Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Romantic-Pension Albrecht (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/romantic-pension-albrecht-171131/)

veggie25 Jan 2nd, 2006 03:43 PM

Romantic-Pension Albrecht

My husband and I are planning a trip to Germany in July 06 and want to tour the Neuschwanstein Castle. We will be staying 1 night in that area and are thinking of staying at the Romantic-Pension Albrecht. Does anyone out there know anything about this place? Or can anyone suggest any better places to stay in the vicinity of the castle? Thanks for your input.

RufusTFirefly Jan 2nd, 2006 06:54 PM

We stayed at RPA on our trip to Germany 2 years ago--oops, now 3 years ago. It was very nice.

Our room was spacious and the private bath was completely up-to-date. The breakfast was very good and parking free. Within easy walking distance of the castle ticket office and trailheads.

veggie25 Jan 3rd, 2006 02:35 AM

Thank you so much RufusTFirefly for the
review. It sounds like we should go with our plans to stay there.

twohorse Apr 5th, 2006 07:17 AM

I would avoid this place at all costs. We reserved the Ludwig suite 3 months in advance, exchanged 4 emails and I sent them a post card to remind them that we were coming and looking forward to the visit. We get there and the lady asks me for a confirmation number. I showed her the emails we exchanged and never gave me a number to confirm the room... plus I reminded her that I asked about giving my credit card information to lock the room for our stay and they told me "that isn't necessary. We have your room reserved and we'll see you when you get here." She said "No Number? NO ROOM!" and slammed the door.

So, we gathered up our luggage (feeling quite sheepish) and drove to the Hotel Muller. they had room and I cant wait to go back. The staff was great, the rooms were fairy tale, the price was a little more, but soooo much more to offer!

Veggie.. do yourself a favor, stay away from this run-down little dump of rudeness!

tcreath Apr 5th, 2006 07:22 AM

DH and I stayed there last May and really enjoyed it, especially for the price. We had a nice, large room with a private bath and a balcony that came with a great view of Neuschwanstein. It was in an excellent location, right down the street from the ticket office for the castles. The breakfast was good and we thought the owner was very nice. We would definitely stay again.

Tracy

twohorse Apr 5th, 2006 07:30 AM

This came from another post before we left.. I should have used it as a warning sign.

This September we and our friends traveled in Bavaria and stayed one night in "Romantic Pension Albrecht" in Schwangau - we wanted to see famous castles.
Pros:The location of pension is excellent - literally 5 mins walk to Castles' ticket office, very quiet at night, but I wouldn't stay there another time.
Cons: Our rooms were on the last floor and there no elevator (we had some luggage). The landlady didn't stop even for the second - to answer any questions we had - she was looking very busy and one feels uncomfortable to catch her and ask something - she just opened rooms for us and run downstairs. The sheets didn't look fresh to me, but I discovered it very late in the evening when she already slept (we went for dining to Fussen which is 3 miles away) - so I had to sleep in clothes. Pillows were extremely flat. Breakfast was the worst we had travelling 2 weeks in Germany - each of us got 2 paper thin slices of Bologna and 2 paper thin slices of cheese. Also our table for 4 had small basket with stale rolls and 4 small (1inch by 1 inch) pieces of butter. When we asked for yougurt - we got one; after that she asked if we also want orange juice or eggs. One of our party expressed interest to have an egg, but never received it. Another one who wanted orange juice - got a portion in a glass in about 4 oz, but couldn't drink it because of quality.
To me - it is overpriced (we paid 67e for double) for what we had - I'd rather stay in hotel which is not so "romantic" and doesn't have a castle view from tiny balcony (which we came to see anyway), but would have clean and comfortable bed and decent breakfast

tcreath Apr 5th, 2006 08:00 AM

Everyone has their own experiences, but ours was nothing similar to the one listed above. I guess I didn't expect too much because this isn't a hotel and shouldn't be thought of one. Its more of B&B ran out of someone's home. Of course there wouldn't be an elevator. I've stayed in a hotel on the fifth floor of a building in Rome that didn't have an elevator...not that was a problem. The breakfast was good and we had pastries and bread along with meats and cheeses.

RufusTFirefly Apr 5th, 2006 07:00 PM

twohorse--really sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. Ours was just the opposite, but it was 4 years ago now. It's a real shame if the place has become a "run down little dump" in such a short amount of time.

Patricia Apr 5th, 2006 07:26 PM

We stayed here in 2004 and although I wouldn't go so far as to say its 'a run down little dump' we did find it to be pretty basic and in need of some refurbishment, also the landlady seemed to be very stressed.
We would not stay here again, however to be fair, the location is brilliant.

RufusTFirefly Apr 6th, 2006 02:42 PM

Patricia--She was somewhat nervous when we were there, but the place was still very nice at that time. I wonder if she's having emotional or physical health problems. That would explain a lot.

Patricia Apr 6th, 2006 03:26 PM

Rufus, I just think it was all getting too much for her and she needed some help in running the place. When we arrived it took an age to get an answer to the door and she looked bewildered when we said we had a reservation. Also our TV didn't work, we didn't make a big deal about it but she got really uptight and asked some other guests if they could fix it for us, without success I might add!!!!!!!!!

L84SKY Apr 6th, 2006 03:44 PM

twohorse,
I love the Hotel Muller! We were just in the area in March and after visiting the castles stopped at the hotel for a little afternoon snack. Before dinner we went for a little walk, (as though we didn't get enough of one trudging up that hill.) and went to the hotel for dinner.
It was off season and we ere too late for dinner, they were just closing. The manager must have seen the disappointment on our little hungry faces and said, "well, if you'd just like something light." We assured him that a cup of soup leftover in the kitchen would be perfect. He brought us the best soup we'd had in Germany and we'd had some great ones and a great ham sandwich. If this is what they can do with soup and a ham sandwich (not to mention the Black Forest Cake earlier was excellent), I can’t wait to see what they would do for a real dinner. I bet the food was great.
The restaurant was beautiful and the hotel itself must have been a real pleasure to stay at, the rooms looked great. We were already settled in our little guest house but the next time...
And there will be a next time. I love Germany.

L84SKY Apr 6th, 2006 03:54 PM

I meant to say in previous post.

If this is the way the Hotel Muller treats a wanderer off the street imagine how they treat their guests.

RufusTFirefly Apr 6th, 2006 04:57 PM

Unfortunately, it's not some faceless "they." The owner is obviously having some difficulty--makes me feel very badly for her (and for those who try to deal with her as well).

Very sad. She was such a sweet lady when we were there--as I said, she seemed shy and nervous, but she was very nice.