Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Romantic Restaraunts in Rome and Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/romantic-restaraunts-in-rome-and-florence-320244/)

dthntny May 23rd, 2003 06:50 PM

Romantic Restaraunts in Rome and Florence

First off I want to say thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. The info is extremely valuable. I will be in Rome and Florence for a few days in August as part of my honeymoon. I am looking for some advice on some nice/romantic restaurants. The atmosphere is the most important thing. More elegant and romantic then small local places. Also, I am assuming that some of these places (the more expensive ones) need reservations. Any info on the best way to do that would be appreciated. Can this be done through a good hotel concierge when I get to Paris or is it better to make them well in advance? I am open to most cuisine, but my fiancée is picky, so I am looking for places that serve some "American" cuisine as well (beef, chicken, etc.). We will be staying at the Westin Excelsior in Florence for 3 nights (24th -26th) and 5 nights in Rome at the St. Regis Grand (27th - 31st). If anyone has any reviews on the restaraunts at these hotels I would be interested to hear your opinion on these as well. I know many good places are closed for part or all of August. Unfortunately this is the only time we can go. Thanks you all for your help.

dthntny May 23rd, 2003 06:54 PM

Sorry for the mistake. This should say can this be done when I get to Rome and Florence, not Paris. I will also be in Paris earlier so I posted a question for there as well. I forgot to change the city when I copy/pasted this.

Steve1 May 24th, 2003 02:58 AM

In Florence, Buca Mario is about 5 min walk from Westin Excelsior (good hotel choice by the way). It's an Italian steakhouse (should be close to "American") in the basement and I had the best steak I've had in my life. Your concierge at the Excelsior can make the reservation for you.

If you need even more American cuisine, there are plenty of McDonald's in Florence and Rome, and some even have great views of the historic sites!!

ira May 24th, 2003 08:23 AM

Hi
Enoteca Pinchiorri at 87 Via Ghibellina is Florence?s only Michelin starred (2*) restaurant.

It is definitely elegant.

Cicerone May 24th, 2003 08:31 AM

When I was in Rome in September, we found once or twice that restaurants we wanted to eat in were booked for that night. IMO, it is good to try to make a reservation at least one day in advance, more if you don't mind arranging your schedule around your dinner plans. Your hotel in each city can make reservations for you. If you want to do some of them ahead of time, fax or e-mail them a list of your preferred restaurants and dates.

In Rome, our hotel recommended the Mirabelle Restaurant in the Hotel Splendide Royal, Via Di Porta Pinciana 14, just off the Via Veneto. It is on the roof and has a beautiful view over the rooftops of the Via Veneto, the Borghese Gardens and the dome of St. Peters. We had very good food and service. Once you get past the glitz of the Versace-inspired lobby it is a wonderful experience. I would specially recommend a table on their large terrace to watch the sun set and the lights come up. This is somewhat dressy, the waiters wear cutaway coats. On the moderate to expensive side.

Grinisa May 24th, 2003 03:48 PM

The restaurant at the St. Regis Grand is called Vivere and is excellent. Howver, it is dark and has no view and although the food and service is wonderful, I think you would miss out on so many fine Roman dining experiences if you eat in the hotel. Elegant places I would choose for a honeymoon dinner: Il Convivio, Agata e Romeo, Checchino dal 1887 (but very traditional Roman cuisine)Alberto Chiarla, La Rosetta and Vecchia Roma.

elaine May 25th, 2003 06:33 AM

I've posted here ad nauseum about La Tartaruga in Rome, not far from Campo di Fiori or Piazza Navona.
It's a family-run little place, simple modern decor, great wines even by the glass, and excellent food.The family loves their customers.
I found out about it right here.
Do a search right here, or take a look at the raves under Rome Restaurant comments elsewhere here at fodors.com

Cicerone May 25th, 2003 06:56 AM

I also love Tartuga, I just don't think it quite fits the romantic category. There is no outdoor seating area, and the restaurant has no view. However, the food is wonderful and the family who run the place are so pleasant and helpful. It is the kind of place that if you wanted something different that is not on the menu, they would cook it for you.

elaine May 25th, 2003 07:24 AM

Hi
Just as in everything else, we each have our own ideas, in this case about what is romantic.
For me, a very small place, with great food and wine, simple but charming decor with not-over bright lighting or much noise, and with caring service, meets the bill.
But to each her own.

rex May 25th, 2003 07:35 AM

I think we think alike, Elaine. And Vivere DOES fit that bill.

Villa San Michele (in Fiesole) is an excellent choice for a great dinner out in Florence. Unlike Vivere where you see only the resturants own interior decor, VSM offers you that incredible terrace view of Florence at dusk (or night, depending on the hour, and what month you are there).

Best wishes,

Rex