Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Romantic Restaraunts in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/romantic-restaraunts-in-paris-320127/)

dthntny May 23rd, 2003 11:37 AM

Romantic Restaraunts in Paris

First off I want to say thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. The info is extremely valuable. I will be in Paris for a few days in August as part of my honeymoon. I am looking for some advice on some nice/romantic restaurants. The atmosphere is the most important thing. More elegant and romantic then small local places. Also, I am assuming that some of these places (the more expensive ones) need reservations. Any info on the best way to do that would be appreciated. Can this be done through a good hotel concierge when I get to Paris or is it better to make them well in advance? I am open to most cuisine, but my fiancée is picky, so I am looking for places that serve some "American" cuisine as well (beef, chicken, etc.). We will be staying at the Hotel Rafael, which I believe is in the 16th near the Arc de Triumph. Thanks you all for your help.

mclaurie May 23rd, 2003 12:57 PM

The bad news-many of the better restaurants in Paris close for all or part of August for vacation.

The good news- the Hotel Raphael is FABULOUS with an excellent concierge/front desk. Fax them NOW for suggestions on restaurants that will be open. Post your results here for input & let the concierge book it for you. Good luck. You'll have a wonderful time. (PS If you or your fiance care about bath vs shower, let the hotel know now. I only had a bath with a handheld telephone type shower spray that couldn't be hung on the wall but others in my party had a hook on the wall for taking a shower :)

fluffy May 23rd, 2003 01:26 PM

Hi I'm not sure if these places will be open in Aug. have your hotel give them a try: le Violn d' Ingres in the 7th- one of my favorite restaurnts in Paris reviewed on bothe Fodors & Frommers ph# 0145551505 &
Pierre Gagnaire in the 8th fax# 0144351837 ph# 0144351825
I also suggest you go to www.paticiawells.com I've never gone wrong with any of her suggestions just click Paris at the top of her home page, her book rules!
Many congrats
Fluffy

Christina May 23rd, 2003 02:05 PM

Any good hotel with a concierge, and even those with only desk clerks, should be willing to make dinner reservations before you get there, if you give them the details. For places you especially want (top spots, etc), you should do that as soon as you've figured it out, if you can.

Just wanted to say that chicken is one of the most French dishes you can find, it isn't just American. Poulet roti (roast chicken) and frites is one of the most common things on cafe and bistro menus, as well as some other chicken type dishes. Beef is also very common in French cuisine, actually. I know some disagree, but I have good steaks in Paris as I don't order the entrecote special, I order a faux filet, even if not on the menu (a better cut). I love steak au poivre, for example. So if your fiance will only eat chicken and beef, there should be no problems.

gailscout May 23rd, 2003 03:16 PM

We enjoyed Le Ciel de Paris in the Montparnasse. It is on the 56th floor and overlooks Paris and the Eiffel Tower. They are open every day. The food and service are very good. You can e-mail [email protected]

RonZ May 23rd, 2003 09:29 PM

Try and ignore the saying "Escargots: it's what's for dinner"

oakglen May 24th, 2003 10:00 AM

My wife says Lasserre, a Michelin two star in the 8th, and a leisurely downhill walk from your hotel, is her favorite restaurant in Paris. The tables are widely spaced, service attentive and the food excellent, as you would expect. And when they roll the roof back on a starlit night, it can be breathtaking. If you go for lunch they have a reasonable prix-fixe menu for under 60e. JP

Ronda May 24th, 2003 08:42 PM

My husband took me to the restaurant at the top on the Pompidou Center for my birthday last September. The view of the city is lovely, the atmosphere very modern and hip, the service was great, and the food was excellent. Smoking was a problem. Asked for a nonsmoking table and was put in the farthest table at the end of the restaurant. I believe the name is George's. Very expensive but I loved it.

Angelablom May 25th, 2003 06:02 AM

If you've don't mind the price, the Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower is one of the best dining experiences we've had. You MUST call and make reservations MONTHS in advance; I think we called 2 months ahead and could only get in for lunch.

Another very nice romantic place is La Totem on the Trocedero (it's in a museum called something like the Museum of Natural Man ?) We ate there both times we went to Paris. They have a lovely balcony which overlooks the Eiffel Tower.

We also ate at La Plage which is at the Port de Javal-Haute. It is right on the Seine river by the Statue of Liberty. The entire wall next to the river is pushed back so it's like sitting outside.

Hope you have a great time.

cigalechanta May 25th, 2003 06:14 AM

Le Beauvilliers on a quiet street in Montmartre. It closed in previous years the second half of August. Very intimate, fresh flowers and fine china, dimmed lights or sit on the leafy terrace.