Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Accomodation (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-accomodation-136133/)

Joanne Jan 3rd, 2003 04:55 AM

Rome Accomodation

Does anyone have any suggestions for cheap,clean roooms in a central location in Rome over May? My husband and I will be there for three days. Also any must see sights?

elaine Jan 3rd, 2003 05:05 AM

Joanne<BR>If you do a search here on Rome Hotel you will find many previous suggestions, most in the budget range.<BR><BR>As for must-see sights, that depends on your interests. If you go elsewhere here at fodors.com and click on the Rome destination info, you will find an overview of the most popular sights. I'd also suggest you invest in at least one general guidebook for Rome. Fodors is excellent; the Michelin green will give you much more historical information; Rick Steves will give you just a little cultural information but more suggestions for cheap places to stay and to eat; Gustafson's &quot;Great Sleeps in Italy&quot; and &quot;Great Eats in Italy&quot; are very reliable and have a great range of suggestions, and there are many other books of course. Rome is a challenging place to visit; it helps to be prepared.<BR><BR>I have a long file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Donna Jan 3rd, 2003 05:12 AM

We liked the Hotel Accademia--clean, English-speaking front desk, nice breakfast AND the location is within 50 steps of the Trevi Fountain.

Recently Jan 3rd, 2003 06:06 AM

I was in Rome for the first time recently and I have to say that my favorite sites were St. Peter's and the Pantheon. If you so to the Vatican museums go very early. The same goes for the gallerie borghese (definately worth a visit) book the 9am entry time if you can. I thought the Crypt of the Cappucian monks was amazing (creepy but amazing). There's a great shoe store in the Jewish ghetto called Leo Calvalture (spelling?) where all the shoes are 15?, also worth a visit. Fodors online city guide to rome has a ton of info and is a good starting place. Have Fun!

Jim Jan 3rd, 2003 07:09 AM

Wife and I stayed in a wonderful convent in cetral Rome just off the Via Nazionale, just minutes to the Coloseum and the Forum. Cost was around $47 USD, breakfast included, although we did not partake. Exceptionally clean and safe. E-mail me if you want furher details. <BR><BR>There are a number of sources of info about convents in Italy, including two books, although &quot;Bed and Blessings Italy&quot; is probably more accurate. Lots of info here as well as generaly web searches.

Roger The Wanderer Jan 3rd, 2003 07:38 AM

Hotel Rex on via Torino. Great place, not cheap but worth the money

nicki Jan 3rd, 2003 08:53 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Siena near the Spanish steps, close to everything. Very nice room, with a marble bathroom and jacuzzi bathtub. We paid 160 euros in hight season. Breakfast included.