Romantic Hotel in Scotland

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romantic Hotel in Scotland

We have our entire honeymoon itinerary booked, except for the last night in Scotland, and we've been trying to get hold of Ardanaiseg, which looked beautiful and romantic. Well, we finally got hold of them and they're all booked up because of a wedding! This was our "splurge" hotel, and we want it for one night at the end of August. It should be close enough to Edinburgh that we can drive to the airport the next day (flight to London at 7:30 pm) and we're coming from the West (the Drover's Inn to be exact). Any suggestions for a substitute night of romance? I am very sad about Ardanaiseig!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:02 PM

If you would like to stay in Edinburgh, try The Witchery. We will be staying there in September, and that was our one "splurge" hotel. The rooms look and sound amazing. Of course they better be for the pretty penny we are paying!! Here is the link:
www.thewitchery.com
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:20 PM

We stayed at The Balmoral. Adjacent to the Waverly station. Great location and a grand hotel. 5 stars.
John
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, I don't think a hotel IN Edinburgh will work, as we've left this rather late, and it's festival time (we have accommodations booked in Edinburgh at the beginning of our trip). We're looking for something pretty much anywhere in Scotland, except the North East will be difficult to get to from the Drover's Inn, and the Very far North will make it hard to get to Edinburgh afterwards.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:05 PM

We are booked into Ardanaiseg later in the year, but I also looked at Taychreggan Hotel as an alternative. Nearby, also romantic looking. website is taychregganhotel.co.uk
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Try the Monachyle Mhor at Balquhidder(incidentally the Drover's Inn is well east of Loch Awe);

The Loch Melfort south of Oban

The Ardeonaig Hotel on Loch Tay

Peat Inn in Fife

The Highland in Stirling

Is Gleneagles out of the question?

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Kinnaird near Dunkeld is one of the nicest places we have ever stayed - lovely decor, wonderful food, peaceful setting. Not sure exactly how long a drive it is from Edinburgh - my recollection is that it is less than 2 hours away.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to second the Peat Inn and is it too late for Houstoun House, just outside Edinburgh? Also, Greywalls Hotel in Gullane.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:25 AM

We didn't stay at the Witchery in Edinburgh, but everything we heard was that it was very romantic and quite the experience....same with the Balmoral. We like bed and breakfasts and I think the nicest is the Leny House Estate in Collander. Collander is a nice location to see Sterling and get back to Edinburgh rather quickly.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:09 AM

Perhaps you might enjoy the Marriott Dalmahoy Golf and Country Club hotel. Very close to airport, excellent rooms, wonderful grounds. You might try for a room in the original building, though the ones in the newer wing are quite nice. Excellent dining as well. Check it out on the Marriott web site. Very nice place and most convenient to airport. We enjoyed our stay there very much.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:26 AM

If you don't consider "romantic" to be synonomous with "luxury" then you might try the New Cramond Inn, across the Firth of Forth from Edinburgh, and absolutely the most charming, evocative, atmospheric little inn I've ever seen. Not only that, but the food from their kitchen is incredible. Good luck.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:56 AM

You might like Castle Venlaw. It's located in Peebles, which is about a 1/2 hour from Edinburgh, as I recall. Beautiful views, lovely staff and rooms, nice restaurant and lounge (library/bar kind of thing).

Here's the URL:

http://www.celticcastles.com/castles/venlaw/