Rome Airport Hotel or Stay in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling in March to Florence to see daughter studying there. All set with plans but have two final puzzles:
1- When we get to Fumicino Airport, can we get our tickets to Florence or is the train to Termini just a shuttle? Can we get tickets straight to Florence at the airport?
2- Our last day will be Sat when we stop in Orvieto and then to Rome for the night. Next morning we have to be at airport at 8am, Is there a hotel at airport you'd recommend or should we stay by the Termini? Thanks!!
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:48 PM

I cannot help you with your first question. But there are 2 ways you can handle the second question: If you choose to stay at the airport the night before your flight, the Rome Airport Hilton is attached to the airport and in the morning it is just a short walk over to the terminal from the hotel. The Hilton had a special rate that included an early breakfast for those who must get to the terminal very early. You can ask if they still have this rate.

OR you could stay in Rome, enjoy an evening walk, and a dinner in Rome. However, I wouldn't recommend staying near Termini...not the best neighborhood to enjoy Rome. You could choose a Rome hotel in a good location for the night and then hire a private car service to take you to the airport in the morning. As I recall, this could be between 40 - 55 Euros.. depending on the car service. OR if you still want to go to the airport by train, just take a taxi to Termini from your hotel.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:49 PM

It depends on if you want to spend your last night in Rome or not. If you stay at the train station you will have a way to go to get to certain piazzas, etc. so it might not be worth it.

You can stay at the Hilton and be ready to just walk across the path to the airport in the morning.

If you want to spend your last night in the city do so, but if it is too late in the afternoon and it gets dark early in March so you may want to just go on over to the Hilton.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I checked on the Hilton and that sounds like the best idea. I also read that a taxi ride from there to the town of Fumicino is possible for dinner. That's more appealing than spending my last night in Italy eating at a Hilton.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:21 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Alamandi near the Vatican Museums for our last night. They have complimentry shuttle service to the airport. It was a lovely place and had a wonderful full breakfast as well.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 10:09 PM

You can also spend the night at the airport Hilton and take the train from FCO back into town for dinner, just catch a cab at Termini to a restaurant and then back after dinner, but check the train running times, I am not sure what time the last one back to FCO leaves.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 04:05 AM

The Hilton also has a free shuttle service to Rome for hotel guests. I think it is about a 45 minute ride in each direction...if you decide you want to spend the evening in Rome.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 04:14 AM
ira

Hi byron

You can buy your tickets to Florence at the train station at FCO when you buy your tickets into Rome.

You can also buy your return tickets as well.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Parc Medici. 110E/nite w/bkfst. They have a shuttle to/from the airport as well as to/from downtown.