Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome airport - need approximate cost and times for all types of transportation to train station - trying to make a 10:30 am Saturday Vatican Tour, if possible!

Rome airport - need approximate cost and times for all types of transportation to train station - trying to make a 10:30 am Saturday Vatican Tour, if possible!

Jan 13th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

We are 3 people arriving at the Rome airport from Toronto at 7:15 on a Saturday morning in July. We are staying at Capo D'africa near the Colosseum, and want to make it to the Vatican for a tour beginning at 10:30 in the morning.

Can somebody assist in advising as to the approximate costs and travel times for us to arrive at our hotel, do a quick shower and take the subway to the Vatican by 10:00 to meet up with our planned tour.

I am looking for all 3 modes of transportation -bus, train and taxi.

There is also an 11:15 tour apparently available, if need be, but as we are scheduled to leave Rome Monday morning ( and yes, we have been to Rome before,so we are aware that ordinarily 2 days would not be enough, but this is all the time that we can afford on this trip, and obviously our opportunities to tour the Sistine/Museums on a week-end are limited)we would prefer to make the 10:30 tour if reasonably possible.

As always,thanks for any assistance, comments, recommendations or advice.

Jan 13th, 2006, 06:20 AM

That's an awfully tight schedule. Do 45 minutes really make that much of a difference? If so, I'd hate to read your entire itinerary!
Further, I wonder whether you'll be able to check into your hotel room that early.
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:39 AM
ira

Hi N,

I think that the only way you could possibly make it to the Vatican by 10:00 would be to have a cab take you to your hotel to drop off luggage and then to the Vatican.

Figure about 70E.

Jan 13th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I was thinking the same thing as Howard - I doubt your hotel room will be ready, so you're probably not going to be able to shower.

I sure wouldn't want to start my first day of an overseas trip with a schedule like that. I think you'd better plan on the later tour.
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:03 AM

You can rarely check into a hotel room in the US that early in the morning.
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:11 AM
mjs

I am just curious as to why you want to push yourself to do a tour of the Vatican right after you have arrived in Rome after a long tranatlantic flight if you have already toured Rome in the past.
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

I get the idea - 11:15 it will be.

Assuming that the showering is not too important and that we will leave our bags with the hotel, should the "rush" be sufficiently lessened?

The reason for the Vatican this trip is that we are taking our 18 year old daughter with us for her first time in Europe, and therefore want her to see the Vatican, even though the opportunity will be limited. We plan on using the Vatican's own tour which will enable us to bypass the line-up, and which will provide some expert insight of the Museum/Sistine.

By the way, when my wife and I were in Rome for the first time last May, we took the advice of a number of Fodorites and arranged for a tour of both the Forum and the Vatican with Context/Scala. As wonderful as the Forum tour was, that was just how terrible the Vatican tour was. I was not going to make an issue of this until, a few months later I was asked, by e-mail, as to my comments. I explained to Paul at Scala that the guide appeared to be somewhat of a novice who unfortunately was more concerned with his English language and the ability to be understood than with the contents of his tour. To Paul's credit, he immediately gave us a 50% credit.

My points are as follows :

(a) even the best tours can sometimes deliver below standard services, so I really do not feel amiss about using the somewhat criticized Vatican-own tour - espscially when it appears to be one of only 2 or 3 that provide mid-Saturday tours;and
(b) if I ever do want the services of a reputable touring company, and was not intimidated by the cost, I would absolutely have no hesitation whatsoever in using or recommending Scala - merely the absolutely professional manner in which Paul handled my dissatisfaction (especially when coupled with the wonderful Forum tour provided by Sara) has won my admiration and support.

Now having finished with this tangent, can someone tell me as to time and costs for bus and train/subway, as well as time for taxi ( thank you Ira, as always).
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:31 AM

There is no bus service between Fiumicino airport and downtown Rome.

The Leonardo Express train leaves Fiumicino every half hour and takes 32 minutes to get to Roma Termini. It costs 9.50 Euro. It takes about 15 minutes to walk from the Leonardo track to the taxi stand in front of the station. (I tried the Via Giolitti exit once; there were no cabs around.) It is impossible to say how long the line or the wait for a taxi will be. The taxi to your hotel will cost 8 to 10 Euro, more or less.

If you want to take the Metro from Colosseo, you have to transfer at Termini. According to ATAC (the Rome public transportation system), the Cipro Metro stop is closer to the Vatican Museums while the Ottaviano Metro stop is better for St. Peter's Basilica. I have no idea how long it will take by Metro, because I never use it in Rome.

Jan 13th, 2006, 08:36 AM
ira

Hi N,

The train from FCO to Rome TE leaves on the :05 and the :35, takes :30 min and costs 9.5E pp.

You can take Metro Line B to the Colesseum. 1E pp.

From there, you can take the metro back to Rome TE and change to the A line to get to the Vatican.

But, I think that you will still have to cab to the Vatican, even for your 11:15 tour.

I don't think that you will save money

Jan 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM

How about having one person go to the hotel by cab with luggage? Have the other two people go to the Vatican directly by public transport. It's true one person would miss the tour, but at least two would make it, if the airplane isn't late.
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM

If you are short of time, why not leave luggage in the left luggage office at the airport or Roma Termini, then pick it up and take it to the hotel after doing the Vatican? That way, you'll be free to get to the Vatican by whichever way seems easiest and quickest.
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Have you allowed enough time for getting through the immigration/customs/baggage areas at the Rome airport? That alone would make me nervous about the schedule. (But then our first day abroad is usually lost to jetlag or illness among one or more of us anyway.) Buona Fortuna!
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Try www.airportshuttle.it - they will pick you up, probably in a van, at your terminal. Then they will take you to your hotel. If you call them or make prior arrangements, they may be able to take you to your hotel to drop off your bags & then take you to the Vatican. The trip from the airport to your hotel would be about eu 45.00 & then probably extra to get to the Vatican. I think this would be the quickest way.
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

dbaks - I assume that the 45E figure is per person. Please confirm.

GeoffHamer - your idea sounds the simplest, and probably the most practical. Do you have any idea the cost of storing 3 larger pull bags (basically the size of smaller hockey or duffel bags (sorry, I'm Canadian) for the day?
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM

IMHO you are making a lot of assumptions about the time it will take to get your luggage, clear customs and get into Rome. I know because we did this last summer and I would think that the airport will be quite full with arriving passengers on a Saturday morning. And that also assumes that your flight leaves and arrives on time.
I personally would not have such timing, but if you insist, then I think the best solution is the one above, taking a car service (we like limoservicerome, 45 E for 3 people) to your hotel, dropping the luggage (your room will not be ready)and then having the same car service deliver you to the Vatican. That may cost extra but I'm sure they can accomodate you.
Good luck.
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:03 AM

You can look up the rates yourself at

www.airportshuttle.it

It's 37 Euro for the first person, 6 Euro for each additional person from Fiumicino to central Rome; i.e., for three people a total of 49 Euro.

Or, for three persons, you can get a private car for 45 Euro from

www.limoservicerome.com

But I frankly doubt that either of them would be prepared to take you to your hotel, wait while you leave your luggage, and then take you to the Vatican Museums. Or, limoservicerome might, for an hourly rate of 31 Euro.

If you use the private car, I don't think you have to store your luggage. Storing your luggage, I have read, is an extremely time-consuming process; they have to search the luggage before they accept it for storage.
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Here's an idea. Change your hotel. If you stay at the Alimandi, they will pick you up at the airport for free. They have a shuttle service that picks up passengers at 9:00, 11:00, and 1:00. Hours may change a bit. The reason I suggest this is that the Alimandi is less than 100 yards from the entrance to the Vatican museum. Besides, it's a friendly hotel at a reasonable price (about 150 Euros for a double). Ideal location for the Vatican, and you won't have to worry about your bags. They'll watch them for you. Last time we stayed there we were even able to get into our room around 11:00 A.M., although I wouldn't count on that.
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Leaving luggage at an Italian railway station is not "extremely time-consuming" as the bags are not searched, though the staff may take a photocopy of your passport. The cost for a day is only a few euros.
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM

I didn't leave my luggage at Termini platform 24, but I researched it just over a year ago and found reports that it takes up to an hour to deposit the luggage and an hour to get it back.
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Thank you, WillTravel. I found a trip report on SlowTrav in which someone was told by his limousine driver that it may take TWO hours to get to the front of the line at the luggage check at Termini.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find the reference to the luggage being searched. It may have been with reference to luggage left at the luggage check at Fiumicino.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO