Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Romantic" London - Suggestions? What can't we miss?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi travelers,

I'll be in London with my wife from March 26 'till April 3. We would like to hear from you some suggestions about romantic places or just lovely spots for a couple to go. We're almost 40's and we enjoy walks, cultural and historical places, cafés, book shops, music concerts, arts and architeture.
ALL suggestions will be really apreciated. It's our first time in London. We've been in Paris last September and your tips were excellent!

By the way, anyone knows how will be the weather at that time?

Thanks in advance,
Francis
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:45 AM

"anyone knows how will be the weather at that time"

No. No-one has the faintest idea. And anyone who says different doesn't know what they're talking about.

London's unpredictable at any time. Except round the Spring equinox, when you can know for certain it might be anywhere between -5 and +20, might rain, snow or be completely dry. And might have dangerous wind or no wind at all.

All on the same day.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM

At first, I though "romantic places" in London - then you should leave London and go a village.

But after a second thought, a few things came into my mind:

- After dark, a stroll through Chelsea or Mayfair might be romantic - along the historical town-houses, with their beautiful facades, and occasionally peeping into an illuminated flat from the sidewalk.

- Afternoon tea in one of those historic hotels will be romantic. This website has some recommendations:
http://golondon.about.com/od/afterno...nTeaLondon.htm

- For dinner, we found Langan's Bistro quite atmospheric. And they have a long wall with photos from celebrities who celebrated there. http://www.langansrestaurants.co.uk/
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:42 AM

I love London but to be quite honest I don't think of it as a 'romantic' city on par, for example, with Paris or Venice, where the buildings, the light, couples cooing over each other, etc. gives you a special feeling. I've never found any of that in London except by total accident. That doesn't mean to say you can't have romance while you are there. That, of course, depends on who you are with. But to set the mood - I don't know maybe a great play with perfect seats, then a quiet dinner somewhere. A lounge with views over the city. A limo drive to somewhere outside of the city for dinner. A super-deluxe suite at Claridges existing only on room service. I'm struggling, because you could do that in a lot of places.

Let us know what you found when you return.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:37 AM

The rose garden in Regent's Park is gorgeous; not romantic in the "we're the only people here" sense, but a great spot for a walk. Just about any of the parks are good for walking, but Regent's is my personal favorite, with the roses and canal. Walk along the South Bank at night - you'll see Big Ben and Parliament, the London Eye and the rest of the riverside lit up. Romance is anywhere you find it.

For music concerts, there are lots of places, but check out St Martin-in-the-Fields. They have great, free lunchtime concerts a few times a week (they do ask for donations, but no tickets needed), and have good concerts in the evenings as well.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:07 AM

A jaunt on the London Eye may be touristy, but the views can't be beat and that's a nice way to kick off your first trip to London.

Since you like cultural and historical places, don't miss the British Museum - try for the morning when it is quieter. That neighborhood is a great area for bookshops and walking around.

I would also recommend a tour of Highgate Cemetery - perhaps an unusual spot for "romance" but it is a fascinating and beautiful place.

Remember, any city is romantic when you're with the right person! Have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM

A stroll across Hungerford Bridge to the Southbank at night is quite romantic as the views, especially to the west, and the evening activity along the Southbank are so nice. Take a ride on the Eye and then a little dinner along the river...
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree, London is not a particularly romantic city but a stroll across the Millennium Bridge (over the Thames) near St Pauls' at dusk is lovely. Also a similar walk over the bridge from Embankment Tube (what is that bridge?) then stroll along the river looking at the buskers, the London Eye, secondhand books stalls, other people and the great views.

Kay
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgot to say, it depends on where you are from but I would describe the weather at that time of year as cold. Could also be windy or rainy but it won't be warm.

Kay
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM

Another idea: Kew Gardens.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM

I agree, Regents park is LOVELY. My husband and I had a very romantic time strolling through the rose garden and then having a picnic lunch. Kew Gardens is also wonderful. We enjoy a nice cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon while the city bustles outside, we feel relaxed, cozy and withdrawn ... very romantic. Also, on weekend afternoons, there are usually some opera singers performing at Covent Gardens. Grab a table and listen to the beautiful music. Also, wonder down as many tiny sidestreets as you can... you'll often be surprised when they lead to a beautiful fountain or church or building.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM

Our first trip to London started with a trip to the cheese shop in Harrod's, and we brought that with some great bread to Hyde Park and had a picnic by the Serpentine.

We also went to a candlelight music performance one evening at the Church of St Martin-in-the-Fields. Very romantic!

We love walking along the Thames in Chelsea in the evening. We have great pictures of us in front of the Albert Bridge that connects Chelsea to Battersea. It's lit up at night and looks brilliant.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:17 PM

If weather isn't too bad, a boat ride down the Thames to Greenwich can also be a nice way to spend part of an afternoon.