Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-245577/)

Donna Aug 3rd, 2002 01:41 AM

Rome

I am planning my first trip to Rome, any helpful tips ?

MJ Aug 3rd, 2002 02:30 AM

Really it would be better to do some reading first. Here's a good place to start:<BR>www.twenj.NET<BR><BR>You will get lots of help here with more specific questions when you've done a little research.

up Aug 3rd, 2002 12:28 PM

up, for Donna<BR>

MA Aug 3rd, 2002 03:13 PM

Donna-<BR><BR>I would definitely try not to overdo it in Rome. It is a fantastic city (please keep in mind that it IS a city and consequently busy and noisy--many first-timers seem to be surprised by this!), so approach it in sections. For example, you can easily separate the city into categories such as (1) The Vatican and St. Peter's, (2) Ancient Ruins, (3) Churches near major basilicas, (4) Piazza Navona and surroundings, etc. Your research will help you with this.<BR><BR>Mainly, however, try to actually make time to do nothing. If you are the planning type, and like to stick to itineraries, maybe you can block off some time in your itinerary for, well, doing nothing but strolling in the evening or talking with your travel companion in a piazza. I think too many people feel that they must rush around in Rome, and this can force visitors to think that the city is impossible to get a grasp of. Also, I would try not to "out-museum" or "out-church" yourself, depending on your interests. Depending on where you'll be at what time of day, try mixing a museum or palazzo tour with a nearby church or two, followed by a stroll and an outdoor coffee break, so that you do not get too much of one thing.<BR><BR>Finally, if you will be spending more than about five days in Rome, try exploring sights that are not always found on a "Top 20 Sites in Rome" list. Again depending on your interest, there are many smaller churches and streets that might be just as interesting as the so-called "major" sights. Again, research will help.<BR><BR>Hope this general information is somewhat helfpul. It's basic, but I find that too many people consider a trip to Rome as a "race!"<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>M

M Aug 3rd, 2002 03:13 PM

Donna-<BR><BR>I would definitely try not to overdo it in Rome. It is a fantastic city (please keep in mind that it IS a city and consequently busy and noisy--many first-timers seem to be surprised by this!), so approach it in sections. For example, you can easily separate the city into categories such as (1) The Vatican and St. Peter's, (2) Ancient Ruins, (3) Churches near major basilicas, (4) Piazza Navona and surroundings, etc. Your research will help you with this.<BR><BR>Mainly, however, try to actually make time to do nothing. If you are the planning type, and like to stick to itineraries, maybe you can block off some time in your itinerary for, well, doing nothing but strolling in the evening or talking with your travel companion in a piazza. I think too many people feel that they must rush around in Rome, and this can force visitors to think that the city is impossible to get a grasp of. Also, I would try not to "out-museum" or "out-church" yourself, depending on your interests. Depending on where you'll be at what time of day, try mixing a museum or palazzo tour with a nearby church or two, followed by a stroll and an outdoor coffee break, so that you do not get too much of one thing.<BR><BR>Finally, if you will be spending more than about five days in Rome, try exploring sights that are not always found on a "Top 20 Sites in Rome" list. Again depending on your interest, there are many smaller churches and streets that might be just as interesting as the so-called "major" sights. Again, research will help.<BR><BR>Hope this general information is somewhat helfpul. It's basic, but I find that too many people consider a trip to Rome as a "race!"<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>M

xx Aug 3rd, 2002 03:22 PM

Donna, I am sure you can find a lot of info. I just wanted to add a little:<BR>1. The restaurants around Piazza Novana suck, and very expensive.<BR>2. Do NOT order pizza.