Romantic wedding ceremony/Honeymoon

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romantic wedding ceremony/Honeymoon

Need advice: My fiance (36) and I (39) would like to go somewhere romantic, marry somewhere outside overlooking a huge body of water - then honeymoon.

I've been to Italy several times but never visited - Ravello, Capri or Lake Como.

My question is which do you think I should choose that meet that criteria? As far as a date, we are open but thinking end of June beginning of July (hotel suggestions would also be appreciated.)
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Wherever you choose to get married, make sure you understand what's required, as far as paperwork, in that particular country. Find this out WELL IN ADVANCE, as some countries require statements from embassies, extra paperwork if you've been married before and divorced, etc.

As an example, there have been many threads on Fodors about getting married in Italy. Look some of them up, and you will see that a lot of people hire wedding planners to make sure everything is taken care of, including the required marriage paperwork.

Good luck!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. I know that getting married is a long drawn out process and will probably got to a JP here for the formality. I have 2 cousins who are priests in Italy so I thought I could just have them do a ceremoney for us.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM

I got married in Ravello last March. I live in Santa Barbara California - I suffered through the grueling paperwork process - but.....I wouldn't trade that wedding day for anythning! The Amalfi area is wonderful. Ravello does overlook the sea. We stayed at the Pallazo Sasso Hotel in Ravello. We stayed mostly in Sorrento and visited Capri. Capri was a bit crowded. If you go - you'll have to visit the "grotto". Enjoy.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 03:28 PM

I can highly recommend wedding planner Ben Singleton from italyweddings.com. He handles ALL the paperwork for you, you don't have to do a thing.

We are being married in Florence in Sept using his service. Best of luck, and congrats!!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Here is the latest update...
I have now decided that we will be married by our mayor on Saturday, August 14th, 2004, have a wonderful celebration that evening for 150 people and then jet off to Italy for our vacation/honeymoon.

I could really use your help in identifying where/how to spend our honeymoon/vaction.

Our time-frame is from August 15th for 8-10 days. I'm tossing around finding a spot in Tuscany to just toil around and enjoy the lifestyle or doing a train trip to the Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre.

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:35 AM

Ciao gemjab,

For a romantic setting I would choose Ravello with perhaps some time spent on Capri (both places take on a different character when the day trippers have departed)
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Walkalmalfi,
Thank you for your reply. Do you have a hotel or villa suggestion for us in Ravello?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:27 AM
ira

Hi gem,

How much are you budgeting for hotels?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Hello Ira -

It's our honeymoon so not more than 350 Euro preferably. I am very good at getting great rates at great hotels in the states. $400 rooms for $119-149 and sometimes free upgrades to suites. It's a hobby I have!

Also, would August be a shoulder season along the coast or is that just wishful thinking?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:33 AM
ira

Hi gem,

I think the shoulder season starts around the end of Sept on the Amalfi Coast.

8-10 days in Naples and the AC would be quite nice.

Fly in and out of Naples.

1 night Naples, 2 nights Capri, 4 nights on the AC, 1 day and a night in Naples before flying home.

Sorrento and Positano have the bigger hotels. Ravello has some resort hotels, Villa Cimbrone and Villa San Michele.

We liked our stay at the Le Sirene in Praiano, but I'm not sure that you would want it for a honeymoon.
see www.lesirene.com

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:43 AM

Ciao gemjab,

I can recommend the Villa Maria at WWW.villamaria.it which is a reasonably priced,well situated hotel.