Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome, a baby & a mother-in-law (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-a-baby-and-a-mother-in-law-100631/)

Liz Jan 15th, 2001 04:47 PM

Rome, a baby & a mother-in-law

My husband and I are planning on going to Rome/Florence/Venice in early March with a (gasp) one year old and my Italian-speaking 70 something mother in law. A few questions. Is early March good weather-wise? What sort of accomodation is best for groups-with-babies (i.e. hotel suite, apartment rental, ??)? How many provisions should I plan on taking re food, car seats, diapers? Are we crazy? <BR>Thanks. <BR>Liz

nancy Jan 16th, 2001 05:08 AM

Liz, <BR>you maybe opening a "can of worms" so to speak, with the mention of your baby... <BR>I think a car seat would definitely be a good idea, <BR>I never flew with my children when they were babies, but you could/would use a car seat for your child to sit in on the plane, yes?Then you would not worry if you were unable to find one at a rental agency. <BR>Try a text search here also for traveling with babies. <BR>there is some good advice mixed in with all the opinions . <BR> <BR>I am just topping this , in hope you get some valid responses. <BR>goodluck, have fun

Jeff Jan 16th, 2001 05:42 AM

Good luck Liz! Nancy was right on about the car seat and the search (although the Fodors' search function does not always work well.) I posted a related question a while back and rec'd some great responses. Hope you can find it. Assuming you are flying from the US, I would recommend getting a separate seat for your child (it is too long of a flight to have a child on your lap, particularly as you try to sleep. You will then need an approved carseat. I believe it is mandatory. Check w/ your air carrier. <BR>

beth Jan 16th, 2001 06:09 AM

Liz - There was a great post day before yesterday something about traveling with an infant in london which gave some great general advice and got about 20 responses so you should check it out. <BR> <BR>My advice - don't try to change hotels, stay in one location it's easier for the baby to get used to things. Not only bring a car seat, but I would bring a stroller too, you'll get tired of carrying the baby all day! You should be able to buy diapers in rome though they may not be the same kind; however, I doubt the sdame brand of baby formula and baby food is available so i would bring all you need. Changing the baby's diet suddenly can cause an upset tummy and a fussy baby! Watch out when eating out too, those restaurants and cafes in rome can be very smokey which is definitely bad for baby!

Tommy T Jan 16th, 2001 11:15 AM

We traveled to Italy last April with our then 10 month old daughter and had a great time. The weather was decent, cool temps & a just a little bit of rain. We, however, only went to Venice & Florence and we did not have my mother-in-law along with us. Hopefully our experience will provide you with some helpful advice. <BR> <BR>We stayed in hotels in both cities. Each place provided a crib at no additional charge so that worked out fine for us. With regards to diapers & wipes we brought along a three day supply and after that had no problem finding those items in the local markets. We also did not have any problem finding jars of baby food. I must add that my wife was also nursing which made things easier. <BR> <BR>On the flight we did not use a carseat. We held her on our laps and we all did just fine. If you're not renting a car I don't see a need for one. (Unless you feel strongly that you should have one for flight safety.) <BR> <BR>Our next trip is also in early March. This time to Norway and this time we are bringing our daughter, my mother in law, and her 85 yr old cousin! So if you're crazy you're certainly not alone. Good luck to the both of us!! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Jerry Jan 16th, 2001 02:23 PM

"Rome, a baby & a mother-in-law" <BR> <BR>Isn't that the name of a new sitcom on ABC? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Creative Genius Jan 16th, 2001 02:26 PM

No, the working title is "Rome, A Baby & My Mother-in-Law's Pizza." It's gonna be big! (The show, not the mother-in-law).

lynn Jan 21st, 2001 01:09 PM

Hi Liz- We are traveling to Italy with <BR>extended family inc. three one yr olds, <BR>and 5 other kids ages 7 to 11!!! <BR>We found out that most resteraunts don't have highchairs we are looking for the smallest travel one just to have, also a good umbrella stroller that reclines. We are renting a villa in Tuscany so we will be getting a car,which means bringing a car seat. We are also looking for suggestions to make our trip easier. The older kids have traveled alot before but adding the new little ones seems to be a little more challenging!!

wendy Jan 22nd, 2001 05:42 PM

Dear Liz~ <BR> <BR>I am so glad that you have a sense of humor (as do other responses) because I laughed outloud at your title! It sounds like a great book title: Rome, a baby and a mother-in-law! <BR>Seriously, You are NOT crazy and travel these days is SO much easier than it used to be with children. Hotels, car rental agencies and restaurants are very sensitive to these travelers- March can be wet and chilly, food is available everywhere, and I WOULD bring diapers, but your mother in law speaks Italian, so you should be fine!