Rome Airport Hotel?

May 17th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Shanna

Rome Airport Hotel?

Family of 4 going to Rome in Aug. We have an early departure flight on the way home and it would be easier if we stayed at the airport on our last night. What hotels or accomadations are at the airport and does anyone have suggestions or contact information.

May 17th, 2001, 06:34 PM
richard j vicek

ood evening, Shanna there is a Hyatt
(may be wrong with name) located within
Fumicinio. would search ito
www.italyhotels.it/
www.venere.it/
www.alitalia.it/english/service/scali.htm.
www.itwg.com/airports.htm.
www.travel.it/
Richardof La Grange Park, Il..

May 17th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Ed

Actually a Hilton at the airport. Another 3-4 not too far away. Hilton the best but pricey. See www.twenj.com/romehtlapt.htm for a rundown.

Strong suggestion to stay your last night in the city and enjoy for one more night a fine Roman meal. Trip to the airport takes only a half hour or so in the morning and your hotel will be happy to arrange a cab. Unless you stay at the Hilton you'll have to get up just about as early anyway ... enjoy the city.

May 18th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Shanna

Thanks for the replys. Are the trains running and is it safe to drag a 4 yr old and a 7 yr old around the streets at 4:30 am? We are renting an apartment so there will be no one to arrange for a cab but ourselves.

May 18th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Ed

No trains until 6 or 7, and you'd probably not want to walk to the trains anyway.

I do think arranging a taxi would not be difficult (the person from whom you are renting), but it arguably might be a less reliable arrangement than through a hotel with whom the cab company has an on-going relationship.

If you have to be at the airport at 5am I would check carefully with the airport hotel you choose. The Hilton would present no problem, of course. None of the other hotels have shuttle service as early as 4:30am to my knowledge, so a cab would be required.

While in Rome I'd suggest you not >>drag<< your children around at any time of the time. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

May 19th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Michael

The Hilton is 300 meters from the airport terminal and connected by a covered bridge walkway. Very convenient. But after 14 days of traveling Italy, eating wonderful food, drinking good wine and meeting friendly people who spoke many different languages, the Hilton was rather depressing. Everyone spoke English, the food was mediocre and bland and the prices of everything were high. It was a nice hotel (a very pleasant pool) and a short walk to the airport but it was as if we returned the the States a day early.

May 20th, 2001, 06:29 AM
anon

If you do opt for the Hilton, call the toll-free reservation number and book it that way, not through the internet. By using the phone, you get to explore various affiliations that could reduce the price significantly.

May 20th, 2001, 07:43 AM
elizabeth

We stayed at the Hotel Mach 2 which is less than 2km from
the airport and very reasonably priced. It's a two/three storey (can'tremember) slightly up from a motel type of hotel - lots of business people. We paid about $100USD 2 years ago including breakfast and shuttle to the airport. Their web site is:

www.hotelmach2.it

May 20th, 2001, 08:08 AM
jane

I would opt for the Airport Hilton. Very convenient and eliminates the need for worrying about making your flight, transport, etc. We too had an early flight back to the states last summer and were so glad that we chose to stay at the airport hotel the night before. When we making the plans we were hesitant to give up our last night in Italy to an American airport hotel but in end we were glad that we did because it made things much easier (and we don't even have kids). After many fabulous nights in Italy, it was't that bad as we were in the going home mode. Also, the trains to the airport run someone late and its only about a 1/2 hour train ride so you can easily have an early dinner in Rome, take your last loop around and get to the hotel by 9 or 10.

May 20th, 2001, 08:11 AM
jane

Forgot to answer your question, you can book the Hilton through the Hilton website or through travelocity. I booked through travelocity and think it was around $99 per night. However, it takes to keep checking back on the web as I think the rates went down the closer to the date and their cancellation policies are good so you can cancel and rebook at at a better rate.