Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Romantic Parisian Restaurant for my Birthday (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/romantic-parisian-restaurant-for-my-birthday-66805/)

Beth Mar 28th, 2000 12:27 PM

Romantic Parisian Restaurant for my Birthday

Hi! I'm going to Paris in May with my boyfriend. Our last night there also happens to be my birthday. We'd like to go to a romantic restaurant and really splurge. Can anyone suggest a restaurant that's romantic and costs between $75 and $100 per person (this wouldn't include wine, because we're not big drinkers)? I'd personally like a restuarant with great desserts. Thanks in advance for the help!

Vincent Apr 1st, 2000 06:40 AM

I would suggest Le Bascou on rue Reaumur 75003 Paris (sorry, I don't have the data, please check on www.pagesjaunes.fr under "Restaurants") great South West cuisine, nice romantic atmosphere and decor, but "only" $ 50. If you want to go more formal, try Le Grand Vefour (75001), or, more hip and closer to your $100 target, Chez Bon in the XVIth, Paris's latest fahionable restaurant. I'll try to think about more options !

Linda Apr 2nd, 2000 01:23 PM

It's been a few years, but our favorite restaurant "of all time" is A. Beauvilliers in Paris. Filled with wall to wall flowers. Fabulous food. Romantic atmosphere. Just down street from Sacre Couer. 52 Rue Lamarick. Tel: 42.54.54.42. Not sure of price now. Might be worth making a reservation, but stop by a day or so earlier to check out the menu/prices. That way you've got the reservation if you decide to keep it. Happy Birthday!

B. Smith Apr 3rd, 2000 05:47 PM

Dear Beth, <BR>I took my wife to the Jules Verne Restaurant in the Eiffel Tower for her birthday. It was her request and I went along with her request but was not excited. Was I ever wrong. It is a one star Michelin restaurant with its own private elevator in one of the four feet of the tower. The setting is beautiful and it looks over all of Paris. The price is in your range. The food was excellent, desserts should meet your expectations and the hand rolled chocolate truffles were sinful. We even coaxed them into giving us a few to take home. Kept them in the freezer for next years celebration. Hope you have a good birthday in Paris.

Brian in Atlanta Apr 4th, 2000 05:24 AM

Vincent - welcome back! You have been missed.

elaine Apr 4th, 2000 07:48 AM

<BR>I am surprised to hear that B. Smith's dinner at the Jules Verne cost no more than $100 pp; it has been my experience that it is more expensive than that. <BR>Reservations are usually quite difficult to get, so don't wait to book it if you want to go there. <BR>In the same price range as the JV but more classic in food and ambience, is Le Grand Vefour, as Vincent suggested. It is perfect. If you want a view, and can't get into Jules Verne, try Tour d'Argent. At night if you are near a window you will have a gorgeous view of Notre Dame. Food is a notch below the others, but quite good. <BR>For a smaller and less-expensive place, my suggestion would be <BR>Chez Julien, which is tucked behind l'Hotel de Ville. phone 42 78 31 64. Address corner of 1 rue Pont-Louis-Philippe and 62 rue de l'Hotel de Ville. It made a brief appearance in the film "TheAccidental Tourist". It is small, family-owned. <BR>Simple, but very romantic decor with painted ceilings and <BR>lace curtains on the windows. Food is very good, service kind, avg price $50-$75 pp. They don't get too many tourist. I'll bet if your husband mentions it in advance, they might do a special dessert for your birthday.

Lori Apr 4th, 2000 08:04 AM

La Trufferie in the 5th, right off of Rue Mouffetard. Little unassuming place, but once inside it is wonderful. The dining room is set in a cave, supposively and actual cave from olden times. The decor is soft lighting and peach tones. The wine list was fabulous, the wine steward knew his stuff. We had a memorable meal there last November. We found it in either Time Out Paris or Where Paris (can't remember which one), and picked it based on the picture in the magazine. What a serendipitous find.