romantic hotels in the "big 3" cities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be travelling to Italy in late October for our ten year anniversary. This is a first for both of us and are looking for any recommendations for romantic hotels in central locations. We are flying into Rome for three nights, then onto Florence and Venice.
One more question - we are planning Rome for 3 nights, Florence for 2 nights, then Venice for 3 nights and flying home from Venice. How does that sound in terms of length of stay at each city?
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Congratulations---what a wonderful way to celebrate your anniversary.If you are limited to eight nights (sigh), that is a good way to divide your time.

In Venice, La Calcina is a wonderful and romantic place to stay:
www.lacalcina.com
Book soon; they may already be full.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Can you dine at La Calcina, or is it just for hotel guests?
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
PeggyE- I saw mention here the other day of people eating at La Calcina's restaurant who were not guests of the hotel.

kathvav- Another vote for Pensione La Calcina, especially if you can get a corner front room overlooking the Guidecca canal, it's lovely and a very good price for what you get. Very popular so book asap.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM

You don't give your budget, so it is hard to recommend places. I've never stayed at La Calcina, but I'm not sure it fits everybody's idea of romantic, although it has a legendary past and a wonderful position.

Perhaps if you give your budget and expand a little bit on what constitutes a romantic hotel for you, it would help.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying. I guess you could say we are "splurging" for our anniversary and don't mind spending a greater amount of money if it is really worth it. That's exactly why I posted this - since so many hotels seem so nice when you look online. Are the higher priced hotels really that much better? And, if so, I'd book it. If not, I'd love to save some money for great food and wine knowing that someone who has been there has a better recommendation. Thanks again for your replies.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM

The top price hotels are generally truly luxe and a significant difference - if that's your budget range. However once you get below that the 4* are sometimes not much different than - or even as nice as a charming well-run 3* with a romantic location.

So what is a splure to you? I would go for the Danieli (but I'm a big city person) and a suite overlooking the bacino - but that will set you back at least $900 or so per night.

So - a budget would really help.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:36 PM

In Venice, please consider the Foscari Palace...I can't imagine anything more romantic! It's a 4* (more like 5) with beautiful rooms, views, etc. A few times a week---in the beautiful lobby--- they have an evening "soiree" with chamber music (in Renaissance costume), hors d'ouvres and free champagne (!). It's really delightful. There was a welcome fruit basket in our room and we were given another gift at departure. The breakfast is wonderful, even including bacon and eggs. Last, there's a great roof terrace with a bar.

I hope I haven't "oversold" it. We fell in love with this hotel.

http://foscari.hotelinvenice.com/
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:40 PM

There are actually many more romantic hotels, B and B's in Venice than in the other two cities, I think. I would recommend the Ca' Gottardi-www.cagottardi.com, as one place -wonderful reviews on tripadvisor, and excellent location off the Canal Grande and the Strada Nova-lovely, romantic, fabric-walled rooms, Venetian style, in the heart of Venice, at the Ca'd'Oro vaporetto stop.

I also would recommend the Foscari Palace-again, in Cannaregio, the authentic Venetian heart of the city. I've checked out the hotel's public rooms and personnel-both seemed first-rate-and the rooftop terrace-not generally found in Venice, is a definite plus.

In Rome-you might want to consider the Albergo del Senato, with its incomparable rooftop terrace overlooking the Pantheon, or the Hotel Gladiatori (their deluxe rooms have beautiful rooms overlooking the Colosseum-as does their rooftop terrace).

Remember in Rome, it's about that rooftop terrace-Venice, the canal view room.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:40 AM

In Venice, I highly recommend www.locandaorseolo.com. Outstanding location, service and the rooms are deliciously Venetian.

If money is no object, Cipriani can't be beat either. Hotel Danieli and Gritti Palace are very close seconds.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Since no one has come up with recomendations for Florence or Rome, I checked my "Special Places to Stay", and found this in Florence:
http://www.florencepalace.com/index.html

of which Alastair Sawday says, "Sweetest of all is the rooftop terrace, where you may gaze. . .over the famous rooftop jumble of Florence. You pay for it, and you will be lavishly, unstintingly spoiled."

and this in Rome:
http://www.aventinohotels.com/ingles..._colosseum.htm

The book says two of the top rooms have terraces, although the website doesn't mention that, only balconies. It would be worth asking.

I know these aren't personal recommendations---I haven't stayed in either place---but maybe this will provide a start for further suggestions for Rome and Florence.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:15 AM

check out the B&B in piazza della signoria in Florence

http://www.inpiazzadellasignoria.com/inglese/camere.php

Beautiful rooms overlooking the Piazza. We loved it there.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Check the itineraries on www.elegantetruria.com for a list of lovely places in central Italy with historic connections.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
MaureenB

Yes, you can dine at the La Calcina restaurant without being guests of the hotel. It is a very nice restaurant, sitting on a wooden deck at waterside with nice views. We enjoyed Mother's Day brunch there.
If you click on my name above, you can find my recent trip reports of Rome, Florence and Venice. Although we stayed in simpler hotels ourselves, I do note some more upscale and romantic hotels in each city in my reports, along with websites and/or e-mail addresses. Also good restaurants in each city.
Have fun. Your itinerary sounds good. I might choose 3 nights for Florence, and 2 for Venice, but that's purely personal.

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your information. I sincerely appreciate it. I inquired about La Calcina, but they are already booked. I like the Albergo Del Senato or Hotel Gladiatori in Rome; am looking at Foscari Palace in Venice; and am really unsure about Florence. I know the least about this city. So I appreciate the Florence information tremendously. I CAN'T WAIT!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Yes, check out Sandi's suggestion in Florence. I thought it quite romantic and not too costly.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM

A lovely "splurge" hotel in Florence is the Lungarno, right on the river and a block from the Ponte Vecchio.

In Venice, another option is the Flora, on a quiet side street in the San Marco area. I've stayed there several times and have always enjoyed it. Some rooms are plain so if you choose it, specify that you'd like something special.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Kathvav,

My husband and I did the same thing for our 10th. In Florence we stayed at Villa San Michelle (one of my favorite hotels in in the world!)
The hotel is high on a hill overlooking Florence and the view is simply incredible!! It's truly a splurge hotel so be prepared to spend some $$$

http://www.villasanmichele.com/web/o...a1a_splash.jsp

Happy Anniversary!!!

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:29 PM

I'll respond to your itinerary question.... depending on your interests... I think there is more to do in Florence and Rome then Venice.

Also, have you thought about spending any time in the country? While we love the big cities, we enjoy the downtime to chill in Tuscany. Would you rent a car? We found a small place in Tuscany and very much enjoyed the break from the craziness of the cities.

just my 2 cents.