Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Romantic Italian New Years Engagement???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice from all of you Italy experts?

I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend of 5 years over New Years this year...we're Americans living in Germany and just love Italy. I'd like to propose somewhere in Italy in a romantic setting. We've spent tons of time in Northern Italy (Sienna and Cinque Terra before all the tourists are some of our favorites), but I'm thinking that Southern Italy is the way to go in the Winter... Any suggestions for places to go that will knock her socks off for a week over the New Years holiday? (Perhaps the Amalfi coast?)

I'd love to find an out of the way inn or apartment with a beautiful view...and be in an area with some culture within walking/train distance. Just for reference, other cities that we've loved in Europe include Vienna, Paris, Brugge and Ghent. We both speak a bit of Italian (she's fluent) and are just obsessed with "our" people.

I'm really trying to make this engagement something that she'll absolutely never forget!! (did I mention that this is a complete surprise?)

Thanks for your hints of wisdom!
Dave
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:32 PM

Wow, what a lucky lady! My husband and I were married in Tuscany last year, so we also have the Italy "bug".

The most magical place I have been in Italy is Ravello, where we went on our honeymoon. For wonderful proposal venues, check out Palazzo Sasso (for dinner, even if you don't stay there) or the gardens at the Villa Rufolo, overlooking the sea.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:34 PM

I don't have any advice but your post is absolutely charming. The fact that you're putting this kind of thought into your proposal guarantees it will be unforgettable! Good luck to you both!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:38 PM

Villa Cimbroni (i think that is how it is spelt). Beautiful place overlooking the Med sea.

Book a night there and dinner.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:02 PM

We were married in Positano this past September....it was so amazing. Have you picked a hotel yet? Once you pick a hotel, have them help you set up something special. We really liked dining at La Sponda - amazing view. Another nice restaurant was at the Hotel Sarceni. Both are very upscale and had great food and service.

I don't know how it would be when you are going, but there is a scenic overlook at the top of the hill above Positano. It is amazing! I have wedding photos that show the view...simply breathtaking. If you want to see photos - email me at [email protected] and I can show them to you online.

One other thing...my husband proposed to me in Italian (even though at the time I did not know what he was saying....). It may be a cute touch.... I think it is "mi espozareste"

Good luck!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:11 PM

If you happen to be in Rome when you have the courage to pop the question, a good place would be atop Castel Sant Angelo near the Vatican and Tiber.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:31 PM

Having gotten engaged this May in Venice and totally suprised, I lean towards this beautiful city. Even though you have been in Northern Italy, the canals and meandering streets are irresistable.

I have been to southern Italy as well, and between the two if you want to make the perfect engagement, Venice wins hands down.

Good luck.

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 04:41 AM
ira

Hi dave,

Lovely idea.

For a week around New Year's I would suggest Venice over the AC.

You could propose on the Rialto as the sun goes down and the lights come on on the Grand Canal.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:17 AM

I also thought of Venice as I read your post. My visit there was for New Years and it was quite atmospheric. Lots of morning fog and mist. A proposal on a gondola wouldn't be bad Lots of info on apts here (do a search for Venice AND apartments) or go to slowtrav.com
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far, guys...I appreciate your energy... I'm thinking though that the south of Italy will be warmer in Dec/Jan and we could really use some warm weather to enjoy our stay/view/experience. Any advice for southern Italy...or perhaps Tuscany is the way to go? (we've done Venice...liked it better without the tourists in the off-season...but I think I'm looking for a smaller town with a personality and some charm. Not sure if there's anything particularly interesting going on over New Years?
Thanks guys!
Dave
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Ravello would be a wonderful choice. However, the problem with the Amalfi Coast in January is that a lot of it is closed down for the season. So, you just might be better off picking a small town in Tuscany or Umbria.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 11:54 AM

In Tuscany, I would suggest the town of Cortona, with dinner at Il Falconiere, a wonderful, special (but expensive) restaurant. YOu could stay at the hotel there. Or a less expensive choice is the Hotel San Michele, in the honeymoon suite in the tower, with views on all four sides.
Both places are recommended in Karen Brown's Italy guide.

http://hotelsanmichele.net/
http://www.ilfalconiere.it
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 01:11 PM
ira

You might also consider the hill town of Orvieto (in Umbria).

You could propose on the funicular upt to the town from the train station.

I Sette Consoli Pzza Sant’Angelo 1A (phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911) is a first class restaurant, with not unreasonable prices.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Soo... I'm leaning a bit more towards Tuscany after hearing that everything will be closed on the Amalfi Coast... I'll start doing research on Cortona...in the meantime, any other ideas for my Tuscany proposal? Any other interesting locations? Thx!
Dave
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:59 PM

Dave

My boyfriend of 6.5 years and I will be travelling to Naples the day after Christmas and staying on the Amalfi Coast for 10 days. I have no proposal planned, but have definitely been researching, especially in light of some of the comments regarding the winter slowdown!

There was a poster last year named Mark Morgan who was planning a New Year's trip to the coast. I emailed him for advice and he was kind enough to write back with photos. He and his family had a wonderful time and the New Year's photo from Positano showed fireworks and plenty of Italians in the streets. They managed to see all Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuivius, etc with no problem. It was very reassuring for me to see and hear and I can't wait for our trip now.

If you are into opera or symphony, you should check out the schedule for the Teatro di San Carlo in Naples. I believe there are a couple concerts scheduled right before New Years.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

cruisinred, ira, mclaurie and KirstenSF-

Thanks for the great advice/resources so far... Because of your great advice, I've tweaked my plans a bit... I found that there's a jazz festival in Orvieto from 29 Dec to 2 Jan.

Here's what my gameplan has morphed into:
28 Dec
Short Flight into Pisa...train to Siena (2hr)...overnight in Siena
29 Dec
Day in Siena…Train to Orvieto (2 hrs)..Jazz Festival in Orvieto...Jazz/Food/Culture/etc…Overnight in Orvieto
30 Dec
More Jazz Festival in Orvieto…Overnight again in Orvieto
31 Dec
Train to Cortona (1 hr)…Day in Cortona…Dinner at Il Falconiere
Proposal !!!
Stay in Honeymoon Suite at Hotel San Michele (if available)
1 Jan
Relax in Cortona or train back to Jazz in Orvieto…Overnight in Hotel San Michele again
2 Jan
Same as previous day
3 Jan
Travel to another interesting Tuscan town (Arezzo??) making way back to Pisa...Stay overnight in that town
4 Jan
Return to Pisa…fly home…

Just a few more questions…
1) How does the itinerary look? Too rushed?
2)Would it be easier for me to just rent a car…it seems some of these cities would be quicker to get to by auto
3)Any other places we should see?
4) Any recommendations for hotels or little villas/apartments near/in orvieto?
5) Any recommendations for other special/romantic ideas for my Cortona proposal (possibly partly in Italian)?

Thanks for your help!!!
Dave
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Dave, tell us, did she say yes???
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM

will top. C'mon we need to know
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

SHE SAID YES!!! (of course)

Sorry it took me so long to reply with the "lowdown" on how it all went... So many changes going on...and my beautiful fiance to distract me from the world... Haven't had a minute to write

Orvieto was magical... Cortona was the absolute perfect place for a proposal...I'm even hesitant to share how amazing Cortona is on this site...as I'm interested in keeping it a little secret between Cortona and those who know her. The hotel room reccomendation by "crusinred" was awesome...top floor of San Michele was amazing to view 360 degrees of beautiful Tuscan sun...or sunset...or terracota roofs...or stars... classy and romantic. Thanks for great input into my planning to all!

I could go on for hours...and will sometime...but I'm off to post again with questions about Copenhagen, where we're running to get married this weekend... (We were so excited about the idea of getting married, we decided not to wait!!)

Dave
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:42 PM

CONGRAUTLATIONS!!!!
Be sure to post about the wedding too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -