57 PM

I've used www.romeshuttlelimousine.com which was very reliable. Right now they cost only 40 euros each way, but I just checked their web page and see that they're going up to 45 euros on April 1st.

They wait for you in the arrivals hall bearing a sign with your name on it, and take your luggage to their car.

denisea Feb 17th, 2014 02:09 PM

http://www.romecabs.com/

We used them on the recommendation of another Fodorite who travels to Rome regularly.

Great service, east to use, no problems at all.We were there last year.

Lnwyd Feb 17th, 2014 03:02 PM

bvlenci and denisea, thank you so much. That's very reassuring. I'm feeling that this is the way to go. Most appreciative. Ellen

davispeets Feb 17th, 2014 03:20 PM

I used "Rome Airport Shuttle" in October of 2012 to and from the airport and it was reliable. I had an early flight back and he was downstairs waiting well before our appointed time. We had a not brand new Mercedes pick us up and a van take us back.

The website address is www.romashuttle.com .

The company denisea mentioned was fully booked (romecabs) when I reserved, so I went went the other company.

KTtravel Feb 17th, 2014 03:52 PM

We used one of these services, I am afraid I don't remember which one, and was so glad we did as the taxis were on strike when we landed. You can do a search here to see which services Fodorites have used in the past and have been happy with.

Our car service was waiting for us when we arrived and drove us to our exact destination. I tipped significantly extra as he waited TWO extra hours until my wayward luggage could be located.

dfourh Feb 17th, 2014 04:18 PM

There is a 'local' train from FCO to the Travestere train station (as opposed to taking the express to Termini). You could then grab a cab at the Travestere station and probably save a bundle.

Lnwyd Feb 22nd, 2014 01:21 PM

That's all helpful and reassuring. Thanks much. Ellen

4Kristi Feb 22nd, 2014 02:49 PM

We used romeshuttlelimosine.com a few years ago and they were very reliable even when our flight was 5 hours late. He was waiting for us. Have a great time.

kybourbon Feb 22nd, 2014 03:15 PM

All the shuttles will be in the same range since taxis are a set fee of 48€ (four people including luggage). Most shuttles undercut that a tad. There is one shuttle (I think it's called airport shuttle) that is more of a shared van and you are combined with other people so it makes several stops dropping people.

Your other option is the local train (FR1 aka FL1)from the airport (not the Leonardo Express). It departs every 15 minutes and the cost to Trastevere station is 8€. Might not be convenient depending on where you are staying in Trastevere although there is a tram from there to Piazza Venezia (1.50€).

DAX Feb 23rd, 2014 03:12 PM

Just adding to Kybourbon train info, the tram/bus ride throughout Rome is included in the FL1 train ticket as long as it is within 50 minutes after validation time. I made the mistake of buying the extra tram ticket and the local people told me not to use the ticket that I bought from the tabachi but use the FL1 ticket on the tram as well

johnnyomalley Feb 24th, 2014 09:57 AM

I alwasys use romecabs, they have never let me down.
www.romecabs.com